Quote:

It seems that you guys are forgetting the 1970/71 vent tube. In my 70, there is another pipe just behind the right rear wheelwell inside the trunk. 4 lines go from the gas tank UNDER the car into this tube, with a 5th one that runs out and forward to the engine compartment. This tube in the trunk is the same galvanized type and diameter as the filler tube. I seem to recall that this was an emissions thing that was later changed. I have seen this in A body cars in 1970 and 71 as well.

What he said...If you are pumping fuel into your tank and you dont have an exit for the fumes to go through, then you are creating a pressure inside the tank. Similar to a funnel inside a container, when you pour the liquid into the funnel, the vapor cant escape and it causes a pressure bubble to come past the liquid entering, except to a gasoline nozzle it means frequently shutting off. The vent on the filler neck isn't the problem. I have one on my 69 and it does it sometimes. The vent tube is too high up on the filler tube where it wont allow vapor to escape from the fuel tank. My 70 Charger had that vent tube hugging the wheel well on the passnger side. I remember mine having four 3/8" tubes on the tank underneath for emissions and vapor

Family owned 1969 Charger R/T DualQuad 440/727/GVO/3.55s