I’m getting ready to get serious about finding a 518 for my 37 dodge PU project. The truck will be powered by a naturally aspirated 331 Hemi, 10:1 compression and a SWAG is 350 HP/400TQ. The rearend is a Dana 60 with 4.56s (overkill I know but I had it). It will live mostly on the street, but occasionally taken to the strip, probably with a set of slicks.

Ideally what I hope to find is a complete donor truck that I can drive before I buy to make sure the transmission works OK before I pull it out (it will make it easier knowing the transmission is good when I go to wire up the OD and possibly lockup.

My first question is what year should I look for? One source says 88-93 and another says up to 95.

My initial thought is to find one with a lockup convertor. My thinking is the lockup should help keep transmission temperatures down on the highway. I also suspect the convertor will be a little looser than a non-lockup unit. I’ve heard the early lock up units were problematic. Are there years to stay away from, and will a lock-up convertor live if only used for highway driving?

What upgrades are recommended for the 518 itself …..I’m looking more for recommended durability mods rather than turning it into an all out race transmission. What is a good shift kit for these?

Should I just say the he!! with it and throw a 4 speed in it

Thanks

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)