Moparts

Alterkation drag only setup

Posted By: dart440_72

Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:23 AM

So I have been considering an Alterkation setup for the front of my 72 Dart. The car is a drag car that sees very limited street. I like the fact that the rack and pinion is there. The stock steering on my car is pretty sketchy, maybe the box needs to be rebuilt, or maybe that is how old Mopar boxes are. So I just wanted some feedback from people that have used this setup and how it works. Is there enough front end travel for launch? how is stability at the top end?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:42 AM

It is the most copied mopar aftermarket front end, I think that in itself speaks volumes. And IMO, they copy it not to improve it, but to try and get a piece of the $ action, so having a lower price helps in that regard, but its still a copy.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:43 AM

I am pretty sure Magnumforce was first by a few years.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:58 AM

I put one on the Valiant

The price is crazy $5500 shipped to me

Nice piece , I wanted to buy it raw and less some stuff to get it cheaper, nope

Posted By: Dragula

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:14 AM

I have two Magnum Force units on two cars, what do you want to know? One is street/strip, the other race only for now...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:20 AM

Quote:

I put one on the Valiant

The price is crazy $5500 shipped to me

Nice piece , I wanted to buy it raw and less some stuff to get it cheaper, nope

You can buy a Strange strut assembly with everything
but the rack for $1800-$2000 and thats with brakes..
this is the way I went on the Rampage.. lighter and
way cheaper
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:22 AM

I got mine without motor mounts , but with everything else a couple - three years back and it came unpainted.
It was less than 5.5k , but inflation and pricing on the stuff Bill doesn't build might explain the jump.
I haven't had mine rolling under power yet , but I think I am days away.
Quality of build and materials is first rate though.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

I have two Magnum Force units on two cars, what do you want to know? One is street/strip, the other race only for now...

On the street/strip car, does the rack turn as much as the stock box??
What made you go with MF ??
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:24 AM

http://hemidenny.com/

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=224738&highlight=hemi+denny

might want to look at this one also...he builds a complete A body front end with rack n pinion steering...plus coil over shock front end.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:25 AM

Might depend on how much front suspension travel you need to make your car hook. The stock setup works pretty well on slower cars, on really fast cars you'll probably want a strut setup. The AlterK is designed for cars in the middle.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:49 AM

Love mine, been 162mph with it.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:51 AM

It's probably the least expensive of them all.

Built by STR fab.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:06 AM

pdf file from hemi denny front end..

Attached File
8237447-HDKK-Frame.pdf  (749 downloads)

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:08 AM

updated picture...

Attached picture 8237452-IMG_20140226_142723_218.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:14 AM

sorry... only been a buck twenty and some change so far . I have no regrets so far with the tube K. Header builder appreciated how the frame tubes were tucked tight to the frame. The Alter-k ones protrude into the engine bay quite a bit as he "noted" on a couple other builds. Love the room, no working around torsion bars, steers like a dream. Can't wait to put more to it!

Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

sorry... only been a buck twenty and some change so far . I have no regrets so far with the tube K. Header builder appreciated how the frame tubes were tucked tight to the frame. The Alter-k ones protrude into the engine bay quite a bit as he "noted" on a couple other builds. Love the room, no working around torsion bars, steers like a dream. Can't wait to put more to it!

What kit is this?
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:40 AM

J body, is there any kind of a strut rod on the LCA? it seems pretty narrow to me (keeping in mind that triangles are stronger) I'm sure it works for strip use but wonder how it would handle street abuse. Just thinking out loud, maybe learn something
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 06:08 AM

I use a alterkation in my Dart. If you ever plan on doing any stock suspension racing or KOS, DO not put struts in it.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 06:17 AM

It's a race car and was built as such.... Mike at Comp Chassis in Glendale AZ made this one. Not his first rodeo. As far as I know he doesn't sell them "as is", but will make them for the car. If I would have kept the Mirada this would have been the next step. Losing pounds off the front of that car would have been great!

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 06:19 AM

.....speaking of easier to work on, love that open engine compartment Bigtimeauto!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 11:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it turns as far, but note the wheel stance is a tad wider and lower and I run skinnies up front so if you run stock wheels and tire it might be different.

I went with them because they were the only company at the time making such a kit back in 99...Now a days, there are more to choose from. The second car I did just this past winter. I am happy with it, but their customer service can suck. It was almost 4 weeks late....It really almost cancelled my race season.

