C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by FurryStump
I also did that but remember the turn and brake filament are the same.
up iagree work

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Trailer wiring [Re: FurryStump] #3228282
04/20/24 01:55 PM
04/20/24 01:55 PM
Martinsville, IN
C
cdwmotorsports Offline OP
pro stock
cdwmotorsports  Offline OP
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by FurryStump
I also did that but remember the turn and brake filament are the same.

Your diagram reminded me of that once I actually sat and saw it drawn out. Thanks again

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Re: Trailer wiring [Re: Cab_Burge] #3228288
04/20/24 02:12 PM
04/20/24 02:12 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
just went through a similar situation with my buddy's 54 chevy custom.
it is using 6, 59 cadillac bullet tail lights, [three on each side, frenched into the fenders.]
as he is using the original 54 turn signal switch and wires, he added relays at the tail lights because he figured the multiple tail lights would be an excessive load on the original turn signal and brake light switches.
adding a relay to each bank of rear lights, every imaginal wiring combination of the relays would not make the rear lights function as they should. he would get brake lights on one side only, turn signals that would work one side or the other, but not both, or act as 4 ways, and other goofy combinations of both side rear lights.
i investigated his wiring, and it "seemed" the relays were wired correctly, and i even tried a couple of different ways to wire the relays, including using the ground to activate them. nothing worked. these were good quality bosch OEM relays.
sometimes, the relays would just "hum", and the lights would do nothing.
so just for grins, a pair of 1157 sockets were wired into the rear light harness in series with the caddy tail lights, and now the lights work as they should !
it seems there wasn't enough draw through the relays to trigger the flashers used in the turn signal and 4 way circuits through the original turn signal switch.
adding the extra 1157 bulbs in the tail light circuit[s] brought enough draw to allow the turn signals to work correctly, as well as the brake lights. [even though conventional wisdom would say using the three 1157 bulbs on each rear light circuit should be enough draw to trigger the flasher]
i have never ran into this before, but am tossing this out there for others to learn from, if having troubles in this area.
there are no issues with excess heat in either the tail light wiring, or the relay wiring.
he is going to mount these extra bulbs and sockets behind the upholstery side panels in the trunk, close to the 1/4 panels on the rear of the wheel tubs.
i couldn't believe how this problem needed to be fixed, but i wrote it down for future use.
beer

Re: Trailer wiring [Re: moparx] #3228332
04/20/24 07:58 PM
04/20/24 07:58 PM
Martinsville, IN
C
pro stock
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by moparx
just went through a similar situation with my buddy's 54 chevy custom.
it is using 6, 59 cadillac bullet tail lights, [three on each side, frenched into the fenders.]
as he is using the original 54 turn signal switch and wires, he added relays at the tail lights because he figured the multiple tail lights would be an excessive load on the original turn signal and brake light switches.
adding a relay to each bank of rear lights, every imaginal wiring combination of the relays would not make the rear lights function as they should. he would get brake lights on one side only, turn signals that would work one side or the other, but not both, or act as 4 ways, and other goofy combinations of both side rear lights.
i investigated his wiring, and it "seemed" the relays were wired correctly, and i even tried a couple of different ways to wire the relays, including using the ground to activate them. nothing worked. these were good quality bosch OEM relays.
sometimes, the relays would just "hum", and the lights would do nothing.
so just for grins, a pair of 1157 sockets were wired into the rear light harness in series with the caddy tail lights, and now the lights work as they should !
it seems there wasn't enough draw through the relays to trigger the flashers used in the turn signal and 4 way circuits through the original turn signal switch.
adding the extra 1157 bulbs in the tail light circuit[s] brought enough draw to allow the turn signals to work correctly, as well as the brake lights. [even though conventional wisdom would say using the three 1157 bulbs on each rear light circuit should be enough draw to trigger the flasher]
i have never ran into this before, but am tossing this out there for others to learn from, if having troubles in this area.
there are no issues with excess heat in either the tail light wiring, or the relay wiring.
he is going to mount these extra bulbs and sockets behind the upholstery side panels in the trunk, close to the 1/4 panels on the rear of the wheel tubs.
i couldn't believe how this problem needed to be fixed, but i wrote it down for future use.
beer

MoparX that is an interesting problem? Are his taillights LED?

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Re: Trailer wiring [Re: cdwmotorsports] #3228343
04/20/24 10:00 PM
04/20/24 10:00 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Did you try an electronic flasher to get the caddy turn lights flashinh correctly. https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...CALACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Re: Trailer wiring [Re: stumpy] #3228403
04/21/24 12:58 PM
04/21/24 12:58 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
the lights are just ordinary 1157 bulbs, not LED's, and we also tried a couple of electronic flashers as well as several different styles of regular flashers of different manufacturers in both standard and heavy duty units.
we are both glad the lights are working now as they are supposed to, and we both are not completely bald from pulling all our hair out...........
beer

Re: Trailer wiring [Re: moparx] #3228413
04/21/24 01:52 PM
04/21/24 01:52 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Run a relay for the running lights. Pick up the load from the battery or a battery junction. Use the running light circuit to turn the relay on. Mount it right by the battery and run a 10ga wire to the trailer plug.Takes that load off the switch.

I burned up probably 4 switches in my old dually before doing that.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Trailer wiring [Re: cdwmotorsports] #3228494
04/21/24 09:46 PM
04/21/24 09:46 PM
Ohio
*unknown_user* Offline
*unknown_user*  Offline

Ohio
No need to piece this together.

Tekonsha trailer wiring

I use the direct fit version of this box (plugs into the existing light harness without the sensing feature of this universal one) on my daily, works great.

Re: Trailer wiring [Re: *unknown_user*] #3228674
04/22/24 11:13 PM
04/22/24 11:13 PM
Martinsville, IN
C
pro stock
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by *unknown_user*
No need to piece this together.

Tekonsha trailer wiring

I use the direct fit version of this box (plugs into the existing light harness without the sensing feature of this universal one) on my daily, works great.

Bosch brand relays are $4.99 a piece, I'm more than capable of handling this task. I'm not spending $170 on something I'll have less than $50 in and if a part of it goes bad I don't have to spend $170 to fix it.

Last edited by cdwmotorsports; 04/22/24 11:15 PM.

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Page 2 of 2 1 2