my combo will definitely handle the roller, beehive springs and ~6k on the revs. a rev limiter will keep it from going too far and so bouncing lifters off of the lobe.

it's funny but as usual, there are solid arguments both ways here.

as far as the cam choice, i'll be sticking with tim at FHO, as all the parts are from him. it is more or less one of his engines, i'm just gathering all the other pieces and assembling it myself, so i'm going to stick with his recommendation either way.

i have emphasized to him many times that what i'm after is drivability and lack of maintenance. i don't want to have to tear it apart in 3500 miles to check the lifters, i want to drive it.

with the package he runs, this hydraulic grind with solid lifters, he has assured me that as long as the valve lash is kept right, this will fit the bill: best performance for the buck, still being street-able, and maintenance free. (more or less, adjusting the valves periodically, but i don't mind that at all).

the one thing that really gets me is that there seems to be a higher than desired failure rate among lifters these days. don't know if that is the case or just perceived, but even tim is looking around at different lifters.

anyway, i'm still undecided. thanks for all the input, i'll post which way i go in the end.