12/13/15 11:04 PM
12/13/15 11:04 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Ok, so I was contacted by the seller who responded to an ad I posted. he has a collection of parts that he says is a 35 Plymouth sedan 2 dr. The body is from one 35 Plymouth and the chassis from another. This are all the pics he currently has but he says he has the other rear fender and the front clip.

he says the rear end is from a mid 60s coronet and is a 8 3/4.

I think the seller is older due to the way he speaks about a computer and trouble he has sending me pics and email.

Hes approx an hour and a half away so I am going to just go down and check out the parts.

I thought I would post these as Im looking for advise on whats there and whats missing as I dont know these plder rigs. I understand that there is limited info in the pics but, hey you guys like pics.

Last edited by RUMBLON; 12/16/15 08:24 PM.
Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1969215
12/13/15 11:51 PM
12/13/15 11:51 PM
Escondido, CA. Ron Podsiadly,...
Mopar Ron Offline
master
Mopar Ron  Offline
master

Escondido, CA. Ron Podsiadly,...
from what I can see from the pics, it looks like a great start.
If he has all 4 fenders, doors, grill shell and grill and a hood your good to go.

finding 35 parts is more difficult than 33-34 stuff
but not terrible

a mustang II frontend and a pr of leaf springs in the rear with the 8 3/4 annd you will have a fun cruiser...

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1969732
12/14/15 09:50 PM
12/14/15 09:50 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Looks like a great project. I would buy it if the price is right.

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1969908
12/15/15 01:47 AM
12/15/15 01:47 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Looks like a great start! I can see a passenger side door in the pictures. I'd want to be sure there is a driver side door. Its only going to fit a 35 & 36 2 door car. A driver door won't be easy to find. The rear fender might be a challenge to locate, but you can build a car without fenders, its difficult to build one without a driver side door.

Does he have a title? If not, do you know what it takes to get a title in the state you live in? Some states are not bad getting titles, others are expensive nightmares with enough hoops to jump through you will feel like a circus clown.

The frame, if its not rusted through, and fits under the body is a starting point. The 60s 8 3/4 (if its newer then 66) is a big plus. The hole in the roof is standard procedure, originally it had a canvas & wood covering that rotted away in the weather, most were long gone or near gone by WWII. There are a few options of solving the roof issue.

You wanted a clean slate, that one looks about as clean as these old rides come. Body parts are the hard stuff to come by, most of that one is still there. Pending the driver door, and the price, I would probably have it here already, if it looks any where near as good in real life as it does in pictures. Gene

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: poorboy] #1971011
12/16/15 08:00 PM
12/16/15 08:00 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
35 plymouth2 dr

I have an update on this rig and wants your thoughts. I drove down to do some christmas shopping so I stopped to look at it and another place who has a 50 studebaker truck and some other rigs. Two different guys.

So the 35's cab isnt bad but most of the stuff that goes with it is either incorrect or rough.

First the right A piller is damaged on the cab and the front floor section is missing. I guess I would have to fab that parts but its a bog portion of the floor. all the doors are removed and apparently who ever did it could not take the time to remove the bolts correctly and all are broken off in the jam.

The rear right fender the owner thought was correct is not even close to being the correct fender. The front clip grille shell is nice and missing the grille.

the front fenders are beat but with a ton of time probably usable. The front hoods are both very wavy and some through rust.

It comes with some headlight buckets no rings. and the running boards are good if they fit, I didnt try as nothing is a ton attached to check

Last the rear under it for rolling is a chevy. He has an 8 3/4 to give me but no center chunk.

here are a bunch more pics for your enjoyment.

so I am wondering how hard it would be to find a grille, rear fender and front floor section which would make it easier than fabbing one. Maybe just buy it for a ratrod if nothing else.

Im also wondering what that rear fender actually goes too. since its a two year only vehicle I wonder how hard it will be to find the parts.

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6223.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6230.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6229.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6227.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6239.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6240.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6250.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6248.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6247.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6246.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6244.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/..._6243.jpg[/img]

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971015
12/16/15 08:03 PM
12/16/15 08:03 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971016
12/16/15 08:04 PM
12/16/15 08:04 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971033
12/16/15 08:26 PM
12/16/15 08:26 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
I also found a 49 or 50 Studebaker truck I WANT. Are we allowed to talk Studebaker on here if its going to be MOPAR POWERED. ???????

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971226
12/17/15 01:07 AM
12/17/15 01:07 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
I Love Studebaker Trucks...!!!!!!!

Rickster

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971253
12/17/15 02:07 AM
12/17/15 02:07 AM
Strasburg CO.
D
dartracer Offline
dartracer  Offline
D

Strasburg CO.
rear fender looks 37-38 Plymouth Dodge

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: rickstershemi] #1971259
12/17/15 02:20 AM
12/17/15 02:20 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Originally Posted By rickstershemi
I Love Studebaker Trucks...!!!!!!!

Rickster

Not sure if Studebakers are ok on here or not. But Im hoping to pick this one up. Guy has no title so he's working on the paperwork. I may just buy it either way. Its suppose to be a 1950.

