05/01/11 11:28 AM
05/01/11 11:28 AM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
If a bunch of guys did the measurement I did for you, and they all were within +/-0.010" then you might get some confidence you are within that much. Just don't forget the centering hub on the crank flange sticks out beyond that measurement (for your trans input shaft).

But when nobody posts, you have nothing to go by.
I understand you are not going to have the crank flange face machined to that number, but rather to make sure the pilot hole area is machined to fit your trans setup.

Re: help with Hemi crank measurement.. [Re: 440Jim] #976751
05/01/11 12:02 PM
05/01/11 12:02 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

If a bunch of guys did the measurement I did for you, and they all were within +/-0.010" then you might get some confidence you are within that much.

I understand you are not going to have the crank flange face machined to that number, but rather to make sure the pilot hole area is machined to fit your trans setup.

like I said
I would make the trans fit the crank but
how about finding out what size pilot bushing the T56 used in it's former life and the depth of that hole. then you could just account for the difference in length compared to an 833 input extending from the bell housing

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: help with Hemi crank measurement.. [Re: HEMIFRED] #976752
05/01/11 05:54 PM
05/01/11 05:54 PM
QLD Australia
Keith Black® Offline OP
pro stock
Keith Black®  Offline OP
pro stock

QLD Australia
Quote:

Quote:

If a bunch of guys did the measurement I did for you, and they all were within +/-0.010" then you might get some confidence you are within that much.

... and the depth of that hole. then you could just account for the difference in length compared to an 833 input extending from the bell housing

thanks again guys. the depth of that hole is > 0.850 in.
(that's how far the input shaft extends forward of the bellhousing face and into the crank).
if the crank flange is .600 from the bell-surface the drilled hole for the pilot will be ~1.45in deep from the crank flange surface.

I agree, if anyone could take the same measurement from a Hemi 833 input shaft to compare that would be appreciated.

I am grateful for your help I was looking to get as many measurements as possible (not to necessarily rely on any of them) to arrive at a final A/B comparison and decide what needs to be done then.I want to avoid either drilling the crank beyond std or modifying the input shaft but without measurements it's difficult. And there's a lack of reference parts here in Australia.Measure twice (or ten x !) cut once.

--------------------------------
Darren Beale
Keith Black Racing Engines®
Page 2 of 2 1 2