The Altercation will be easier to install. I really didn't need the extra shock tower, so I went with MF....Some people claim the coil overs are too much strain on the uni body stock shock towers. I can say, its been on my car over 10 years with no issues.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 01:17 PM

I have one on my Challenger, the biggest draw back is lack of shock selection and frontend travel. It could really use about three more inches of travel to be a great drag racing front suspension.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:08 PM

Quote:

I'll research that, and is that reported design still in use and/or copied by anybody, to the point was it worthy?

Kinda ironic the whole topic, as in the handling section here there are usually two opposite views on RMS front ends, one side saying how weak/lame the design is, and here there are many copies/examples IMO a lot less robust then RMS, so not sure if they are dangerously weak, or the robustness is unnecessary.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

I have one on my Challenger, the biggest draw back is lack of shock selection and frontend travel. It could really use about three more inches of travel to be a great drag racing front suspension.

Yes that is the problem with Riley's front end hemi Denny front end and Jay Waxlers front end, short front shocks. Mine use stock location shocks and has six inch Afco shocks.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:18 PM

This kit also uses your factory spindle so you can use your existing brakes.
Posted By: psycomopar

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:34 PM

1967dartgt who's front-end Is yours? Str fab? Where are they located. Looks like what I'm after for mine. Like the setup.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes that is the problem with Riley's front end hemi Denny front end and Jay Waxlers front end, short front shocks.

3" more travel???

wow didn't know my front end had a problem.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes that is the problem with Riley's front end hemi Denny front end and Jay Waxlers front end, short front shocks.

3" more travel???

With cal tracs it would be a issue. With four links and ladder bars it's not a problem.
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:56 PM

What about Bob.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 03:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3" more travel???

With cal tracs it would be a issue. With four links and ladder bars it's not a problem.

you meant to type with good shocks and a properly setup suspension its not a problem

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:06 PM

school me on the "longer shock" deal please.... is it due to dealing with the "rise" of a leaf spring car? no clue here.

There was a pretty long post last year on tube K's and lots of picts. Probably the first one that didn't turn into a "he copied" bash fest.

I had three sets of springs on the front playing around before the car ever hit the track.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 04:11 PM

Quote:

school me on the "longer shock" deal please.... is it due to dealing with the "rise" of a leaf spring car? no clue here.

There was a pretty long post last year on tube K's and lots of picts. Probably the first one that didn't turn into a "he copied" bash fest.

I had three sets of springs on the front playing around before the car ever hit the track.

Calvert like 5"`s of travel although some get away w/less I hear.........

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3" more travel???

you meant to type with good shocks and a properly setup suspension its not a problem

It is a problem here with a big tire ladder bar car. When the weather heats up around here my Challenger becomes pretty useless. We see track temps in the 150+ degrees range and more front travel here would help the car hook on a more consistent basis. We race on a bracket prep so it's not always the best. When the hot weather comes around I usually run my small block big tire Dart Sport with the Bob's Pro Fab front suspension on it with 6" of travel and Afco shocks.
I do like the RMS setup. It is very well built.
Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:14 PM

I had an Alterkation kit on the front of my 65 Valiant. Good money spent. The car was a ladder bar rear suspension car. Car ran low 10's. Worked great with the ladder bar.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:24 PM

How much travel the front needs has absolutely ZERO to do with anything about the rear suspension, what type, or what size tire you have. It has to do with car setup, weight percentage, power and how much (if any) pitch rotation your car needs to hook.

I have seen leaf spring cars need 4" and I have seen leaf spring cars need 1".......same with ladder bars and 4-links.

Every time there is a Calvert post, it is immediately said that "Calvert says" you need 5"............maybe on a low hp something that needs a LOT of pitch rotation, but usually not on anything with power and a decent tire.

And if you car won't hook with ladder bars, big tires and 3" or so of front travel..........the front is NOT the problem

Monte

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

How much travel the front needs has absolutely ZERO to do with anything about the rear suspension, what type, or what size tire you have. It has to do with car setup, weight percentage, power and how much (if any) pitch rotation your car needs to hook.

I have seen leaf spring cars need 4" and I have seen leaf spring cars need 1".......same with ladder bars and 4-links.

Every time there is a Calvert post, it is immediately said that "Calvert says" you need 5"............maybe on a low hp something that needs a LOT of pitch rotation, but usually not on anything with power and a decent tire.

And if you car won't hook with ladder bars, big tires and 3" or so of front travel..........the front is NOT the problem

Monte

Hence the "Calvert says you need 5" but some need less" response. Watchin the faster cars leave on a string w/little ft. end travel says a lot about suspension "controll"..............

