04/26/24 10:16 PM
04/26/24 10:16 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I'm going through my annual cable rate increase bs with my cable company. Last year they talked us out of conventional cable in favor of streaming tv to keep the rate down. Now, they are trying to talk us out of that and and into getting YouTube tv.in order to keep the rate down. Just wanted to ask if anyone here has YouTube tv and if so, how do you like it? Been also thinking about just saying eff-it and getting a digital antenna as well but we really like having the dvr provided by our cable company.

Re: YouTube TV [Re: 6PAX] #3229422
04/27/24 07:31 AM
04/27/24 07:31 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
If you have or can get fast internet you have options. It depends on what you like to watch. I have two "extra pay services"(HBO/Showtime etc...)on cable that are ok but don't have the amount of movies i like watch. They give you a hand full of new movies to watch per month and that's it. I watch more stuff via streaming than watch what's on cable. And the streaming is FREE(minus the internet cost). There are some services that charge but again it depends on what you like to watch.

Re: YouTube TV [Re: Moparite] #3229431
04/27/24 08:48 AM
04/27/24 08:48 AM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
I've had YouTube TV for 5 yrs after I dropped cable.
It's cheaper and has the channels I need.
It has gone up too, it has gone from $40 to $80 over the past 5 yrs.

Check online to see if they have the channels you want, no upfront fees, so just cancel if it doesn't work for you.

Re: YouTube TV [Re: BDW] #3229449
04/27/24 10:21 AM
04/27/24 10:21 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
YTTV is pretty cool, though it inexplicably quit allowing me access for a few days until a buddy figured out what it wanted for me to sign back in.

I changed from DishTV satellite to streaming when I moved, and it was maddening for some time.
The satellite was simple, got everything I wanted, recording & fast-forwarding, but here it's stupid expensive.
Drives me nuts when stuff just quits working, and getting access is a round-robin clusterf*^#.

MotorTrendTV seems really screwed up, worse now that it's Discovery+, so far haven't been able to access new programming.
AppleTV - got it for Masters Of The Air - suddenly wouldn't play new episodes, no tech help, so I cancelled it.
Electronics & computerization are generally hostile territory for me, but I get by...

Re: YouTube TV [Re: topside] #3229454
04/27/24 10:46 AM
04/27/24 10:46 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Try Youtube TV for a month. I dint have it but I read many are satisfied with it. There are several live TV streaming packages out there and YTTV is a popular one. If you get a TV antenna don't fall for BS and hype. An antenna made in 1959 will pull in the modern TV signal just like it did the original analog signal. Viewable reception depends on your distance from the broadcast towers and your terrain. If your more than 45 miles away an outdoor antenna is absolutely the best. This is one of several sites that reveal your homes distance from your broadcast towers. Enter your address and it will show you what stations are available, distance and signal strength. Stay away from Antennas that look like spaceships sold on Amazon. Channel Master, Mohu, Clearstream and Televes are some fantastic legit antennas. The traditional aluminum pole and rod antenna works fine as well- some homes already have one on their roof or on a tower and have not used it in decades.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: YouTube TV [Re: 2boltmain] #3229484
04/27/24 12:46 PM
04/27/24 12:46 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
late at night [between 2-5 or 6am] i will watch old black and white gangster or noire movies on u-tube.
i just talk into the tv remote and say : "u-tube gangster movies".
u-tube comes up with their selection of those old movies[having a picture with the date and title of them], and i gust click on the one i want to watch.
as i have everything "bundled" through comcast/x-finity, there are no extra charges on my monthly bill.
i'm sure i could watch other things, as just saying : "u-tube" into the remote brings up a key pad on the tv screen, and i think i could just type "whatever" out using the back, forward, up, and down keys on the remote, then press enter, and it would search the "tube" for whatever i typed in previously.
i have never tried it though.
beer

Re: YouTube TV [Re: moparx] #3229612
04/27/24 10:56 PM
04/27/24 10:56 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
We kicked Spectrum to the curb over a year ago. We have Verizon 5G internet at $25/month. We then use basic Hulu and Netflix so combined I have about $50/month for internet and TV. I also bought a $25 digital antenna that gets me all the local stations plus some(about 52)Way more TV than we need and zero cable company drama! We are saving almost $100/month!

Re: YouTube TV [Re: Dcuda69] #3229721
04/28/24 12:45 PM
04/28/24 12:45 PM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
as i have everything "bundled" through comcast/x-finity, there are no extra charges on my monthly bill.

You have internet from them so you can get all this. I am not paying for crapcast's high priced internet. I just seen a Verizon commercial for 5G home internet. Not available here and i live in a populated area. Check out Tubi,Freevee,fawesome and all the other streaming services. If you have of can get fast internet you should be in luck to find something you like.

Last edited by Moparite; 04/28/24 12:46 PM.
Re: YouTube TV [Re: Moparite] #3229942
04/29/24 11:56 AM
04/29/24 11:56 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
sadly, the city has a contract with comcast, so the only other option i have is dish or the other one like it [which i can't recall it's name].
and my dish experience was horrendous !
the installation "kid" [he couldn't have been over 22-24 at the most] showed up during a monsoon, and promptly tacked the dish to my brand new garage roof ! flame
then ran the wires just up and over the roof, without running them neatly and out of the way of any danger, such as sliding snow, roof maintenance, etc.
draped it on the house siding, sticking out like a sore thumb, [black wire against a light tan siding] before drilling a LARGE hole for a SMALL wire, then filling the hole with dum-dum and spray foam.
got the tv working, then left.
after about 3 weeks of having nothing but trouble getting the tv to change channels, then talking to "JOE" [yeah, right ! his name was probably habibe......] for hours on end trying to sort things out, i said the hell with this, and cancelled, luckily within the window that wouldn't have cost me anything.
when i called up to cancel, they wanted me to send back the box on my dime. i told 'em since i had nothing but trouble from the get go, they better come and get it ! and while they were picking it up, they could fix my new roof as well, since they drilled a bunch of holes in it !
never heard from them again............
i finally tossed the box and dish at the recycle junkyard, but i used the dish mounting and bracketry material in future projects. devil
even though i might bit$h about the cable cost, it has been virtually trouble free since..............
beer