Temecula, Ca.
Z
zzyzxpat Offline
enthusiast
zzyzxpat  Offline
enthusiast
Z

Temecula, Ca.
Better off pricewise to go with a Diamond distributor. There are a few on this site. I went with PerformanceOnly for pistons for my 361, the real redheaded stepchild!, and Dan did a great job for me. The knowledge these distributors have is amazing. CompetitionWedge is another one.
Pat

" The last official act of any goverment, is to loot the treasury" George Washington
Re: 383 Piston/Rod Combos - Am I Missing Something??? [Re: zzyzxpat] #976693
04/27/11 05:54 AM
04/27/11 05:54 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

First off... this is coming from THE poorest member on this whole board.

I dont know why people fret over this stuff. Someone has already mentioned above that Diamond(?) will move the pin height (custom) for a small fee, and back when i was pushing parts in the hot rod shop Ross did the same thing for less than $100. There is no crisis here. Sure you dont have the huge lot ov choices you'd have with a 440, but its not like you're building a Buick straight-8 or something else really weird.

My approach to this would be to take that stock stroke 383 crank down to 2.2 bearings and pick the appropriate BBC rod length for the rod ratio i want (something closer to the 440 length, 6.7"?), then just order a custom pin-height 383 piston. The slight cost increase ov the extra crank turning and odd piston would be largely offset by the availability ov really cheap Chevy rods. Hell, new Chevy rods are a swap meet item around here. Not to mention the bobweight bonus. Hell, i'd probably do that if there WAS a pile o 383 piston options.

Re: 383 Piston/Rod Combos - Am I Missing Something??? [Re: rss] #976694
04/27/11 11:32 AM
04/27/11 11:32 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

since the 383 is the redheaded stepchild of the big block wedge family those that do build them want a set of pistons for less than a cup of coffee .

Not looking for a cheap piston, but it doesn't seem you should have to go custom just to get a flat top with a decent compression height and is compatible with the current selection (1) of aftermarket rods. Diamonds normally run about $650 a set, so what does a custom set go for $750 or more? Seems hard to justify to warm up a 383 for your street cruiser. Guess that's why most are using KB400s with a dome.

Since they mostly make high-end stuff for performance applications, not sure that I understand why Diamond makes makes theirs with a 1.916 CH.

Then, on the other side of the equation, we have one option for forged rods, Eagle, and they can't be bothered to build a rod that can be used with a pressed wrist pin.

I had long ago realized that the piston selection for 383s was bad, but didn't figure out until recently that the rod selection is even worse.

Same here.

I don't even want to sit down to figure out how much I have in my STOCK 383 build the block has gone thru 3 shops , the first 1 screwed up a bunch of things , the second one corrected all but 1 $$$ , the third fixed the one and assembled the shortblock , diamond custom which really turned out to be not so custom since the block has had .030 cut off it because of the first 2 shops , the only real change the the shelf diamond at this point is smaller valve reliefs 3cc instead of 5 , i did it as a compromise because once I get the pure stock bug out of my head I'm going to put on a ported set of heads and a bigger cam.

If you want to get a set of eagles you might want to sooner than later because I have a feeling they are going to go the way of the dodo, just like the rod 440source has discontinued long ago.

Might be better to use a 440 rod , and have a lighter custom made .

Re: 383 Piston/Rod Combos - Am I Missing Something??? [Re: JohnRR] #976695
04/27/11 10:38 PM
04/27/11 10:38 PM
Seattle, WA
R
rss Offline OP
super stock
rss  Offline OP
super stock
R

Seattle, WA
Quote:

If you want to get a set of eagles you might want to sooner than later because I have a feeling they are going to go the way of the dodo, just like the rod 440source has discontinued long ago.

I'd agree with your feeling. Last time I checked the Eagle website, they don't even have the 6.358" rod listed.

I've got a set that I picked up last year. Just wasn't smart enough to realize that they wouldn't work with the SP 2315s. The 2315s are going back to Mancini for a credit on a set of semi-custom Diamonds.

Block is supposed to be decked tomorrow, so I can determine whatever pin height I need based on how much they need to cut to square it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2