Pacifica, CA
Devilbrad Offline
top fuel
Devilbrad  Offline
top fuel

Pacifica, CA
Quote:

Another keeper, good post ,Thanks

I agree. Someone needs to start a dedicated website just for small block Mopar non production blocks and heads. Maybe I should start gathering info.

Re: Small block race block [Re: Plumb Wired] #922016
02/09/11 06:51 AM
02/09/11 06:51 AM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

I see i'm beating a dead horse here. I forgot Mopar people are cheap. I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall with the SB stuff. Spent a lot of money and we are still just a participant, I want to be the car to beat. Time to look more seriously at the Predator or 99 Hemi stuff. Flame on!

Mike Gray

Its not that mopar people are cheap, its just that people with money wont spend it on oddball motors. Maybe Ritter thinks most mopar people are fat, and would be easier if they cut back on the bacon and butter than to cast an aluminum block.

Re: Small block race block [Re: bdaz smblk] #922017
02/09/11 10:58 AM
02/09/11 10:58 AM
Blue Ridge, VA
Plumb Wired Offline
master
Plumb Wired  Offline
master

Blue Ridge, VA
Thanks Kenny, finally someone who sees the light. LOL

Quote:

I hope they make a aluminum xr2 block.If they do I will be one of the first ones to buy one.Kenny

RIP Monte Smith

aka: OutlawFish
'98 Bickel Dodge Dakota PST
Re: Small block race block [Re: Hot 340] #922018
02/09/11 11:06 AM
02/09/11 11:06 AM
Blue Ridge, VA
Plumb Wired Offline
master
Plumb Wired  Offline
master

Blue Ridge, VA
Quote:

Quote:

I see i'm beating a dead horse here. I forgot Mopar people are cheap. I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall with the SB stuff. Spent a lot of money and we are still just a participant, I want to be the car to beat. Time to look more seriously at the Predator or 99 Hemi stuff. Flame on!

Mike Gray

Its not that mopar people are cheap, its just that people with money wont spend it on oddball motors. Maybe Ritter thinks most mopar people are fat, and would be easier if they cut back on the bacon and butter than to cast an aluminum block.

And an R3/W8 motor isn't "oddball"?

Last edited by OutlawFish; 02/09/11 04:37 PM.

RIP Monte Smith

aka: OutlawFish
'98 Bickel Dodge Dakota PST
Re: Small block race block [Re: Plumb Wired] #922019
02/09/11 01:39 PM
02/09/11 01:39 PM
San Angelo, Texas
W8n2DustU Offline
super stock
W8n2DustU  Offline
super stock

San Angelo, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Gray

And an R3/W8 motor isn't "oddball".

The problem seems to be most Mopar guys who race want to do it on a low budget. Which is ok if going fast is not a real concern. Ford and chevy dominate because there is an endless supply of aftermarket parts. The ford and chevy guys are not running stock parts. If more mopar people were willing to buy aftermarket parts like blocks,heads, etc. There would be more available and at a cheaper price. If mopar or Kent built 500 blocks each per year and W8, W9, P5, and a selest few others were easily attainable then the market would be flooded with them. Kent would not need to make another block for years. 90% of them would be collecting dust in some Mopar guys shop. W8 heads are about as good as any head out there by any manufacturer. If canted valves are legal in your class then the P5 should be as good as any other brands. P7's are good as well but the block is the weak link. The market is based on supply and demand. If the public does not demand it then the manufacturers wont supply it. I agree with Mike. The W8/R/3 is not odd. It needs some updating perhaps. But until Mopar guys realize a Q4 headed smallblock will never compete with the vast array of aftermarket ford and chevies out there. You guys need

2010 Toxic Orange Challenger built by B and B Racecars! All aluminum R4/P5 engine, Proformance TH400 (3 speed) tranny, full Reid case, nodular 9" rearend, full Dragpak suspension, Protorque custom converter, BS3, PTE 85mm turbo, fire core wires, carbon doors, carbon front clip, and a whole lot more!
Re: Small block race block [Re: W8n2DustU] #922020
02/09/11 01:48 PM
02/09/11 01:48 PM
sycamore,ohio
B
BobsProFab Offline
master
BobsProFab  Offline
master
B

sycamore,ohio
Quote:

P7's are good as well but the block is the weak link.

how is the R5 block a weak link

Re: Small block race block [Re: BobsProFab] #922021
02/09/11 01:57 PM
02/09/11 01:57 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

P7's are good as well but the block is the weak link.

how is the R5 block a weak link

Many P7's laying around, where are the blocks?

