I have done what your considering. I started with a 26' tag enclosed, pulled it with a 87 ramcharger, like 5 miles each way to Edgewater, then used a 2500 87 dodge truck with a 360. It was not enough truck for that 26' trailer going through the mountains, burnt valves in the 360 plus it was a pretty hairy ride.
Then bought a new 93 3500 4 wheel truck, not a dually. It did a great job with a 454 gas motor. Then put a ball in the bed and bought a 40' gooseneck trailer enclosed. It towed better and easier than the 26' tag. I think your 2500 truck should be alright for a while, depending on where you tow.

Then got a 99 dually new with a 454 and 456 gears. It would pull great at about 6 miles to the gal.
Then bought a 49' trailer and used the dually for about a year, it was way too much trailer for my dually. It did have 3 engines,3 trans, hundreds of clutch plates, couple hundred gals of water and fuel.
Then I bought the toterhome, it'll pull almost anything.
You don't need a CDL because we are racing for fun. There's no sponsor name on my trailer. Recreational use does not require CDL, no matter how big and heavy your rig is.
In Ohio no special license is needed, saddle up and go!!

I have driven coast to coast and have never stopped at a weigh station and have never been stopped for speeding because I don't speed.