01/02/11 01:00 AM
01/02/11 01:00 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
A friend is making brackets for my sebring convertible seat retrofit as we speak. At this time I am going to replace the carpet and use sound deadener. I got enough Ram Audio Raamat (butyl based sound deadener peel and stick, will use with their ensolite foam pad also) I already have this stuff on hand.

I really want the car to be quiet and I was thinking of using lizard skin with the peel/stick over it. I don't doubt that lizard skin is a good product, but a bit steep in price and since I have no spray equipment, i'd have to buy a gun too.
I read this about a possible alternative, mixing ceramic microshpheres to exterior latex paint..but I was thinking of mixing them with something else like the Henry's elastomeric roofing compound or maybe rustoleum and roller/brush it on

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html

rolling/brushing it would save work masking and such since the car is not being completely torn down.

Any opinions? If it's totally a crackpot idea, by all means let me know

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Pool Fixer] #894098
01/02/11 01:27 AM
01/02/11 01:27 AM
wi.
J
joadman Offline
joadman  Offline
J

wi.
I have used the lizard skin many times I spray the firewall and complete inside of the car they make 2 different kinds a ceramic and none ceramic i use the ceramic on the bottom side of the car as it reflects the heat away then i use the other stuff on the inside of the car.It looks very nice sprayed on they of a spray gun you can buy.

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Pool Fixer] #894099
01/02/11 01:26 PM
01/02/11 01:26 PM
Wisconsin USA
B
Bill MeLater Offline
mopar
Bill MeLater  Offline
mopar
B

Wisconsin USA
Quote:

A friend is making brackets for my sebring convertible seat retrofit as we speak. At this time I am going to replace the carpet and use sound deadener. I got enough Ram Audio Raamat (butyl based sound deadener peel and stick, will use with their ensolite foam pad also) I already have this stuff on hand.

I really want the car to be quiet and I was thinking of using lizard skin with the peel/stick over it. I don't doubt that lizard skin is a good product, but a bit steep in price and since I have no spray equipment, i'd have to buy a gun too.
I read this about a possible alternative, mixing ceramic microshpheres to exterior latex paint..but I was thinking of mixing them with something else like the Henry's elastomeric roofing compound or maybe rustoleum and roller/brush it on

rolling/brushing it would save work masking and such since the car is not being completely torn down.

We had a couple of Henry's reps at work a few weeks ago for a demo and training session on all their products. Very cool stuff. We had horizontal and vertical mockups and they applied several different products. The next day the waterblock (latex based) was a solid sheet of rubber that could not be peeled off. I doubt you'd be able to roll it on very well, they used a trowel to achieve an 80 mil thickness. I wouldn't hesitate to use it myself if it wasn't so heavy. A 5 gal. bucket weighs about 40 pounds. The other thing I found interesting is their claim that their sheet based Products achieve 3000 percent better adhesion when rolled with a J roller as apposed to just pressing them on by hand,actually voids the warranty if not rolled (the claim they can tell just by looking)They acually left a palletload of stuff behind when thet were done, been trying to think of creative uses for it myself..

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Bill MeLater] #894100
01/02/11 02:13 PM
01/02/11 02:13 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

We had a couple of Henry's reps at work a few weeks ago for a demo and training session on all their products. Very cool stuff. We had horizontal and vertical mockups and they applied several different products. The next day the waterblock (latex based) was a solid sheet of rubber that could not be peeled off. I doubt you'd be able to roll it on very well, they used a trowel to achieve an 80 mil thickness. I wouldn't hesitate to use it myself if it wasn't so heavy. A 5 gal. bucket weighs about 40 pounds. The other thing I found interesting is their claim that their sheet based Products achieve 3000 percent better adhesion when rolled with a J roller as apposed to just pressing them on by hand,actually voids the warranty if not rolled (the claim they can tell just by looking)They acually left a palletload of stuff behind when thet were done, been trying to think of creative uses for it myself..