Re: Small block race block [Re: theclutcher] #922022
02/09/11 02:47 PM
02/09/11 02:47 PM
San Angelo, Texas
W8n2DustU Offline
super stock
W8n2DustU  Offline
super stock

San Angelo, Texas
Well I always think of power adder classes. Most run tons of NOS or blower, turbos etc. A non siamesed block will not handle the power necessary to be competitive. If the block design was the best then the Prostck hemi block would probably utilize the design. It was designed for cylinder wall cooling for nascar. Nascar engined have to last for 500 miles at high rpm. They are filled with the lightest parts possible. You see fewer prostock motors fail in a weekend than you do in a nascar race. Just put a large turbo on a R5 block and crank up the boost.You will see what I mean.

2010 Toxic Orange Challenger built by B and B Racecars! All aluminum R4/P5 engine, Proformance TH400 (3 speed) tranny, full Reid case, nodular 9" rearend, full Dragpak suspension, Protorque custom converter, BS3, PTE 85mm turbo, fire core wires, carbon doors, carbon front clip, and a whole lot more!
Re: Small block race block [Re: W8n2DustU] #922023
02/09/11 02:53 PM
02/09/11 02:53 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
I can see that, just never played with power adders.

Last edited by theclutcher; 02/09/11 02:54 PM.
Re: Small block race block [Re: W8n2DustU] #922024
02/09/11 08:12 PM
02/09/11 08:12 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

The problem seems to be most Mopar guys who race want to do it on a low budget. Which is ok if going fast is not a real concern. Ford and chevy dominate because there is an endless supply of aftermarket parts. The ford and chevy guys are not running stock parts. If more mopar people were willing to buy aftermarket parts like blocks,heads, etc. There would be more available and at a cheaper price. If mopar or Kent built 500 blocks each per year and W8, W9, P5, and a selest few others were easily attainable then the market would be flooded with them. Kent would not need to make another block for years. 90% of them would be collecting dust in some Mopar guys shop. W8 heads are about as good as any head out there by any manufacturer. If canted valves are legal in your class then the P5 should be as good as any other brands. P7's are good as well but the block is the weak link. The market is based on supply and demand. If the public does not demand it then the manufacturers wont supply it. I agree with Mike. The W8/R/3 is not odd. It needs some updating perhaps. But until Mopar guys realize a Q4 headed smallblock will never compete with the vast array of aftermarket ford and chevies out there. You guys need

I disagree. Everyone likes to say mopar guys are just cheap. Well, the reason there is no aftermarket is because there is NO demand, that we can agree on. The issue is why is there no demand? Is it really just as simple as "mopar guys are cheap"? Or is because Chrysler corparation hasnt made one decent, light, affordable, well suspended, rear wheel drive that houses these particular engines since the Nixon administration? People with cash wanting to get into this hobby dont wanna mess with old rustpiles. Especially when you can go to the craigslist and pick up a clean fox body for well under 10k. And less body choices means less demand for the engines. Open up a car trader and count the camaros and stangs made thru the 90's. People are still messing with those because they can still be had without rusted out floors and shag carpet on the dash. Yes, w8's, all mopar smallblocks in all configuration are oddballs compared to the other guys. They probably outnumber us 200 to one, and that isnt gonna change because mopar cars are getting rare. If dodge did what Ford and Gm did in the last two decades, there would be scads of mopars, aluminum blocks, and 400+ heads out the wazoo like the others have AND NEW PEOPLE getting into mopars. Guess its just more fun to say mopars guys are cheap, all 3 of us left.

Re: Small block race block [Re: Hot 340] #922025
02/09/11 09:43 PM
02/09/11 09:43 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
well this is what i feel,there are maybe 50 super bad A#^ sb mopars in the country,when i say bad i mean 8's,so u guys are pioneers..chevy and ford have spent millions on research..mopar hasn't spent doo doo in yrs...my respect and i think 99pct of chevy guys respect u guys alot..cause they know it aint easy with a mopar sb btw 50 might be a little high

Re: Small block race block [Re: Hot 340] #922026
02/09/11 09:46 PM
02/09/11 09:46 PM
Anoka County, MN
L
Leigh Offline
master
Leigh  Offline
master
L

