02/10/11 03:38 AM
02/10/11 03:38 AM
Norwalk, Ohio
sycboi Offline OP
super stock
sycboi  Offline OP
super stock

Norwalk, Ohio

I just picked up a '97 inline four cylinder automatic Jeep Wrangler for my son to drive to high school. I drove it home 190 miles and then around town another 110 miles with zero indication of any transmission issues whatsoever. It took a bit to wind-up and shift from first to second but never seemed abnormal considering it has 31x10.5x15 tires on it. At any rate, I parked it while running for about ten minutes the other night and when I got in it I shifted into reverse and it hesitated before "catching" and started pulling itself backwards, when I got onto the road it did the same thing going into drive. Within about two blocks it quit pulling all together. Before all this it never seemed to slip, hesitate, or do anything to warn me of it's demise. I got out and looked underneath and it is dripping tranny fluid, but not pouring. Just a few cap fulls here and there. I checked the fluid level and it's still basically in operating range, BUT it's milky. I'm sure it's coolant or water in the fluid. It looks like a rebuild is in order. All sources indicate it is basically a 904 with a lock-up converter. All that being said I have two questions...

1) What the heck happened? Coolant/water wiped my friction materials out?

2)Would a full transmission rebuild kit including bands, a rebuilt converter, a transgo shift kit, and an external cooler be a good "complete" overhaul to perform? Anything I am missing in this list?

Thank you for any insight...

-Michael

SuperBeast

An enforcer for the Mopar Mafia!
Re: '97 Wrangler tranny rebuild? [Re: sycboi] #925285
02/11/11 01:36 AM
02/11/11 01:36 AM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
It sounds like somebody swamped it. Are you sure your kid wasn't out hot dogging in it?

Good luck getting a converter, they can be tough to find.

For future reference, these will make a little whirring noise in the 2-3 shift at WOT. If you test drive one and you hear it, walk away. A rebuild is in your future.

Re: '97 Wrangler tranny rebuild? [Re: sycboi] #925286
02/11/11 10:48 AM
02/11/11 10:48 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Quote:

I just picked up a '97 inline four cylinder automatic Jeep Wrangler for my son to drive to high school. I drove it home 190 miles and then around town another 110 miles with zero indication of any transmission issues whatsoever. It took a bit to wind-up and shift from first to second but never seemed abnormal considering it has 31x10.5x15 tires on it. At any rate, I parked it while running for about ten minutes the other night and when I got in it I shifted into reverse and it hesitated before "catching" and started pulling itself backwards, when I got onto the road it did the same thing going into drive. Within about two blocks it quit pulling all together. Before all this it never seemed to slip, hesitate, or do anything to warn me of it's demise. I got out and looked underneath and it is dripping tranny fluid, but not pouring. Just a few cap fulls here and there. I checked the fluid level and it's still basically in operating range, BUT it's milky. I'm sure it's coolant or water in the fluid. It looks like a rebuild is in order. All sources indicate it is basically a 904 with a lock-up converter. All that being said I have two questions...

1) What the heck happened? Coolant/water wiped my friction materials out?

2)Would a full transmission rebuild kit including bands, a rebuilt converter, a transgo shift kit, and an external cooler be a good "complete" overhaul to perform? Anything I am missing in this list?

Thank you for any insight...

-Michael

well if you say you also have coolant in the trans fluid,
you also have a broken radiator
so replacement of that , and transmission replace/rebuild
is what youre looking at

Re: '97 Wrangler tranny rebuild? [Re: Montclaire] #925287
02/11/11 10:57 AM
02/11/11 10:57 AM
Norwalk, Ohio
sycboi Offline OP
super stock
sycboi  Offline OP
super stock

Norwalk, Ohio

Noone but me got a chance to drive it, and I drove it very tame. I think someone swammped it as well. I notice the radiator is a newer after market part. Maybe rebuild the transmission and use a quality external cooler...

-Michael

SuperBeast

An enforcer for the Mopar Mafia!