Thanks for the replies everyone, I couldn't get back to my computer yesterday night so here are answers to some of your questions. The cam fit well and turned freely with 2 fingers, the block was prepped by a knowledgeable Mopar only engine builder and was checked for cracks and machined before the cam bearings were installed. The main and rod bearings are still in great shape, no excessive wear and no evidence of debris. The engine block was cleaned and prepped by the engine machinist, then I cleaned it again "just to be sure",including all the oil pasages from the lifter galley to the mains and cam bearings. The mains were installed correctly, with the groovs in the top, and the cam would still get oil regardless of the mains orientation and since the mains are good, I know this to be true. The engine was primed for about 10 minutes before ignition and I was turning the crank over by hand for about 5 minutes of that to be sure everything got oil.
It looks like the bearings began "wiping" and closing off the oil holes that feed the rockers and heads at some point of the 25 minutes it was running. The part that makes no sense is how can the cam bearings be destroyed if they had oil going to them, there was 70 psi of oil at startup and during the break-in.
Here is a pic of the cam bearings smearing themselves out of the bottom of their bores

6751435-IMG_0295.JPG (197 downloads)
Last edited by 70Sbird; 07/28/11 06:17 PM.