T
TheBlackCar Offline
enthusiast
TheBlackCar  Offline
enthusiast
T

OH
Quote:

I have tried to contact Scott about having the event at Indy as it is under new management and a wonderful place now.

This track in the next 5 years will be as sought after as Norwalk when it comes to track prep, event coordination, and overall track personal

You seem to be quite the PR guy for IRP these days. Just remember that NHRA owns INDY and doesn't give a hoot about anything other than Labor day weekend at that track. Their genuine interest is for 1 weekend a year and the rest of the season they couldn't care less. Now you can dispute your case because your friend is gonna make big changes, which I hope is true, but don't be disappointed when his "hands are tied." Anything NHRA does is designed to take from the little guy in order to feed the machine.
That schedule you posted about Fri nights is a perfect example, $200 to race for what $1500 or so. Sounds too much like running a nat event at 300 a hit to win a grand. If it weren't for contingencies, that attendance would suffer. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see how your attendance fares as the season progresses.
All I'm sayin Josh is I understand your enthusiasum for your home turf, and IRP (or whatever name they hang on the gate) will always have a lore about it, but they have along way to go to compare with Norwalk. A premier track is alot more than concrete, asphalt, and a bunch of bleachers, there has to be that connection with the little guy, which NHRA doesn't have a good history of.
Anywho, sorry if I got off topic a bit. As for the OP, I would rather attend this event if it were in Indy or Chicago, not interested in going to St Louis. Like BG mentioned, the attendance would reflect that if the event were moved.

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: bad543dart] #913795
02/11/11 06:45 AM
02/11/11 06:45 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline OP
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline OP
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Have ya toss the idea around about Route 66 race way in Joliet, its a very nice facility and could easily accommodate the event. I don't know much about the prices or availability but it is a very nice set up there.

Here's Mick Copes reply in the thread in the general forum with an answer to that in bold.
Mick helps Scott with the show and takes care of the swap area during the show.

Quote:

Mick here. I've been organizing the Monster Mopar show with Scott for the last 25 years. I know there are a lot of rumors about this years show. I have been talking with Scott and here's what I can tell you. Scott is pretty determined to have the show in the St. Louis area rather than take it on the road.
We have done several out of town shows in the past ,Indy, Joliet, and Tennesee to name a few.
Putting a show on away from home incurs a lot of added expense, hotels, fuel,extra help, etc. All of those costs come right off the bottom line and moving a show to a new location is always a gamble.

Joliet would be a good choice for this year but the two years past that we did put on a show there we met with some resistance from the track and no cooperation from any of the local clubs when we tried to recruit help for set-up, judging , etc.

All that being said, we are working to finalize the details on a location in the St. Louis area. We have another meeting with the facility manager coming up and I hope to be able to post this year's date and location very soon. If this deal does work out Monster Mopar will be a car show and swap meet only this year. We feel that is better than to have no show at all. And hopefully we can find a new home for next year with a track so that we can return Monster Mopar to the show you all have made possible for the last 26 years !
Take care !
Mick

The thing everyone has to remember is that Scott doesn't go through all the work and put out the money up front just to put on an event for us.
He does it to make a profit, which there's nothing wrong with that.
He put's up what are probably the largest win payouts at a Mopar event.
If the event doesn't have a good turnout which has been a problem with both of his shows in Indy and Joliet,
how long do you think he would continue holding the show losing money?

If someone wants to, all they have to do is put up the money upfront and hold a Mopar event similar if they feel they can do it.
I'm sure some people will go, some will complain about the location, some will complain about the date it's held on.
You can't make everybody happy all at once.

My original post with the in this thread (and the poll) was simply to judge reaction to if it was not being held at a dragstrip. (meaning no racing).

I'd go to Monster Mopar where ever it was held.
I'd rather there was racing, but I'll go regardless.

