Please help me diagnose what is wrong with my Durango.

It is a 1999 Durango, 2 wheel drive, 5.2L with 110K miles.

On Saturday night it drove just fine, on Sunday morning it wouldn’t start. It turns over just fine, but no sign of life. As soon as my wife heard it crank over too long, she said, “It’s not gonna start, this is exactly like it sounded (one day a month ago when it wouldn’t start in the morning, but when I tried it after work it stumbled to life and has been fine ever since).

My “clip-around the plug wire” type timing gun says there is spark going to all cylinders except cylinder 2. Even after changing the list of ignition related items below. I verified a decent looking spark by taking the #1 plug wire off, sticking in a new plug and resting it on the exhaust manifold.

There is fuel pressure in the fuel rail when I push in the valve, and the injectors are firing. I can hear them tick while cranking and I can smell the fuel.

While cranking it over I sprayed starting fluid down the wide open throttle body and still no sign of life. No backfire, no kick/burp/shutter/anything. This should pretty much take the fuel system out of the equation.

It has no active or pending diagnostic codes. Even after cranking it for 15 seconds with the code reader attached.

I have changed the coil, cap and rotor, and crank sensor, yet the symptoms have not changed. Still no sign of life, and still no spark in Cylinder 2.

WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE / EDUCATED GUESS / JUST PLAIN GUESS TO WHAT IS WRONG ? ? ?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Last edited by DaveKanofsky; 11/30/11 11:26 PM.

MOPARS ONLY!
'69 Daytona, '16 Plum Crazy Challenger, '12 Durango, '01 Sebring conv't

Chaplain, Racers For Christ (http://teamrfc.org/)
John 3:17