01/09/04 07:05 PM
01/09/04 07:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok so say one gets a low band apply RMVB w/o trans break. how should they burn out? still 2 to 3? couldnt you then go from 1st? i want a mvb for my street (AH! the S word! not in the race forum!) car, and i want all the benifits of street car: downshifting, burn outs. with out all that pesky transmission explosion.

Re: Reverse pattern valve bodies [Re: CRT] #9185
01/09/04 09:10 PM
01/09/04 09:10 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
I've got a Cheetah reverse Manual VB in the car and bolt-in sprag lying on the shelf, waiting installation.

So, in a transmission with a rev.manual-valvebody without lowband apply, how much of a protection against tranny blow-up is a bolt-in sprag?

Re: Reverse pattern valve bodies [Re: BigBlockMopar] #9186
01/09/04 09:38 PM
01/09/04 09:38 PM
Cedar Lake IN
CRT Offline
master
CRT  Offline
master

Cedar Lake IN
ok so say one gets a low band apply RMVB w/o trans break. how should they burn out? still 2 to 3? couldnt you then go from 1st? i want a mvb for my street (AH! the S word! not in the race forum!) car, and i want all the benifits of street car: downshifting, burn outs. with out all that pesky transmission explosion.
When racing, burnouts should start off in 2nd then shift to 3rd.On a steet car , well, we all do burn outs starting off in 1st gear,So I would have to say , shift into 2nd gear as quick as you can. Maybe Jim727 can chime in on this one.

I've got a Cheetah reverse Manual VB in the car and bolt-in sprag lying on the shelf, waiting installation.

So, in a transmission with a rev.manual-valvebody without lowband apply, how much of a protection against tranny blow-up is a bolt-in sprag?
A bolt in sprage keeps the outer sprage race from spinning in the case, It does not protect the springs and rollers.Low band apply VBs do help protect the springs and rollers , as the low band is ON when in first gear,

Last edited by CRT; 01/09/04 09:43 PM.
Re: Reverse pattern valve bodies [Re: LA360] #9187
01/09/04 09:53 PM
01/09/04 09:53 PM
N.J. north west
1972challenger Offline
enthusiast
1972challenger  Offline
enthusiast

N.J. north west
I have a cheeta RMV in my car and it's been in there 7 or 8 years many miles and two trans'es later and it's still going strong. street and strip. only trans blowups have come from blowing up 8 3/4 suregrips (junk!! with slicks) low 12's 105 mph 3700 lbs and a 440 with a 727. no frist gear burnouts. these can damage the over running clutch if the tires suddenly get traction. the problem is not having enough elements in the over running clutch. street tires on loose pavement shouldn't give you any problem. and I've been up and down shifting with my trans forever. thoes warnings are just to cover the makes butts

Re: Reverse pattern valve bodies [Re: CRT] #9188
01/09/04 10:16 PM
01/09/04 10:16 PM
Shelby Twp Michigan
727jim Offline
super gas
727jim  Offline
super gas

Shelby Twp Michigan
ok all lets see is we can solve a few things john from crt i correct in his last reply

#1 low band apply is extra proctection so you dont over speed the trans in the event of sprag failure

#2 on the burn out thing start in second like you would at the track (street racing not recommended)but if you may still second gear
#3 like john said 1st the second asap you put wear and extra load on the trans think about it the sprag and low reverse band are on with the rear clutch then you go to hit 2nd now you dump the low reverse band and try to clamp the kick down band on for 2nd gear which causes a little slip along with wear then grabs

#4 now racing street or strip you always launch in first so now difference street or strip
#5 A bolt in sprage keeps the outer sprage race from spinning in the case, It does not protect the springs and rollers.Low band apply VBs do help protect the springs and rollers , as the low band is ON when in first gear,
along time ago in the dealership we use to call they case savers you bolted in the outter race to save the case this will not help on over speeding the ft drum and sun shell

now for years alot of people have used many different valve body's with out issues but always remember safety first the tech world has come along ways in 20 years some people say i did my trans for 200 to 300 bucks with a 150 dollar converter well that is nice and all but remember the more HP you put out the more $$$$$$ you need to spend behind that mega motor you may have a awsome motor but what is behind it is what gets you to the end of the track

be safe low band appply is an extra safety measure thats all if your happy with what you got run with it but remember times have changed and so did parts bigger better and baddddddder go luck everyone

everyone i hope between all the replys this has helped if more info is needed please continue to post orcall / pm several of us

enjoy you weekend all

Page 2 of 2 1 2