Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: cjs69mope] #915361
01/28/11 12:13 PM
01/28/11 12:13 PM
R
runner77_360 Offline
runner77_360  Offline
R

I was told by the tech guy at our track,that if you run with less then 15 lbs of pressure in your slicks you need to use screws.I dont know if that is the rule for nhra but that is what i was told.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: StrokerAspen] #915362
01/28/11 04:41 PM
01/28/11 04:41 PM
aotearoa
rebel Offline
master
rebel  Offline
master

aotearoa
Quote:

You can see that the wrinkle is pulling from where the screw is on the wheel.

5 screws around the diameter of the wheel will make for large paddles, but fewer paddles (4 paddles)

this doesn't compare with my pic showing NO screws at all. somethings not right with this theory.

Last edited by rebel; 01/28/11 10:44 PM.
Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: rebel] #915363
01/28/11 05:45 PM
01/28/11 05:45 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

You can see that the wrinkle is pulling from where the screw is on the wheel.

5 screws around the diameter of the wheel will make for large paddles, but fewer paddles (4 paddles)

this doesn't compare with my pic showing NO screws at all. somethings not right with this theory.

not exactly sure what you are talking about ? what yours shows is a little low on air pressure, but not real bad

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: actionange] #915364
01/28/11 05:47 PM
01/28/11 05:47 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

I run 9 x 28 M/T's with tubes on an 8 inch rim with 18 lbs of air. They aren't screwed to the rims. Been doing this for the past 6 seasons without any issues. The tubes keep the tire stiffer at launch and all the way down the track.

yep I agree with Monte, don't matter how many passes or years you have been doing it you are taking a huge risk for yourself and the car in the other lane. I would refuse to race you.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915365
01/28/11 05:54 PM
01/28/11 05:54 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Quote:

Quote:

I run 9 x 28 M/T's with tubes on an 8 inch rim with 18 lbs of air. They aren't screwed to the rims. Been doing this for the past 6 seasons without any issues. The tubes keep the tire stiffer at launch and all the way down the track.

yep I agree with Monte, don't matter how many passes or years you have been doing it you are taking a huge risk for yourself and the car in the other lane. I would refuse to race you.

Find the spot in the rule book that states

Car must run tubes

car must have screws in rims

You goofs still doing dry hops too ?

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: cjs69mope] #915366
01/28/11 05:56 PM
01/28/11 05:56 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I run a fairly light car (Altered) with 17x33 tires & have run 14x32s on a 3800lb car. I've run tubes & no tubes but NEVER did I not "pin" the tires. As someone said, it only takes one time & you'll REALLY regret it. On both cars they seemed to react better, tires lasted longer and with no tubes the 60' was better. I've always indexed the screws, as mentioned previously, so the only conclusion/ question I can come up with is : For the small time & expense, why WOULDN'T you "pin" the slicks to the rims to avoid any potential problems when there's tons of evidence it actually helps?

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: bigdad] #915367
01/28/11 06:01 PM
01/28/11 06:01 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Car must run tubes

don't care what it says in the rule book, I will not risk running somebody with tubes and no screws. it's crazy

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915368
01/28/11 06:09 PM
01/28/11 06:09 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Car must run tubes

don't care what it says in the rule book, I will not risk running somebody with tubes and no screws. it's crazy

Then you better go thru tech with everyones car and also, you better check their drivetrain to see if there is a failure going to happen soon there too

Good lord

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: bigdad] #915369
01/28/11 06:11 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Car must run tubes

Then you better go thru tech with everyones car and also, you better check their drivetrain to see if there is a failure going to happen soon there too

Good lord

whatever,most of the guys I race with knows better than to do stupid things like that.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: bigdad] #915370
anywhere@ anytime
A
actionange Offline
top fuel
actionange  Offline
top fuel
A

anywhere@ anytime
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Car must run tubes

Thanks for that Big Dad

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915371
01/28/11 06:15 PM
01/28/11 06:15 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Car must run tubes

Good lord

whatever,most of the guys I race with knows better than to do stupid things like that.