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Monte

I never said the frontend was a problem. I have had this frontend since 2007 and have put nearly 2000 passes on and it has held up great. The original OP wanted opinions so I gave mine. With my kind of racing I need repeatability not just fast times so when a car varies in the 60' it makes things a lot harder on me to do my job. I have tried many things over the years to solve my issues including different front springs, custom valved front shocks, different driveshaft angles, ladder bar angles, rear shock settings, rear ride height, front ride height, moved weight around, and tire sizes. Nothing has really helped and when the tracks get hot around here which is from May-September I would really like more frontend travel.
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 08:53 PM

Quote:

Love mine, been 162mph with it.

Brad, Stop teasing me with all your pictures. I can't get it pinned downed . Shoot you a PM later today.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 08:57 PM

Does anybody know how much travel the Alterkation has? How much a stock front end has? how much the other aftermarket front ends have? How far can you extend the front before the ball joint angle becomes severe and tries to break? I mean if were going to say one is lacking lets see what it has in relation to the others. I mean with all of this travel I would love to see the bump steer measurements on these long travel front ends
I have never found a reason to measure any front end travel but maybe I will start making notes....

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 09:01 PM

Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 10:24 PM

bigtime, your front tires are nicely tucked under the front fenders for an alterkation, shorter control arms???

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 10:51 PM

Quote:

bigtime, your front tires are nicely tucked under the front fenders for an alterkation, shorter control arms???

yes I took .750 out of them. I think bill will do it also if you ask when you order it.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 11:00 PM

My Alterkation has 3.5" of travel, Bob's has 6" with more available by trimming the upper control arm stops. Again I'm not bad mouthing either or saying one is better. I have photos of both cars with the frontend in the air and I aligned both cars. Neither have any kind of bump steer issues.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 11:42 PM

Quote:

Neither have any kind of bump steer issues.

Measured or noticeable?
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/12/14 11:44 PM

i have had both altercation and hemiDenny.. i just put the HD on over the winter. i would recommend the HD... i did the complete front suspension with disc brakes for right at $3k. can not come close to that price with AK...

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

My Alterkation has 3.5" of travel, Bob's has 6" with more available by trimming the upper control arm stops. Again I'm not bad mouthing either or saying one is better. I have photos of both cars with the frontend in the air and I aligned both cars. Neither have any kind of bump steer issues.

my alerkation has 5" from my ride height

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 03:04 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know how much travel the Alterkation has? How much a stock front end has? how much the other aftermarket front ends have? How far can you extend the front before the ball joint angle becomes severe and tries to break? I mean if were going to say one is lacking lets see what it has in relation to the others. I mean with all of this travel I would love to see the bump steer measurements on these long travel front ends
I have never found a reason to measure any front end travel but maybe I will start making notes....

Really need to set up go pro on front end. My travel is limited by my coil over, which is the same shock they sell you for a stock front end. I have never tied down the front end yet, but like being able to loosen it up for the second qualifier at Cecil when the suns on the track. I also run radials which are a little more sensitive to tracks. I have not had traction issues since I switched my suspension around.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 03:22 AM

Jay,what rate front springs are you currently running?

I have been told by Calvert and few superstock racers, you need 5 inches of travel to get them to work. Like I stated to bigtime I haven't tried tying the front end down to see if less travel works. Now Ron Rhoades in his x275 camaro doesn't have the travel my front end does and he hooks fine with calverts. But he has a ton more power then I do. So I do know what you have to do to make a car work changes at different power levels.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 03:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No a rack does not turn as sharp, the rack runs out of travel. Well at least my rack does.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 03:56 AM

I'm currently running 10-300 afco springs. Had 350's on it, but they were way too stiff. I currently have the 300's at 8 15/16" compressed (free, no load). At ride height it's down to 7 1/4". Again... it'll be learn as i go. I've driven the car with the 360 in it, but with wrong converter, wrong gear it doesn't get out of it's own way off the line. At least when I put the W8 in I'm confident that it drives straight and true and stops well.... at low 120mph anyways

With the geometry differences between brand "A" and "B" front ends I'm sure spring rates and adjustment suggestions will vary.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 03:59 AM

...and I agree. The rack does not turn as sharp as the stock steering. I'll worry about that when i have to parallel park in the staging lanes.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:23 AM

I had a Magnum Force K frame and wasn't happy. It was in the car for about 4 months. Biggest issue was it pushed the front wheels out a lot and sat low. My tire caught the fender lip when backing up and turning and pulled the fender wheel opening out. I was not a happy camper!

Bob, looks like you front wheels are still where they belong, did you do anything with A arms to pull them in?

