“......Unfortunately, there is no "cheap" 9" rear that will bolt into an A-body that will handle much power. 28 spline axles and small bearings will not last long……”

Ain’t that the truth. The narrowest factory 9” rears are 58” (axel flange to axel flange). The 58” version is found under 57-59 Ford Station Wagons and has 28 spline axels, usually an open differential, and rear brake drums are almost impossible to find. The other 58” unit is under the first generation Broncos, big advantage is they are 31 spline axels. Both are getting hard to find and usually not that cheap when you do. The Maverick rears are all 8” by the way.

I recently built a 9” for my 507 Cadillac powered El Camino. I started out with a $100 junk yard 59 wagon rear end and by the time it was under the El Camino I had well over $1000 in it (using the original 28 spline axels and brake drums, doing all the work myself and buying parts at my shop cost....if I had farmed it out double that cost). When you start adding up the cost of really setting up a 9” for other than just mild street use (which is how mine is) the built it gets real expensive.

Most of the 9” rears you are going to find will be too wide anyway, so figure adding the cost of narrowing the housing and custom axels. With what junk yard truck Dana 60’s can be found for (often with decent gears and LSDs) and the cost they are getting for narrowing them, you’re not any ahead using a Ford 9”.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears) under construction