D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Was just accused of making fake fender tags and passing them off by Barry Washington and he hung up on me on the phone.
I dont know what I did to get this kind of response and it really bothers me as I consider myself a straight up Guy.
Only thing I ever did was have Galen Govier make me a duplicate tag for my 70 Challenger R/T to match my build sheet with no intention of it ever being passed of as a real tag along with Galen's documentation of the carfrom the build sheet and showing He had made a tag. Also a while back I posted some questions as to how I could have a copy of my original tag made for my roadrunner once I found out it couldnt be done from the posters here on moparts I left it at that. The other day I went to the Hamtrack historical site and I see there is some dealer info on my car at the Hamtrack site and I try to call Him and ask Him about it all I get from is Him telling me off about making fake fender tags and hanging up on me with out me even being able to ask Him a single thing or explain what I wanted to ask Him.
I am totaly confused on this big time ! Anyone else have this kind of experience ?
Dave

Hopefully something can be worked out to get the information for your car. It would be a bummer to know paperwork is waiting for you but not be able to recieve it.

This thead really opened up a can of worms. Where is the "opening a can of worms" smiley?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: SomeCarGuy] #889225
12/28/10 04:36 PM
12/28/10 04:36 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Seems to be hitting home for some reason with you.

Yes, it is called mistreating others because they have a differing opinion or view......especially when their divinity is based solely on their opinions. Did you happen to read this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes It is almost a perfect parallel to what has happened to our Hobby!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889226
12/28/10 04:40 PM
12/28/10 04:40 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Yes, it is called mistreating others because they have a differing opinion or view......

I agree Dave, look at how many differing viewpoints there are just in this thread alone. We could all try to shove our viewpoints down someones throat, but at the end of the day they still have their own opinion.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Dave Watt] #889227
12/28/10 04:54 PM
12/28/10 04:54 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it is called mistreating others because they have a differing opinion or view......

I agree Dave, look at how many differing viewpoints there are just in this thread alone. We could all try to shove our viewpoints down someones throat, but at the end of the day they still have their own opinion.

I agree Dave that is why I have tried to support and stick up for the main group that TRULY represents the Hobby! If you like a car....buy it! You want to change and alter it....change it! You want to blow it up in your front yard...blow it up! Making up phony rules and phantom compliance's does nothing more than convey some of these folk's lack of self esteem. If they can tell everyone else what to do, how to act or how to think, they feel like they are in control. Simply Pathetic!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Rhinodart] #889228
12/28/10 04:55 PM
12/28/10 04:55 PM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
Quote:

The Hemmings article link below talks about that black Hemicuda that was sold at B-J for $801K and was being investigated, anyone know the outcome?

Quote:

I understand your predicament & hope you can find your original. I started a resto 5 yrs ago on my 68 383, 4spd Formula S & misplaced the tag or my mechanic did. Either way, I've got to find the original & even though I have the build sheet, I won't buy a ropop fender tag. The repops look fake to the discerning eye, anyway, & a few yrs ago, my bro bought a $42K, rotiserrie restored 68 GTX from a very 'reputable' dealer & resto shop that was a fake. He didn't know it until 6 mos after he sold the car to put his daughter thru college. Now, after looking at the tag, I can see its a fake. I'd never buy a car from this dealer & certainly question his reputation whether he know about it or not.
I agree, it depends on intent, but I certainly understand Barry's stand. Don't get me wrong, I'm in NO way accusing you of being dishonest, nor demeaning your intent with the following link. This article is exactly why, I believe, Barry feels the way he does. I was a victim of this guy who sold me a damaged 70 hemi block & crank & only found recourse by adding it to this lawsuit, because Barry & another Moparts member saw Pappas's ad on ebay & Hemmings & knew he was selling a fake &posted it on cuda chllenger.com.
Hats off to Barry & Aaron who noticed his tag & vin plate were fakes & posted it on the net. Here's the link http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/07/01/hmn_feature16.html
I was going to make a tag on my hemi challenger clone & put OH MANGO Kick ass Hemi, on the bottom line, but never did.

Anyway, best of luck finding your tag.

This link is about a Hemi orange N code Cuda that Pappas forged the VIN & Fender tags on. I don't think it had anything to do w/ the black hemi cuda. The court gave him 3 or 6 mos probation & I think he was allowed to keep the cuda (now with a NY police tag). What a travesty of justice, imo. He also forged the tag on a 69 coronet in Florida & got busted. Thanks to Aaron Hucker & Barry who caught the ads on Ebay & Hemmings & warned everyone, I was able to get some recourse on the hemi block. That was almost 2 yrs after I bought the block, too. The NY detective, Cliff Beider, who'se a Mopar guy, said tag forgery is epidemic in NY. Hats off to Aaron & Barry

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889229
12/28/10 05:00 PM
12/28/10 05:00 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
OK, so if you THINK you have done the due diligence and checked out a car, then get it home and find out it is a fake...

Would you still be opposed to people like Barry that freely provide information that would have helped you, even as an "expert"(whatever that is) to determine what a car is?