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:29 AM

Quote:

I'm currently running 10-300 afco springs. Had 350's on it, but they were way too stiff. I currently have the 300's at 8 15/16" compressed (free, no load). At ride height it's down to 7 1/4". Again... it'll be learn as i go. I've driven the car with the 360 in it, but with wrong converter, wrong gear it doesn't get out of it's own way off the line. At least when I put the W8 in I'm confident that it drives straight and true and stops well.... at low 120mph anyways

With the geometry differences between brand "A" and "B" front ends I'm sure spring rates and adjustment suggestions will vary.

I have 300 on my car now and want to try 275s, and I also have a set 350s if you need them.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

yes I took .750 out of them. I think bill will do it also if you ask when you order it.

Didn't know that was an option but everybody should do this.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You need to take .750 out of the rack also.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:37 AM

Quote:

...and I agree. The rack does not turn as sharp as the stock steering. I'll worry about that when i have to parallel park in the staging lanes.

Can you shorten the steering arm 1".. that would
help the degrees of turn.. thats what I did on my struts

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your not moving the inner pivot point so no reason
to change the rack

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 05:07 AM

would be hard to shorten my arms as they are aluminum. I'm not complaining... I have no need to turn that sharp.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

I have a pinto rack in mine, you have a mustang 2 rack which is wider. I didn't think you could get your rack/tierods that narrow.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where`d you get that ft. lower air dam?

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

he he want to buy one?

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 07:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

he he want to buy one?

Just may..............
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 08:09 PM

The first gen Camaro spoilers are common to use...you can search here for camaro spoiler and get some ideas.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 08:19 PM

Was thinking his was a Camaro deal by the looks of it but not sure and I can get those up the street at Unlimited.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 08:35 PM

Quote:

Was thinking his was a Camaro deal by the looks of it but not sure and I can get those up the street at Unlimited.

dam I can't make a dollar on these mopar sites!

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 08:37 PM

I got mine from summit for 49 dollars. Just a Camaro spoiler.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 08:53 PM

Quote:

They are a somewhat flexible plastic.... Classic Industries near here in Huntington has them by the zillions too.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 09:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How would this affect high speed stability? Make it more sensitive to steering input?

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

dam I can't make a dollar on these mopar sites!

Not steppin on your game Bigtime.............. Just thaught it looked good on your car and I can drive 10 minutes and grab one from my friend at Unlimited.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/13/14 09:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How would this affect high speed stability? Make it more sensitive to steering input?

Yes it does.. but I dont know of a rack that has more
than 3.5 turns.. most are 3.2... so if you want a
better turning radius you shorten the steering arm
or leave it for less input... I'm shortening mine
this winter 1" for a better radius.. mine is larger
than I want but yet its still has too much input
on the steering wheel.. it will make my set up better..
on the race car I lengthened the arms 1" to slow the
input.. on the track people tend to over steer and
get out of control due to it

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/14/14 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it does.. but I dont know of a rack that has more
than 3.5 turns.. most are 3.2... so if you want a
better turning radius you shorten the steering arm
or leave it for less input... I'm shortening mine
this winter 1" for a better radius.. mine is larger
than I want but yet its still has too much input
on the steering wheel.. it will make my set up better..
on the race car I lengthened the arms 1" to slow the
input.. on the track people tend to over steer and
get out of control due to it

After driving my car for 15 yrs, switching to the rack now I have trouble getting used to it on the street. Don't think I need to speed it up.

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/14/14 02:41 AM

Quote:

According one of the protagonists here, you are correct by who had a suspension offering first, the amount of time might still be up in the air
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/14/14 02:46 AM

Yeah I am unsure how long they have been doing it myself. I know they had them in 97 for sure. Way before the AlerterK stuff was out for the general public. I personally like the AlterK stuff but just wish he made a lighter version.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/14/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

What about Bob.

This^^^ Bobs Pro Fab for the win, for a strip car.
Posted By: demon440

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/14/14 05:03 AM

I have an AlterKtion front end on my Demon.
I think I paid like $3800. for it.
But that was a few years ago.
To the original poster, you are welcome to come
check it out if you would like. I live near Cleveland.

Attached picture 8239749-024.JPG
Posted By: chryco

Re: Alterkation drag only setup - 08/14/14 05:17 AM

Mag Force in mine , was the first out there (bought mine in 02' around $3600. I`ve had both sitting side by side on my garage floor. Found the Mag Force lighter. Both were well made , customer service on the Mag Force was good too.

© 2024 Moparts Forums