Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Tig & arc is 3 position welding,mig is 1 position welding flat.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: mig welded [Re: MRMOPAR622] #998334
05/31/11 09:43 AM
05/31/11 09:43 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

You can very well buy a mig-gun for $200.00 even @ Wal-Mart,but it will not be good enough to weld a roll cage. Not if you want it to hold up if ever in a crash. You can Mig weld a mild steel cage with a good Mig and it will hold if welded right. You run a bead down hill (welders know)with a mig,it won't hold!!!! Like someone said earlier you can buy a $200.00 arc (220 amp)and weld any M.S. cage and it will hold better than any mig weld.Take you forever to weld it,but will give you a stronger weld. I was a supervisor in the weld-bay @ Varco-Pruden for 14 yrs. been a welder for 25+ yrs.

BEWARE of who you trust to do any welding on your Race-Car. A poor weld is about like sticking bubble-gum on your cage or what ever you have welded,just because it is stuck on it does not meen it will hold.

Anybody that can't weld the side or the bottom of a tube needs to go back to a GOOD welding school. NASCAR cages are mild steel and MIG welded on surface plates and jigged - they certainly don't turn them over to weld the sides and bottoms. You can bet if those welds weren't strong enough they wouldn't take the abuse that they do.

I used to make stock racks (2" sq tube, .120 wall) for a corrugated company for about 5 years. Forklifts typically destroyed the racks, but we never had a tube tear the weld apart - it would always tear out the whole tube itself - the weld was stronger than the .120 wall mild steel. Again, they were welded horizontally, vertically, and across the bottom. I don't buy that a MIG weld is for top surfaces only.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: mig welded [Re: Evil Spirit] #998335
05/31/11 10:51 AM
05/31/11 10:51 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI

I used to make stock racks (2" sq tube, .120 wall) for a corrugated company for about 5 years. Forklifts typically destroyed the racks, but we never had a tube tear the weld apart - it would always tear out the whole tube itself - the weld was stronger than the .120 wall mild steel. Again, they were welded horizontally, vertically, and across the bottom. I don't buy that a MIG weld is for top surfaces only.

Thats called the "heat affected zone" thats the reason
that moly tubing is tigged to keep the heat down...
it will always tear in the "HAZ" unless its a junk
weld and it breaks the weld

Page 2 of 2 1 2