Rusty cab corners (Im wondering if thats normal on these rigs/ I think I need a studebaker forum if anyone knows of one.) Also some rust in the steps leading into the cab and both fenders along the edges towards the doors. Its actually pretty straight and comes with an extra front clip, (pictured) and an extra bed.

It also has a mustang 2 from an old mustang 2 in it/ tacked in, not a new after market one.

If I get it, its going to get a mopar drivetrain, maybe a 5.7 I want something to drive every day, not a monster motor rig.

any studebaker fans here that can lead me to a forum and or have some insight.

Re: UPDATED-NEW PICS-35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan.Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971266
12/17/15 02:39 AM
12/17/15 02:39 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
That Plymouth looks 100 times better then the 35 Dodge I started with and built 20 years ago! It looks 100 times better then my 48 Plymouth looked when I started with it, and I'm driving it these days! How much is he asking, and does he have a title?

The grill was formed sheetmetal. Finding one intact, or close to being intact is tough. I believe they may be available aftermarket.

If your installing any motor other then the flathead 6 and its original trans, the front floor section will need to be fabricated. The original floor section that bolted into place won't fit around anything other then the original drive train.

It looks like someone drilled out the frozen door hinge bolts. The plate behind the door jam was a 1/4" plate with 4 tapped holes in it. The screws went through the holes in the hinges, through the holes in the door jam, and tightened into the plate. The screws were either straight blade or Phillips screw heads that had a tapered head (I've never seen original screws that were not stripped out) that set in the door hinge part.

The door post appears to be dented, and the fenders look to be in pretty decent condition other then the dents, dent removal is part of body work, something 90% of these old cars need to have done. I have no idea what the deal is with the rear fender, I would have held it up against the body to see how close it matched up. The running boards are interesting, and also something I've never personally seen in original condition! I just don't look at restored cars at car shows, and all of them on hot rods have been modified.

Last I knew, 8 3/4 center sections were still available. If you don't want to buy one, put a different rear end under it.

I'm getting the impression you need to buy a nearly complete project with most of the stuff done, buy a complete ready to drive car, or buy another muscle car. Not trying to be an azz, but that Plymouth looks pretty good for being 80 years old. Building old cars is a lot of work, the older they are, the more work involved. Anyone telling you differently is feeding you a line of BS.
The old Stude truck will probably look about the same.

This is a picture of my 35 Dodge 2 door sedan right after I got it home. That is me with my son, he is 35 now. The second picture is the same car, 5 years later. It takes a lot of work to get them to look like this, and up close, it didn't look that good. How does that Plymouth look now? Gene

35 brginning.jpeg35 end.jpeg
Re: UPDATED-NEW PICS-35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan.Pics for your advise [Re: poorboy] #1971289
12/17/15 03:30 AM
12/17/15 03:30 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Originally Posted By poorboy
That Plymouth looks 100 times better then the 35 Dodge I started with and built 20 years ago! It looks 100 times better then my 48 Plymouth looked when I started with it, and I'm driving it these days! How much is he asking, and does he have a title?

The grill was formed sheetmetal. Finding one intact, or close to being intact is tough. I believe they may be available aftermarket.

If your installing any motor other then the flathead 6 and its original trans, the front floor section will need to be fabricated. The original floor section that bolted into place won't fit around anything other then the original drive train.

It looks like someone drilled out the frozen door hinge bolts. The plate behind the door jam was a 1/4" plate with 4 tapped holes in it. The screws went through the holes in the hinges, through the holes in the door jam, and tightened into the plate. The screws were either straight blade or Phillips screw heads that had a tapered head (I've never seen original screws that were not stripped out) that set in the door hinge part.

The door post appears to be dented, and the fenders look to be in pretty decent condition other then the dents, dent removal is part of body work, something 90% of these old cars need to have done. I have no idea what the deal is with the rear fender, I would have held it up against the body to see how close it matched up. The running boards are interesting, and also something I've never personally seen in original condition! I just don't look at restored cars at car shows, and all of them on hot rods have been modified.

Last I knew, 8 3/4 center sections were still available. If you don't want to buy one, put a different rear end under it.

I'm getting the impression you need to buy a nearly complete project with most of the stuff done, buy a complete ready to drive car, or buy another muscle car. Not trying to be an azz, but that Plymouth looks pretty good for being 80 years old. Building old cars is a lot of work, the older they are, the more work involved. Anyone telling you differently is feeding you a line of BS.
The old Stude truck will probably look about the same.

This is a picture of my 35 Dodge 2 door sedan right after I got it home. That is me with my son, he is 35 now. The second picture is the same car, 5 years later. It takes a lot of work to get them to look like this, and up close, it didn't look that good. How does that Plymouth look now? Gene

I dont have any problems doing a ton of work and like it, Im just not versed on older mopes and am not sure which route to go, a finished car or just kind of a rat rod. And not knowing the older cars I dont know how hard it is to find the parts. As far as the rear and stuff I was just outlining what came with it. I was originally under the impression that there was an 8 3/4 under it as thats what I originally posted so I was changing what it has. The project is cheap and does come with a title.

