Moparts

Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car?

Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 04:10 AM

I am ruling out a cage, at least at this point, for various reasons in my Barracuda. Part of that is keeping a relatively stock interior, which leads into trying to find a better seat harness that will keep me in the seat.

I ran the retractable version of these harnesses in my Jeep, liked them ok, but wanted to go to the double-release version [linked]. My primary concern is with the geometry of the stock E-body buckets, they aren't very conducive to aftermarket harnesses.

http://corbeau.com/other/harness-belts/3-point-double-release-harness-belt.html

For those not familiar with the E-body buckets:

I am looking to see if anyone here has these in their car. I don't think the side support on the stock seats [there isn't any] is enough to do much with, but it's worth asking.

The theory is to anchor the top down between the back seat cushions, if I need access to the back or someone needs to ride back there, I can unbuckle the Corbeau harness and run the lap belts without any trouble at all.

Thanks for the input!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 04:46 AM

"Stock interior look, keep you in the seat better". You left out any reference to safety of the occupant. I don't see what you have pictured as any solution other then stock look. The between the seats mounting angle is a huge compromise, you know that already, the width and shape of the seat back will only induce the v belt to slip off and down, and I'm on record many times of the risk of using any shoulder harness without a 5th+ belt. You need to widen your options, this is not it, IMO.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 06:07 AM

The issue with these old cars is there's nothing to brace your legs on. Then I'm hanging on the steering wheel trying to stay up in the seat.

its kinda gimmicky, but i know guys that use this with OK results. not safety, but for autox stock classes where you cant change your seat, just to keep you in your seat:
http://www.jegs.com/i/G-Force/471/4290BU...CFdgNgQodeiYA3A

a three point is not going to work without a passthrough/adj headrest posts or something to locate the shoulder straps. Then you need a harness bar so you don't compress your spine (and anchor to) if you actually hit something. Otherwise i would only consider a three point for autox pylons.

one of you enterprising types need to make a passthrough bezel in the manner the SRT4 ACR seat bezels that are no longer available. EDIT apparently my google foo is weak and ive been looking for the wrong thing. search "seat grommets". like such http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/c5-c6-z06...ness-belts.html shouldnt be terrible to install again you need belt higher than your shoulders.

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 01:13 PM

Between the seat anchoring could be moved to the package tray area [with proper support] if necessary. But the V not being constrained on the seat back was my biggest concerned and just wanted to hear it verified.

The belt pass-throughs may be a pretty reasonable compromise and a way to put a better harness in the car.
Posted By: Brian

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 03:42 PM

Mike,

I've seen NHRA racers bring there stock seats to an upholstery shop and have them punch the holes into the tops of the seat hack where the shoulder belts run. It looked awesome!
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 06:46 PM

The shoulder harnesses need to be mounted above the shoulders, if not, when you get in a rapid deceleration event you will get serious spinal compression. In basic terms if you get in a head on collision, you will hurt your back seriously due to the belts. Tim
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/19/15 08:02 PM

You can make a harness bar that mounts to the backseat seatbelt anchors and then run your front harnesses around that. I think Mr. Angry has one of those is his Charger or Daytona.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/25/15 03:55 AM

Not an expert on the belts... though I'm thinking of the backseat anchored 3 point. On the seats... I think the stock E body seats basically suck for both handling and distance driving. No side support and weak back support. For OE resto, no question fix up the stockers. For handling you really need a better seat. My solution was Scat rally seats. Good side support and good back support. Available at reasonable cost from Summit with matching brackets for an "E". Just have to hacksaw off 2 of the 3 mounting locations to get the seat at the right height. Not a full race seat but 1000% better than stock. Also does not look out of place too much in a 70's car. Comfortable as well for long drives for me at least (eg. IL to CA in 3 days, back in the same time).

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/25/15 04:58 AM

As far as belts you can easily convert to retractable 3 points just like New cars have. Wesco is what mine are.
Posted By: Dr Dave

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/30/15 06:55 AM

We're the wesco belts a direct bolt in?

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 06/30/15 06:59 AM

Yes as long as you have the roof bolts for the shoulder belts. My car is a 72 and had them. If you car only has factory lap belts then you cant use the 3 point retractables.

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/01/15 05:41 AM

'71 Cuda. The headliner has been replaced and there are no clips or belts visible above the door but I'm thinking all '71's had the shoulder belt, so the mounting plate should be there. Am I right?

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/01/15 07:07 AM

I think so, I think even 69's had them.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/01/15 07:27 AM

build date on mine was 10/69 and it has the plates

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/02/15 01:17 AM

Did you use an extender strap from the top mount to the shoulder belt and how long?
Thanks!

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/02/15 02:58 AM

There are I think a standard length extended upper sash that IIRC is 8-9" long. Wesco brand.

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/02/15 03:04 AM

The van ones are what're in my car. Only difference is they have the 8" upper sash........... http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/3poresebewil.html

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/02/15 03:13 AM

The XV 3-points look pretty reasonably priced, might go down that route for now.
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/06/15 03:08 AM

Tom Quad ran the shoulder anchor to the package tray with a reinforcement plate on the underside of the package tray inside the trunk on the Black n Blue Charger. Somewhere on the board is a picture of how he mounted the belts.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1230869/2.html

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/06/15 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By PHJ426
Tom Quad ran the shoulder anchor to the package tray with a reinforcement plate on the underside of the package tray inside the trunk on the Black n Blue Charger. Somewhere on the board is a picture of how he mounted the belts.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1230869/2.html
I want to do this for my back seat folks. Also would love a 4 point for the center rear position.

Re: Anyone with Corbeau 3-point harness belts in their old car? - 07/06/15 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
The XV 3-points look pretty reasonably priced, might go down that route for now.
Those are identical to my Wesco's other than the XV logo's. They are as nice a belt as you would want IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums