Moparts

Throttle cable problem

Posted By: MadMatt

Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 03:31 PM

I've found that my carburetor is not fully open when the pedal is floored. It seems to me that the problem is the throttle arm on my Demon carb needs to travel 2.5 inches to reach fully open and my throttle cable has only 2.25 inches of travel before it bottoms out. It is not an issue of pedal travel, its that the cable itself only has 2.25" of travel. Has anyone else had this problem and found a good solution? Does anyone know of a stock type throttle cable that has a bit more travel?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 03:34 PM

I always thought it was where you hooked it up on the arm that made the difference.
kind of a leverage thing.
there was also a mopar adapter I never needed but for holley type carbs as well.

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
I always thought it was where you hooked it up on the arm that made the difference.
kind of a leverage thing.
there was also a mopar adapter I never needed but for holley type carbs as well.

I could attach it lower on the arm, but then I would have to change the bracket in order to have a straight pull and it would increase the throttle effort. I would also have to drill the throttle arm which I would rather avoid.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 03:51 PM

Are you running the mopar throttle linkage adapter?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 04:19 PM

I tried many different things.Ended up with a lokar throttle pedal raised up off the floor.
Posted By: topside

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 04:49 PM

You have 3 choices, Matt -

1. Move the connection at the throttle arm lower
2. Move the cable bracket at the carb forward
3. Get a cable with more travel*

* may require modifying pedal lever or mounting to use the travel

This assumes you have the Mopar throttle arm adapter, though my racecar doesn't use one, but that's a fabbed-up deal.
The amount of increased effort from #1 isn't much at all.

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Are you running the mopar throttle linkage adapter?

No, it didn't seem necessary. I did have to adapt things a bit. Would the Mopar adapter somehow give me more travel on the throttle arm?

Attached picture IMG_4044.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4046.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4047.jpg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 05:03 PM

The adapter moves the cable connection lower, which means it doesn’t have to travel as far to gomWide open.

It’s like a long breaker bar or a long shift lever. You are Doing the same work at the pivot point, but the further out from the pivot point you travel much further to do the movement.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 05:22 PM

I had the same problem. Read the second to last post. I put the part number of the cable I used.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...e-throttle-cable-dilema.html#Post2697197
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 05:30 PM

What Nanket said is true.

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
I had the same problem. Read the second to last post. I put the part number of the cable I used.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...e-throttle-cable-dilema.html#Post2697197

Thanks, I actually saw that thread when I was searching the archives earlier. I may try that option.

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by topside
You have 3 choices, Matt -

1. Move the connection at the throttle arm lower
2. Move the cable bracket at the carb forward
3. Get a cable with more travel*

* may require modifying pedal lever or mounting to use the travel

This assumes you have the Mopar throttle arm adapter, though my racecar doesn't use one, but that's a fabbed-up deal.
The amount of increased effort from #1 isn't much at all.

Did you see the pictures I posted? There is a hole on the throttle arm a little lower and further back. I may try that one if I can make it work.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/25/20 05:54 PM

I use the next hole down on the lever and I also use the AR Engineering brackets on my 493. Here is a pic of the AR bracket on a small block.
Gus beer

Attached picture throttle cable.png
Posted By: topside

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/26/20 12:32 AM

Looking at that cable bracket, I'd want to play around there, and clean it up a bit too.
You'll have to check travel, binding & return.
You can also move the return springs so they work off the bottom hole and attach to that rear bracket.
That cleans up the front bracket stuff; fewer parts to provide same function looks cleaner.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/26/20 12:58 AM

This is what mine ended up looking like.

Attached picture 100_1903.JPG

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/26/20 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by topside
Looking at that cable bracket, I'd want to play around there, and clean it up a bit too.
You'll have to check travel, binding & return.
You can also move the return springs so they work off the bottom hole and attach to that rear bracket.
That cleans up the front bracket stuff; fewer parts to provide same function looks cleaner.

I fixed it!

Attached picture IMG_4048.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/26/20 03:42 PM

good deal ! up
beer
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Throttle cable problem - 04/27/20 12:07 AM

I have 2 carbs with TR linkage,I tried every which way.Either no WOT or no idle.I had to raise the pedal assembly off the floor for more pull.
Lokar pedal & throttle cable.

Attached picture 8.7.12 019.jpg
Attached picture 11.9.15 028.jpg
Attached picture 10.29.15 008.jpg
Attached picture 10.23.15 059.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums