Quote:

I'm well aware of the tranny problems these trucks have had. I can get a sweet, clean 4x4 (98) for under a grand, but no reverse.

I can find my way around a 727 without even trying, how different are these? Or is this one of those things that I should leave it to a shop?

Also, what is the real reason for their failure, so it won't happen again?

piece of cake , it's pretty much a 727 from the back of maincase forward , the rear drum is held in place by a retaining ring and the rear band is different , but you'd swear it was a 727.

failure , the typical , either the front clutch is not working so it would have no 3rd gear , or a rear servo/band problem . they use electronic circuit for the gov. which is a plus.

front clutch problem could be the inner piston seal, the groove in the drum is machined too deep and after many many heat cycles it gets hard and stop sealing , the way to tell is to put it in reverse and the truck will not go into gear then all of a sudden slam hard into reverse , but since you have no reverse .... they sell a seal that is modified to take care of this issue , a new seal kit from transtar includes both seals

sonnex sells a modified OD piston retainer , get one it has an o ring seal to the case and modified surface that the drum rides on to prevent galling , add a .060 hole in the case to feed the sprag assembly like you would on a 727 .