But the location is up to Scott the man that puts the event on.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: B G Racing] #913796
02/11/11 09:12 AM
02/11/11 09:12 AM
St. Louis Mo.
10 o to go Offline
"Happy Don"
10 o to go  Offline
"Happy Don"

St. Louis Mo.
Quote:

What is the obsession with keeping it in St.Louis?Not many people on the East coast want to travel to St Louis.I would think Indiania,Ohio or even Pa. would bring more people to the event and even more local sponsors.

BG thier is a big following for MMW and its roots are in STL .
I've been to the CC event in bowling green in fact the last one they had.I wanted to go the CC in joliett they cancelled that one couple years back also.
You guys are very lucky to have a group of qtr mile tracks and mileage wise to run in those events .Along with alot of mopars in that area .Sure MMW is alot bigger event than most CC events,payouts are huge for a single weekend compared to CC .
I saw the CC promotor walking around MMW last year .
.I think its been fine tuned for so many years thats it a reliable show every year .
I've never been to the nats so i might make the drive their to race that one and flying to L.V for the MATS first time also .
Any track for STL to race qtr mile is 5 hours now .
DR

6469494-Beechbend.jpg (93 downloads)

2009 418" build dan smith built new 9.96 131.82 6.23 108 1.30 60 foot best to date 9/15/09 8in 727 430 dana 2860 lb 3040 lb w driver
Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: 10 o to go] #913797
02/11/11 10:43 AM
02/11/11 10:43 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill

i have been to the very first m m w
when we ran a 2 day and on the sat night
they ran thier regular sat eve points race
so there is alot of us who got used to the
show always being here
monster mopar weekend to us was
bigger to us here than any 'nats' was .
we have to hope that this year it will still be here
even if it just a swap meet/ show car for now
who knows maybe the PBIR group can get this place bought
and get it opened up again
and we can proceed with the rich heritage that MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND
brings

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: dennismopar73] #913798
02/11/11 11:21 AM
02/11/11 11:21 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hello,

I'm going even if it's the show and swap meet. I live in STL and have known scott for over 25 years. I'll support whatever it has to offer but sure wish their was racing. Its the main attraction for most people.

Damon

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: mopardamo] #913799
02/11/11 11:29 AM
02/11/11 11:29 AM
okla.
sam64 Offline
pro stock
sam64  Offline
pro stock

okla.
and there are racers west of st louis that atend mmw,i travel 420 miles to get there,any farther east would just be to far for my travels.

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: mopardamo] #913800
02/11/11 02:12 PM
02/11/11 02:12 PM
St. Charles, MO.
S
Slingshot383 Offline
mopar
Slingshot383  Offline
mopar
S

St. Charles, MO.
The first Monster Mopar Weekend, held at MAR with a side trip to the Chrysler Plant for a tour, what a weekend. There are a lot of people on this board that rememeber it, I'm sure. The potential for growth was also seen, that is why it was moved to Gateway as it outgrew MAR. The history with Monster Mopar Weekend is in St. Louis, and that is what makes it the event that it is, the best thing is to hope a deal for Gateway goes through and it reopens next year or the group trying to build the new track get all their ducks in a row and get it built.

1994 Undercover Chassis 125" altered stack injected big block, soon blown and injected Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #913801
02/11/11 03:49 PM
02/11/11 03:49 PM
charlotte nc
J
jimmysarrow Offline
jimmysarrow  Offline
J

charlotte nc
MOVE IT TO CHARLOTTE @ ZMAX. ZMAX has only 3 events this year on the weekends, 2 national events & 1 gospel singing event.ZMAX has plenty room on there schedule.

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: TheBlackCar] #913802
02/11/11 05:00 PM
02/11/11 05:00 PM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Quote:

Quote:

I have tried to contact Scott about having the event at Indy as it is under new management and a wonderful place now.