I think for the $ its a deal so Im going to grab it. But since I dont know the older cars Im not afraid to admit it and ask questions.

RUMBLON

Re: UPDATED-NEW PICS-35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan.Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971297
12/17/15 04:04 AM
12/17/15 04:04 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Gotta on the questions.

The old Stude truck looks pretty good too!

Can't speak for the Stude trucks, but in terms of 50s Dodges, the cab corners, especially the floors in the cab corners, were favorite places for mice to nest, so often there were holes. The step area may be a concern. The late 50s Dodge step area on the cabs were structural pieces that supported the cab floors. once the step area rusted out, the cab floors were pretty weak and would sag, and let the door jams move under the weight of the opening doors, but the step area would have had to be pretty shot for that to happen.
The Dodges of that era had the sheetmetal of the fenders folded over at the back fender edge to double up the edge to give it extra strength (think 60s performance car door bottoms except at the back of the fender instead)). Only problem was they didn't bother painting or rust proofing the metal before they folded it over, so the lip rusted out. I suspect the Stude is the same way. I'd be really surprised if there were any replacement body parts available for that cab. The extra front sheet metal and the extra box is a plus.

On the positive side, the 50 Stude should be a bigger cab then the 39-47 Dodge truck cab, and defiantly wider then the 35 Plymouth. Another advantage is its a truck. I think trucks lend themselves to modifications easier then most cars.

I'd make sure the other guy gets the title straightened out, that can be a mess. Gene

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: dartracer] #1971334
12/17/15 09:18 AM
12/17/15 09:18 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By dartracer
rear fender looks 37-38 Plymouth Dodge

i got to agree with this. they also fit chrysler and desoto, depending on the model. one thing i will say about rats. you can hone your skills from fabbing to welding and everything in between, and come out way ahead cost wize because you are out only your time. the only downside to this is [in my mind any way] to make SURE it is structurally sound. my favorite approach, and the one i'm taking on my humpback project, is a very well built, painted and detailed, chassis and suspension, [which i almost entirely built from piles of tube and plate] a detailed and painted drive train, a finished interior [which will use slightly worn upholstery plus, where needed, "distressed" material to blend in with the seats] new glass, and "somewhat rough" body work where replacement panels need fabbed. what minimal chrome there will be will just be polished up as best can be on the head and tail light assemblies, and the body scuffed up only as much as needed for some satin clear. bullet holes, dents and welds will be left as is, but i want the door gaps almost perfect, and the doors must close with the minimalist effort. maybe not a "real" rat, but my style of one. and that sedan is 900% better than my humpback was to start, so if it has paperwork and is cheap, go for it and not worry about fenders. but that studie is so sweet........
beer

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: moparx] #1971764
12/17/15 11:33 PM
12/17/15 11:33 PM
Lithonia, Ga
36PLYM Offline
enthusiast
36PLYM  Offline
enthusiast

Lithonia, Ga
For what its worth, that 2 door Plymouth looks more like a 36. The fenders, hood, dash and windshield are for sure 36. The grille shell is 35.

36 Plymouth Coupe
318 w/360 heads
518 trans
8 3/4 rear
Ga. Tech BCE'78
Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: 36PLYM] #1971840
12/18/15 12:46 AM
12/18/15 12:46 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Originally Posted By 36PLYM
For what its worth, that 2 door Plymouth looks more like a 36. The fenders, hood, dash and windshield are for sure 36. The grille shell is 35.

thanks, the title is for a 35. hummmmmm

RUMBLON

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1971968
12/18/15 03:34 AM
12/18/15 03:34 AM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
I want the Studebaker truck! I've been looking for one but haven't found one good enough to work with yet. Most of the ones I have looked at around here have to much rust.

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: RUMBLON] #1972556
12/19/15 08:35 AM
12/19/15 08:35 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By RUMBLON
Originally Posted By 36PLYM

thanks, the title is for a 35. hummmmmm

RUMBLON

as for the title year discrepancy. i have found that some states back in those days titled the vehicle for the year they were sold in rather than the model year of the vehicle. if, for example, that sedan was sold in 1937 [for what ever reason, such as a leftover, demo, or salesman's ride], it would have a title as a 37 instead of a 36. possibly that is the reason this example shows a 35 year instead of a 36. or maybe there were some shenanigans pulled over the years between buyers and sellers. who knows what has happened when the car gets this old ? but then again, there is that 37-38 rear fender in the mix. the 35 grill shell, to my knowledge,may bolt up to the fenders, but won't be an exact match. you can bolt on a 35 nose to a 36, but you need everything.[grill shell,fenders,hood, etc] and visa-versa, 36 nose to a 35. same with 37 & 38 noses. just some things i have run into over the years.
beer

Re: Potential buy 35 Plymouth 2 dr sedan. Pics for your advise [Re: moparx] #1973909
12/21/15 05:03 PM
12/21/15 05:03 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Throw into the confusion the fact that Dodge cars back then didn't change models between model years, they made changes whenever. So a late '35 may very well be the same as an early '36.

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2