Anoka County, MN
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree. Everyone likes to say mopar guys are just cheap. Well, the reason there is no aftermarket is because there is NO demand, that we can agree on. The issue is why is there no demand? Is it really just as simple as "mopar guys are cheap"? Or is because Chrysler corparation hasnt made one decent, light, affordable, well suspended, rear wheel drive that houses these particular engines since the Nixon administration? People with cash wanting to get into this hobby dont wanna mess with old rustpiles. Especially when you can go to the craigslist and pick up a clean fox body for well under 10k. And less body choices means less demand for the engines. Open up a car trader and count the camaros and stangs made thru the 90's. People are still messing with those because they can still be had without rusted out floors and shag carpet on the dash. Yes, w8's, all mopar smallblocks in all configuration are oddballs compared to the other guys. They probably outnumber us 200 to one, and that isnt gonna change because mopar cars are getting rare. If dodge did what Ford and Gm did in the last two decades, there would be scads of mopars, aluminum blocks, and 400+ heads out the wazoo like the others have AND NEW PEOPLE getting into mopars. Guess its just more fun to say mopars guys are cheap, all 3 of us left.

Pretty much true. It's a catch 22. Manufacturers won't make something without a demand, and buyers won't buy something unless it's real. Guess what, it's happening again with Gen3 and LSX. You can bolt together a killer LSX combo out of a Summit website, but with the Gen3, you have to know the inside handshake, be willing to fabricate and then risk being runner-up. I just don't get it. Tough for this 35 year Mopar counterman and racer to state.

Re: Small block race block [Re: fishy340] #922027
02/09/11 10:50 PM
02/09/11 10:50 PM
San Angelo, Texas
W8n2DustU Offline
super stock
W8n2DustU  Offline
super stock

San Angelo, Texas
Quote:

well this is what i feel,there are maybe 50 super bad A#^ sb mopars in the country,when i say bad i mean 8's,so u guys are pioneers..chevy and ford have spent millions on research..mopar hasn't spent doo doo in yrs...my respect and i think 99pct of chevy guys respect u guys alot..cause they know it aint easy with a mopar sb btw 50 might be a little high

50 is probably a high # I would think. I do get alot of respect for sure from the Ford and Chevy guys. But I am a hardcore Mopar guy. I am planning on building a new 10.5 Challenger this year. Will it have a Gen II hemi or a radical smallblock? That has yet to be decided. Will the Gen III hemi and the new challenger bring Mopars racing back to its glory days? Who knows. All I am saying is if more of the mopar community was willing to spend a little extra here and there I believe more parts would be available to us. I know everyone has a limited budget for racing. I set out an entire year to switch from NOS to a procharger. Was I the fastest car? No! But I made every race, even after hitting the wall, dropping a valve, and shearing the geardrive bolts off the balancer. It took dedication and alot of elbow grease. I won the championship by one point. Since I was not the fastest car I did alot of research and decided to switch to a turbo. A procharger and geardrive eats up alot of power on a 360" motor. I run an overweight A-body against a slew of modern mustangs and camaros. Do they have an advantage? Yes. They are lighter and have a vast assortment of parts to choose from. Do I make more power than them? Yes I do. And will do even better at it this year. Ford and chevy are not the ones building the parts in these high horsepower engines, the aftermarket community is. There were more darts, demons, dusters, valiants, and barracudas built than 67-69 camaros. And I bet there are 20 times more camaros from this era that can outrun the racy built Mopars. It started when we started worrying about these cars values rather than how fast we can make one run. I am willing to build whatever is available to me to make me competitive in whichever class I choose to run. And its no more expensive to build a Mopar than a chevy or ford when it comes to real power these days. Just harder to find the right parts. Good luck to you all. See you in the staging lanes!

6467132-dusterburnout.jpg (282 downloads)

Re: Small block race block [Re: W8n2DustU] #922028
02/09/11 10:58 PM
02/09/11 10:58 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
well said my man

Re: Small block race block [Re: fishy340] #922029
02/10/11 12:41 AM
02/10/11 12:41 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
I would have to agree with you there Marty!

