I have the transmission installed and running.
I ended up using a JW wheel for an ultra bell with the JW crankshaft adapter. I also used .130 shim for the starter, instead of stacking shims I used a JW shim for a pattern and cut one out with a plasma cutter. I did not have to use the starter extension, the starter still fits into the register on the Reid bell.
The starter sounds great, the alignment is far superior to the adapter plate that I was using.
The only problem I had with instalation was that the bell is quite a bit wider than the stock powerglide because of the kick-out for the starter. When installing I had to roll the trans on it's side to get it up through the frame rails, this makes it a two person job.
In my opinion the Reid case and bell is a very nice piece and is a better option than the adapter plate setup. First you won't have to deal with a glide case that is at least 40 years old and prone to cracking, second no external shields to deal with, third the bell bolts to the case not the pump and the starter alignment is great.
I hope this helps someone in the future.
I Really appreciate the help from all the people that posted replys to this thread, especially John.
Joe Davis