Know better than what ? To disagree with you ?

You really think, if NHRA thought for a 2nd after 60 years that you needed screws, they would not have that in the rule book ?

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915372
01/28/11 06:16 PM
01/28/11 06:16 PM
anywhere@ anytime
A
actionange Offline
top fuel
actionange  Offline
top fuel
A

anywhere@ anytime
Quote:

Quote:

So do you inspect every car that lines up against you for EVERYTHING that MIGHT POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
I'm estatic to know that I'll never have to race you...maybe my 8 3/4 would break and send shrapnel into your lane too

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: bigdad] #915373
01/28/11 06:22 PM
01/28/11 06:22 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Car must run tubes

Good lord

You really think, if NHRA thought for a 2nd after 60 years that you needed screws, they would not have that in the rule book ?

here it is, if you dont think it's dangerous to have tubes in a wheel with nothing to prevent them from shearing off the valve stem somethingb is wrong with you I don't need nhra or anybody else to tell me it's dangerous. I have seen it happen, lucky the tire went down in the pits not on the track at speed.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: actionange] #915374
01/28/11 06:26 PM
01/28/11 06:26 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So do you inspect every car that lines up against you for EVERYTHING that MIGHT POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
I'm estatic to know that I'll never have to race you...maybe my 8 3/4 would break and send shrapnel into your lane too

no, most people have enough sence to know better you know I hope you never have a failure. this is one of those things I would get no pleasure out of saying I told you so.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: actionange] #915375
01/28/11 06:31 PM
01/28/11 06:31 PM
bigfork mn
D
dragram440 Offline
super stock
dragram440  Offline
super stock
D

bigfork mn
I dont have any screws and I never have, I have been through tech over and over and they have never said anything about rim screws. Even though I marked my tires last year and seemed to turn a couple inches each run. I was told if they turned it would break the beads with no tubes? I had tubes in my old slicks and when I bought my new Hoosier Q.T. pro's at the track the Hoosier dealer said dont run tubes!! I have a 8 3/4 to!! 3800lbs
I will probly screw them for next year.

Last edited by dragram440; 01/28/11 06:41 PM.

67' charger 499 RB 10.57 at 127
Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915376
01/28/11 06:54 PM
01/28/11 06:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You really crack me up. I go low 8's with no tubes or screws in a 3300 lb. car. Been running it this way for 12 years. Never had an issue. I run 12.75 lbs. in my TT5 M/T.

Car must run tubes

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks #915377
01/28/11 06:57 PM
01/28/11 06:57 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You really crack me up. I go low 8's with no tubes or screws in a 3300 lb. car. Been running it this way for 12 years. Never had an issue. I run 12.75 lbs. in my TT5 M/T.

Car must run tubes

Lol

well be careful , those tires are going to fly right off the rims !!

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915378
01/28/11 06:58 PM
01/28/11 06:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well after many months of not agreeing with you. This time with you. Never run a slick with tubes without screws. Valve stem is guranteed to shear off. My buddy that goes as slow as you heared off his valve stems w/o screws.

Car must run tubes

Good lord

here it is, if you dont think it's dangerous to have tubes in a wheel with nothing to prevent them from shearing off the valve stem somethingb is wrong with you I don't need nhra or anybody else to tell me it's dangerous. I have seen it happen, lucky the tire went down in the pits not on the track at speed.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks [Re: Quicktree] #915379
01/28/11 07:00 PM
01/28/11 07:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no, most people have enough sence to know better you know I hope you never have a failure. this is one of those things I would get no pleasure out of saying I told you so.

Well after many months of not agreeing with you. This time with you. Never run a slick with tubes without screws. Valve stem is guranteed to shear off. My buddy that goes as slow as you heared off his valve stems w/o screws.

Re: when to put screws in the rims for slicks #915380
01/28/11 07:06 PM
01/28/11 07:06 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
I would screw the rim too if I had tubes in
Back in the day, many people just put a hose clamp around the valve stem to keep it from being pulled thru

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5