I'm not going to deny the rule exist. I just personally think people are reading something into it.

My stock brake line runs across the stock steel firewall. Did in 1965 still does today in 2011. I have always had to do a personal chuckle about this rule. That brake line is no closer a threat than the stock proportioning valve or distribution located inside the frame on all our cars. I looked at this in great length when I moved the master cylinder to the floor. It is outside the inner framerail. This framerail is not on any stock car, it is part of the tube back half. The line in question is not in the tunnel it is several inches up the firewall.

I have personally been to several dozen NHRA sanctioned tracks. The events were not NHRA. I have been to a lot of IHRA tracks also. The NHRA inspector has teched my chassis numerous times and the hood was at home. He looked the car over in general conversation, had nothing to do with the chassis cert. Never once mentioned this brake line. Maybe he just did not see it for the black paint. Would it be a good investment to tube over the line, absolutely. Will it be done anytime soon, probably not. And just for info. The car ran 8.0's in the quarter at a dozen tracks. So it is a little slow. Maybe that is why nothing has ever been said.

Not telling you to do anything un safe. But, I would rather tube the line in its existing location than run it around the K-member where the crank can reach it. Let's say if I were to drive over the crank.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.