03/13/11 04:55 PM
03/13/11 04:55 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Maybe someone who works at a dealer might know?

friend of mine just bought a 98 Dakota with a viper spec T-56 swap done to it. this gearbox has the electronic speed sensor inside of it, or at least, it would appear that way by the electrical connectors coming out the side of the case.

I'm about to swap him rear axles as well, but mine does not have the tone ring inside of it for the factory speed sensor--I left it out because I didn't feel like fighting with it to get it off the stock ring gear, and transfer it to my near ring gear...especially when I was running a carb'd motor without any computers, and didn't need the speed sensor.

well, his truck is still a computer controlled EFI truck.

is there a way to program the computer to be happy with the signal from the T-56 speed sensor and use that, instead of having to tear open the diff on my axle just to add a tone ring to the ring gear for the speed sensor?

I know that the parameters are programable somewhat, because you can change the calibration based on tire sizes, but how wide of a range can you go with?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: reprogram stock PCM for different speed sensor? [Re: 70Cuda383] #949958
03/13/11 06:25 PM
03/13/11 06:25 PM
A tad North of Indy
B
Blown71X Offline
super gas
Blown71X  Offline
super gas
B

A tad North of Indy
If it truely IS a viper T-56 then yes it does have a speed sensor....Left side rear, 3 prong pigtail...this is a Hall Effect sensor

This isn`t going to be plug and play and I really don`t think you can even make it work for several reasons.
First: the Dak gets it`s speed sig obviously from the rear sensor, However the ABS module does the conversion for the signal and then sends it to the PCM.
Second: the ABS is looking for an inductive sensor and it`s corrosponding resistance and sinewave output for diagnostics, it will not be happy with a square wave from the T-56 sensor (there are ways around this)
Third: Without actually seeing the tone wheels and doing some simple calcs on the pulses per rev, it is just a guess but if it is way different the ABS will probably not be able to go far enough with the difference (it has a very limited range)

Put the tone ring back on the rear...And by the way, it dosen`t go on the Ring gear, it is pressed on the carrier and is VERY easy to do.

Just my

Rick

Re: reprogram stock PCM for different speed sensor? [Re: Blown71X] #949959
03/13/11 06:37 PM
03/13/11 06:37 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

If it truely IS a viper T-56 then yes it does have a speed sensor....Left side rear, 3 prong pigtail...this is a Hall Effect sensor

This isn`t going to be plug and play and I really don`t think you can even make it work for several reasons.
First: the Dak gets it`s speed sig obviously from the rear sensor, However the ABS module does the conversion for the signal and then sends it to the PCM.
Second: the ABS is looking for an inductive sensor and it`s corrosponding resistance and sinewave output for diagnostics, it will not be happy with a square wave from the T-56 sensor (there are ways around this)
Third: Without actually seeing the tone wheels and doing some simple calcs on the pulses per rev, it is just a guess but if it is way different the ABS will probably not be able to go far enough with the difference (it has a very limited range)

Put the tone ring back on the rear...And by the way, it dosen`t go on the Ring gear, it is pressed on the carrier and is VERY easy to do.

Just my

Rick

hmm...I knew the ABS used the same sensor, but was unaware that the ABS computer is actually what "reads" the speed signal to send to the PCM.

pretty sure his gearbox is a true viper unit. it has what I thought was a neutral safety switch (3-prong pig tail...maybe this is the speed sensor?) there's 2 plugs for the reverse lights, one at each shift location, and there's a viper logo stamped into the side of the casing. there was another plug on the right side of the case down low that I thought might be the speed sensor.

(my TKO has a speed sensor, NSS, and reverse indicator switch--NSS comes out of the shift location, Reverse comes out the side of the gearbox--both on the left, and the speed sensor was down low on the right side.)

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: reprogram stock PCM for different speed sensor? [Re: 70Cuda383] #949960
03/13/11 07:05 PM
03/13/11 07:05 PM
A tad North of Indy
B
Blown71X Offline
super gas
Blown71X  Offline
super gas
B

A tad North of Indy
Not that it matters much and i`m going from a short memory because it has been 2 or 3 years since i`ve touched a T-56 but the backup switch is on the right side, The 2 solenoids on the left side at the top are the reverse lockout (by the shifter mount) and the other is the 2-3 lockout (forward of case split)

Rick

Re: reprogram stock PCM for different speed sensor? [Re: Blown71X] #949961
03/13/11 07:27 PM
03/13/11 07:27 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Not that it matters much and i`m going from a short memory because it has been 2 or 3 years since i`ve touched a T-56 but the backup switch is on the right side, The 2 solenoids on the left side at the top are the reverse lockout (by the shifter mount) and the other is the 2-3 lockout (forward of case split)

Rick

That is just where they are on my T56 (F body) at least...

Re: reprogram stock PCM for different speed sensor? [Re: 70Cuda383] #949962
03/14/11 03:28 AM
03/14/11 03:28 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Just my

Rick

hmm...I knew the ABS used the same sensor, but was unaware that the ABS computer is actually what "reads" the speed signal to send to the PCM.

pretty sure his gearbox is a true viper unit. it has what I thought was a neutral safety switch (3-prong pig tail...maybe this is the speed sensor?) there's 2 plugs for the reverse lights, one at each shift location, and there's a viper logo stamped into the side of the casing. there was another plug on the right side of the case down low that I thought might be the speed sensor.

(my TKO has a speed sensor, NSS, and reverse indicator switch--NSS comes out of the shift location, Reverse comes out the side of the gearbox--both on the left, and the speed sensor was down low on the right side.)

Actually the ABS sensor is not the same as the 3 wire hall effect sensor on the trans. As Rick stated the ABS is a 2 wire AC inductive sensor which is different then the 3 wire hall effect sensor on the trans and would not work with the ABS. Ron