Quote:

If you want to build a flat top open chamber no squish motor I guess you'll do it, and pay the price in detonation. But there is both performance and mileage to be had by doing what I described in my first post.

As far as I know there isn't a single open chamber engine being put in new cars sold in the USA at present. Since horsepower numbers keep going up and the car companies would kill their mothers for an extra 0.1 mpg for the fleet, that says something. The open chamber Mopar head design was a lazy approach to the smog control program starting in 1968. They could vary compression easily by changing the compression height of the piston. No close tolerances to maintain.

I don't know how much the pistons cost in a kit, but by themselves they are both heavy and expensive. $448 for a set will get you really close to some nice lighter forgings or past the KB184s I mentioned earlier.

R.

I take it by you guys response's that the speed pro is not the correct style piston lol. We will be using the KB 184 like dogdays suggested. I was just looking at all angles cause I am spending someone else's money. Thats for all the very helpful info guys!

Josh