This track in the next 5 years will be as sought after as Norwalk when it comes to track prep, event coordination, and overall track personal

You seem to be quite the PR guy for IRP these days. Just remember that NHRA owns INDY and doesn't give a hoot about anything other than Labor day weekend at that track. Their genuine interest is for 1 weekend a year and the rest of the season they couldn't care less. Now you can dispute your case because your friend is gonna make big changes, which I hope is true, but don't be disappointed when his "hands are tied." Anything NHRA does is designed to take from the little guy in order to feed the machine.
That schedule you posted about Fri nights is a perfect example, $200 to race for what $1500 or so. Sounds too much like running a nat event at 300 a hit to win a grand. If it weren't for contingencies, that attendance would suffer. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see how your attendance fares as the season progresses.
All I'm sayin Josh is I understand your enthusiasum for your home turf, and IRP (or whatever name they hang on the gate) will always have a lore about it, but they have along way to go to compare with Norwalk. A premier track is alot more than concrete, asphalt, and a bunch of bleachers, there has to be that connection with the little guy, which NHRA doesn't have a good history of.

Not starting a pissing match at all, but take a quick look back at my post about the friday night race.

If you run pro-mod or ultimate dragster, its 150 to enter.
If you run limited or true street, its 75 dollars to enter
If it is index racing its 50 bucks to enter, and we pay #16 qualifier in every class his entry back as well as paying out to the quarters in every class their entry fee as well

We also offered up to racers that are participating in the evenings event that for an additional 50 dollars we will fully prep the track starting at 9:00 am and teh can make as many hits as they would like up to 6:00pm for an additional $50.00, where else can you basically rent the track, have great track prep for 50 bucks...

We are going to have cheap food, 2.00 beers, live bands, we are opening the track to local car clubs to use it as a cruise in spot on these friday nights for their members, and offering the racers free camping if they would liek to stay for teh weekend bracket race.

You are correct when you say NHRA has tainted the way racers look at them, but for you to call out this event to make an example of it, it has to be done so with facts, and sir, yours were incorrect.

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: B G Racing] #913803
02/12/11 01:12 AM
02/12/11 01:12 AM
IL
knyech1 Offline
mopar
knyech1  Offline
mopar

IL
Quote:

What is the obsession with keeping it in St.Louis?Not many people on the East coast want to travel to St Louis.I would think Indiania,Ohio or even Pa. would bring more people to the event and even more local sponsors.

Well....not many people from the Midwest want to go to the East coast......

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: joshking440] #913804
02/12/11 01:17 PM
02/12/11 01:17 PM
Louisville, MS
Dustedu Offline
super stock
Dustedu  Offline
super stock

Louisville, MS
Memphis would be great! And about centrally located as possible

Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: Dustedu] #913805
02/12/11 03:12 PM
02/12/11 03:12 PM
St. Louis Mo.
10 o to go Offline
"Happy Don"
10 o to go  Offline
"Happy Don"

St. Louis Mo.
Quote:

Memphis would be great! And about centrally located as possible

I would like to see it at memphis if it were a option for Scott to make it work in a suitable time frame.
They are looking for events and being IHRA now they accecpt NHRA cars and their licsences .
Also IHRA 9.00 before chassis tagged .
I was going to say alot of racers west of St.L come .

MMW was started at GIR not MAR they did have a race their .And they had a few scattered over the years .

Also the ZMAX track must be nice and sad to have a track with little racing.
DR

2009 418" build dan smith built new 9.96 131.82 6.23 108 1.30 60 foot best to date 9/15/09 8in 727 430 dana 2860 lb 3040 lb w driver
Re: Monster Mopar 2011???? [Re: 10 o to go] #913806
02/12/11 11:18 PM
02/12/11 11:18 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill

Why so few weekends for NHRA? I counted 16 that is really short all things considered. And NOTHING scheduled for St. Louis or Memphis..... sigh...... Having a bad case of winter blues today... I NEED RACING!

Thursday at 12:49pm · View Feedback (3)Hide Feedback (3)

NHRA We have 22 races this year. Full sked here (http://www.nhra.com/schedules/2011fts.aspx). St. Louis/Memphis owned by Dover Motorsports, which sold each of those facilities. Was not our choice to leave those markets.
Thursday at 1:10pm.

why would the nhra facebook site state that BOTH
memphis and st louis was SOLD
memphis was,, not st louis,, YET??/

Page 2 of 2 1 2