I see what you are saying abou the weight, but check the link above. If you mix in the ceramic/glass micro balloons you make it really light. ends up taking 1/4-1/2 gallon of the original material to yeild a full gallon. 50-75% of what you end up with is the beads. I wonder if it could be sprayed with an undercoat gun? in the thread that I linked, the original poster said the following:

I ended up mixing to a ratio of about 2.5 gallons of elastomeric compound (Henry's) to 2 gallons of microspheres. After seeing how thick the mixture was, I decided to roll it on which worked very well. I used a brush for tight spots and a smaller roller where I could fit it inside the doors. I spent several days applying a number of coats - probably about 5 coats which is likely more than required. I have since let the concoction sit a few weeks and I am now beginning to wire the car. The result is a tough, almost bedliner type of coating that has taken the "ring" out of the car when you tap on the steel. My '38 Dodge is all steel. I even coated the inside of the roof, doors, etc... Basically, anywhere I could fit the roller or a brush I applied the material and the amount I mixed was enough for any medium to large interior

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Pool Fixer] #894101
01/02/11 02:19 PM
01/02/11 02:19 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
I'm leaning towards getting a rustoleum rusty metal paint (gallon) in a red close to my cars color and mixing it with the microballons. It's cheap enough and even if its not quite lizard skin, It shouldn't hurt anything at least and all i'd be out is time and 20-30 bucks. The henry's sounds good, but I also want to do the inside of my trunk/rear wheel wells with it since it would look silly to pad it with the raamat...so I need something the same color.

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Pool Fixer] #894102
01/02/11 03:11 PM
01/02/11 03:11 PM
Wisconsin USA
B
Bill MeLater Offline
mopar
Bill MeLater  Offline
mopar
B

Wisconsin USA
I gotta say I really like the idea....But, from my experience, anything that has any sort of texture/additive is almost impossible to roll or brush on evenly. Here's a pic of what I used on the underbody and wheelwells of my car. After two hard Wisconsin years it still looks great. The spraygun is called a "Schutz" gun and only costs about $20. It will spray some amazingly viscous materials since it basically has a straight through 3/8" bore. You adjust the thickness/texture with an air pressure regulator. It seems like it would take a lot of air to work but it really doesn't because it works best in short bursts rather than long sweeping spray patterns. Mine worked out just fine with only a 3 gal. electric copressor. The latex based Henrys product I mentioned was a very light grey/tan color and I would be willing to bet it could be easily tinted to match your existing. Another thing to ponder is weather or not you''l be able to reach all the tight areas that really need to be coated in your trunk/wheelhouse sections with a brush. Whatever you decice, always do test panels first, it wouldbe almost impossible to "go back" once your trunk/floor is coated.

6392777-031ss.jpg (442 downloads)
Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Bill MeLater] #894103
01/02/11 05:07 PM
01/02/11 05:07 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
I've seen that raptor gun and others that don't come with a canister, where would you buy a canister for something that doesn't come in it's own canister (like henrys, etc...)

is that raptor canister the same thread as the metal ones you see on regular paint guns?

thanks.

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Pool Fixer] #894104
01/02/11 05:35 PM
01/02/11 05:35 PM
Wisconsin USA
B
Bill MeLater Offline
mopar
Bill MeLater  Offline
mopar
B

Wisconsin USA
Appears to be the "standard" bottle thread. If I get time I'll check later.

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Bill MeLater] #894105
01/03/11 07:39 PM
01/03/11 07:39 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY

Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: Pool Fixer] #894106
01/03/11 11:56 PM
01/03/11 11:56 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

House paint? Really?

What's the best surface to apply this 'mix' over? Original paint? Primer? Epoxy?

I was looking hard at Lizard Skin, but, if the same thing can be done for much cheaper......

(yes, I saw the link above, don't have the time/desire right now to read thru 16 pages).

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Lizard Skin alternative? [Re: SattyNoCar] #894107
01/04/11 01:02 AM
01/04/11 01:02 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
They say to use exterior latex enamel but im not so in love with that idea.im gona mix it with undercoating.at minimum ld use something like rustoleum for metal