This gets back to an argument that many have that "I outsmarted somebody, so it is right for me to do what others think is wrong because I can". "It is the other guy's fault that he didn't catch me."

"What do you mean I committed fraud? He could have figured it out. I have a right to do as I damn well please."

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: SomeCarGuy] #889230
12/28/10 05:04 PM
12/28/10 05:04 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Iceman01 Offline
Challenged
Iceman01  Offline
Challenged

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:

OK, so if you THINK you have done the due diligence and checked out a car, then get it home and find out it is a fake...

Would you still be opposed to people like Barry that freely provide information that would have helped you, even as an "expert"(whatever that is) to determine what a car is?

This gets back to an argument that many have that "I outsmarted somebody, so it is right for me to do what others think is wrong because I can". "It is the other guy's fault that he didn't catch me."

"What do you mean I committed fraud? He could have figured it out. I have a right to do as I damn well please."

Hey, I know... let's all agree to live in our own police state so Big Brother can ensure nothing could ever possibly go wrong!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: NicksGarage] #889231
12/28/10 05:09 PM
12/28/10 05:09 PM
Orange County, CA
M
Mike H Offline
enthusiast
Mike H  Offline
enthusiast
M

Orange County, CA
A spirited post, to say the least. Here's my two cents.

Fender tags and build sheets are not legally required, legally binding, nor illegal to produce or buy/sell. If someone wants to fill the void under the hood or have a build sheet made to look like the original,complete with rusty seat spring marks, whether they possess the original or not is totally their decision. Nothing immoral about it.

Dissing those who produce or want such items just because some use said items to misrepresent their car is exactly like some whining liberal blaming Glock or Sig for the murder rate.

"Fake" is a pejorative. That term is perhaps more aptly reserved for things like my repop Challenger wheel well moldings that took an entire day and every four letter word I know to fit. Those, my friends, were fakes.

Nobody in the 60's was prescient. Nobody figured these cars would ever command the $ they do today. Had they been, I'm sure the manufacturers would have been taken steps to authenticate the uniqueness of the cars and prevent "counterfeiting" beyond just some chintzy metal tag.

The last I checked, "let the buyer beware" applied to mopars like everything else. If I pay a million bucks for a fake Van Gogh, the last person who deserves my wrath is the litho shop that produced the painting. I have no one but myself to blame for not enlisting the services of skilled art appraisers.

For example, take a 69 1/2 RR Six Pack car vs. a Satellite clone of the same. The only differences between those cars are a couple of letters and numbers on a couple of small pieces of sheet metal. If someone thinks those little pieces of metal are worth an additional $85K, that's their trip. But they only have themselves to blame, not the fender tag reproducer, for not ending up with the real deal.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: SomeCarGuy] #889232
12/28/10 05:23 PM
12/28/10 05:23 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
You assume dishonesty in everything you have posted. My mind doesn't work that way and I do not break the law with anything I do. Fender tags and build-sheets are two items that have been sensationalized by a few who have decided to make a business from preaching their importance. (Even poisoned water has some nutritional value.) Should money no longer be printed because crooks try to counterfeit it? Should the speed limit be abolished because some continue to exceed it? Should baseball bats be illegal because gang members use them as a weapon of choice?

Like I stated earlier, my mind is not consumed with the thieves and negative aspects for everything in life. You do the best you can to deter the bad and strive to do what is right. Given the opportunity, there will always be someone that does the wrong thing. You can't quit living because of the fools.

People who have no checks and balances usually become corrupt. Being the Judge, Jury and Executioner is a very dangerous thing for ANY area of interest. THAT was my only point and why I kept pushing the "authority" question. So who keeps those guys in line? It should be obvious to everyone that there are no "overseeing" Mopar agencies except those that are already established and legitimate. The other "big shots" are having fun playing Barney Fife and telling everyone how they should interpret the Hobby!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889233
12/28/10 05:40 PM
12/28/10 05:40 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
You seem to take a lot of fun in calling out the "Barney Fife" guys that bring this to light.

I sure do see dishonesty in many, many facets of life. Making bogus tags is a great example. I'm not sure why some think that it is a right for whoever to make fake stuff, yet at the same time, think it is wrong for guys like Barry to call them out.

Barry(and others) must not have any rights?

If you think the gubmint can or should protect us from everything, well, good luck with that. They can't be everywhere, they don't have the expertise that hobbiests do in a matter like this. Some things it is up to "we the people" to enforce. Sharing info about fake stuff in our hobby is one way to combat fraud.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889234
12/28/10 05:43 PM
12/28/10 05:43 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Fender tags and build sheets are not legally required, legally binding, nor illegal to produce or buy/sell. If someone wants to fill the void under the hood or have a build sheet made to look like the original,complete with rusty seat spring marks, whether they possess the original or not is totally their decision. Nothing immoral about it.

Dissing those who produce or want such items just because some use said items to misrepresent their car is exactly like some whining liberal blaming Glock or Sig for the murder rate.

"Fake" is a pejorative. That term is perhaps more aptly reserved for things like my repop Challenger wheel well moldings that took an entire day and every four letter word I know to fit. Those, my friends, were fakes.

