Quote:

But the Larger 3" ( ex #17769) Dmax ST of the same design has a taller and wider case and actually has eqaul to or slightly MORE cross sectional/flow area around the top and bottom [roughly 2X(3 1/2 x 1 1/4) or 8.75 sq in vs 7.068 sq in for a 3" pipe) of the center tube than the cross section of the pipe ID itself so the weak point you make is not a serious flow restriction issue.

But the 17769 "Hemi" muffler is only 2.5" inside with 3" hookups on the outside. It never was this way years ago, they used to be true .3" and 2.5" mufflers, but for whatever reason Dynomax has seen fit to reduce the inside diameters in more recent years. Obviously it is not just on the 3" but trickles down to the smaller sizes as proof by the OP's muffler cut up. So case size or not, there is still a internal restriction due to the smaller sized baffles inside.

We were just discussing this on another board and I noted that in the early mid ninties when I worked in a speed shop, they were still the true size, BUT, I remember the later ninties having a foot note in the catalog saying they were reduced diameter. That foot note no longer exists and they just sell them as is----which to me seems like false advertising.

Bottom line is it pays to research before buying nowadays.

Outcast Dodge guy.