Alan Jones
Re: Small block race block [Re: LA360] #922030
02/10/11 03:42 AM
02/10/11 03:42 AM
sycamore,ohio
B
BobsProFab Offline
master
BobsProFab  Offline
master
B

sycamore,ohio
my
most mopar guys are to cheap to spend the coin on a high end build.
they rely on companys to spit out mass production stuff or buy older tech knowledge hoping to compete with other brands, this is where you need to go out side the box on a build.

i will have more in my P7 heads and intake when they come back from Slawko then most on here have in there entire motor.

and you are not going to get the knowledge from what i call your average hack builder/assembler

you need to aline your self with high end builders that has done them and proved that they are the best.

and for the R5 cast block its a siamesed bore that can be bored 4.250 no problem and is fully skrited with 6 bolt billet mains/sealed cam tunnel with a 60 mm roller, perfect valve train geo. and a 20 bolt head. it dont get any better than that other than the open deck design which is like a desiel motor and they put tons of boost to them with no problems, so i dont see why you couldnt put boost to a R5 also.
REI that speacializes in turbo builds near me looked at my R5 block when they flowed my Davis heads and said they wouldnt be scared to do a boosted deal with one, and make ALOT of power no problem.

R5 blocks are everywhere for sale, just need to contact the right guys.

Bob

Re: Small block race block [Re: BobsProFab] #922031
02/10/11 10:20 AM
02/10/11 10:20 AM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline
master
408strokerdart  Offline
master

Out West
Quote:

my
they rely on companys to spit out mass production stuff or buy older tech knowledge hoping to compete with other brands, this is where you need to go out side the box on a build.

i will have more in my P7 heads and intake when they come back from Slawko then most on here have in there entire motor.

and you are not going to get the knowledge from what i call your average hack builder/assembler

you need to aline your self with high end builders that has done them and proved that they are the best.

and for the R5 cast block its a siamesed bore that can be bored 4.250 no problem and is fully skrited with 6 bolt billet mains/sealed cam tunnel with a 60 mm roller, perfect valve train geo. and a 20 bolt head. it dont get any better than that other than the open deck design which is like a desiel motor and they put tons of boost to them with no problems, so i dont see why you couldnt put boost to a R5 also.
REI that speacializes in turbo builds near me looked at my R5 block when they flowed my Davis heads and said they wouldnt be scared to do a boosted deal with one, and make ALOT of power no problem.

Bob

Not to hijack, but do you know how much a bare R5 block weighs?

Re: Small block race block [Re: 408strokerdart] #922032
02/10/11 10:27 AM
02/10/11 10:27 AM
Menomonee Falls
DemonDust Offline
master
DemonDust  Offline
master

Menomonee Falls
Quote:

Quote:

my

Bob

Not to hijack, but do you know how much a bare R5 block weighs?

With Bob. How many blocks you guys want? I can get probably 10 right now for around 800-1000. Just have to know the right guys.

I don't know block weight but a complete engine weighs right around 443

SDG Motorsports
Hellcat Demon and Redeye Supercharger CNC Porting
https://www.sdgmotorsports.com/
Re: Small block race block [Re: DemonDust] #922033
02/10/11 01:14 PM
02/10/11 01:14 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
I dont know about Mopar guys being cheap.

After all, mopars are the most expensive niche to play with of the big 3 imo.

Agree the R5 is stout pc but set it next to a DPS2 block.

Depending on app, it is obvious which block is designed for what.
Close the deck on the R5 and then maybe apples to apples.

There may be more blocks available now than there ever were in past.
Why?
cup teams folding... how many active mopars in nascar now?
Next week we will count them on one hand.

Like the W8 scenario in past.
When they switched over to the R5 program, for a while there was a glut of W8 stuff then poof, all gone. Where is Mopar?
Cant even get raw castings unless you happened to stash some during the glut.

Once the glut of the R5's are sucked up, it will be back to hens teeth for that engine design from Ma Mopar.

Luckily there are substantial amount of P7 heads being stashed and somebody making blocks that will accomodate them.

Hence my belief, the reason for less demand and availability falls on the manufacturer.

Follow Henry's advice, make the product affordable to the masses so everyone wants one and can afford it.

Mopars philosophy? Less supply= higher prices and more profit per pc. Who cares if we dont sell many.

They make short term $$$ today and sacrifice tomorrow.

Sell that new Challenger RT for 28G's, that will keep everyone busy, and one in every driveway...

IMO.

For something to think about off topic...
Dealer friend just sold his last new World BB.

POOF!!!
Another Ma Mopar fiasco...
NO BB availability.

Last edited by theclutcher; 02/10/11 05:39 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5