Nobody in the 60's was prescient. Nobody figured these cars would ever command the $ they do today. Had they been, I'm sure the manufacturers would have been taken steps to authenticate the uniqueness of the cars and prevent "counterfeiting" beyond just some chintzy metal tag.

The last I checked, "let the buyer beware" applied to mopars like everything else. If I pay a million bucks for a fake Van Gogh, the last person who deserves my wrath is the litho shop that produced the painting. I have no one but myself to blame for not enlisting the services of skilled art appraisers.

For example, take a 69 1/2 RR Six Pack car vs. a Satellite clone of the same. The only differences between those cars are a couple of letters and numbers on a couple of small pieces of sheet metal. If someone thinks those little pieces of metal are worth an additional $85K, that's their trip. But they only have themselves to blame, not the fender tag reproducer, for not ending up with the real deal.

Thanks for proving my point about those that think "because I can I should, screw everybody. I do what I want and they can deal with it since I'm so smart".

Couldn't have timed that much better.

None of that changes the reasoning behind people with information sharing it with others to prevent fraud.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889235
12/28/10 06:07 PM
Western Pa
joewhite440 Offline
pro stock
joewhite440  Offline
pro stock

Western Pa
The "Hemi Charger" they are rebuilding on the TV show Chop Cut and Rebuild is suppose to be "one of one as stated by Galon Govier on the show if it exist". The only parts they are reusing are the unibody, all the sheet metal including the Roof and some of the Roof supports are being replaced. They have to weld the sections with the body vins back into the new AMD Rad Support and trunk Rail panels. But I am sure if GTS says it is good it will be worth Giant money. Has anyone else watched this show? Am I confused on what they are doing? With that much metal replaced is it considered the same car just because they reused the Vins? I do not know where to draw the line on these rebuilds.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889236
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

Very well put Mike, my thoughts on this matter exactly,......nice to see others share the same view

Mike

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Dave Watt] #889237
12/28/10 06:08 PM
12/28/10 06:08 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
Quote:

Hopefully something can be worked out to get the information for your car. It would be a bummer to know paperwork is waiting for you but not be able to receive it.

This is the part that burns my A$$....Barry's web site shows he has information on this guys car, but Barry's not going to share it because Barry doesn't like the guy I got the same response when I asked about a T/A that a customer wanted to buy....Barry doesn't like me so he's not willing to help....

Such is his right...I really don't care, but the ironic thing is...Barry has obtained some of his published info without the owners consent in the first place...So who's the crook here ?

I have a ton of respect for guys like Barry who take the time and put fourth the effort to run such registries because I'm a firm believer in them....
It's when these people start playing "God" with our hobby is when it starts getting out of hand.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: anlauto] #889238
12/28/10 06:28 PM
12/28/10 06:28 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully something can be worked out to get the information for your car. It would be a bummer to know paperwork is waiting for you but not be able to receive it.

This is the part that burns my A$$....Barry's web site shows he has information on this guys car, but Barry's not going to share it because Barry doesn't like the guy I got the same response when I asked about a T/A that a customer wanted to buy....Barry doesn't like me so he's not willing to help....

Such is his right...I really don't care, but the ironic thing is...Barry has obtained some of his published info without the owners consent in the first place...So who's the crook here ?

I have a ton of respect for guys like Barry who take the time and put fourth the effort to run such registries because I'm a firm believer in them....
It's when these people start playing "God" with our hobby is when it starts getting out of hand.

Alan I'll quote you so he can see it LOL...

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: joewhite440] #889239
12/28/10 06:31 PM
12/28/10 06:31 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
]The "Hemi Charger" they are rebuilding on the TV show Chop Cut and Rebuild is suppose to be "one of one as stated by Galon Govier on the show if it exist". The only parts they are reusing are the unibody, all the sheet metal including the Roof and some of the Roof supports are being replaced. They have to weld the sections with the body vins back into the new AMD Rad Support and trunk Rail panels. But I am sure if GTS says it is good it will be worth Giant money. Has anyone else watched this show? Am I confused on what they are doing? With that much metal replaced is it considered the same car just because they reused the Vins? I do not know where to draw the line on these rebuilds.

You draw the line where your personal opinion is formed and/or determined,....I for one can't "understand" the rational when someone cobbles together a car from a collection of used/NOS parts and a dozen donors and 500 miles of welding wire to basically a VIN/ fender tag, claim it as a "numbers" restoration and "saving" the original car, yet give some guy grief over a "rebody" because he rolled a nice rustfree donor under the tags instead,....he basically acheived the same results, albeit with a better structure IMHO,....regarding the "cut/chop/build" Charger I really see nothing wrong with the "way" the car was "restored",....it's status or lack of status regarding "numbers" or production criteria means nothing to me,...I see it as a machine, repaired/rebuilt using whatever method was needed to "revive" it, and if they want to "hang" a set of "numbered tags" on it, that boast of it uniqueness, that's fine with me, it's just the same as a name tag worn by a greeter at Walmart that "marks" their "uniqueness" in the world

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889240
12/28/10 06:33 PM
12/28/10 06:33 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

what he said

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mr.Yuck] #889241
12/28/10 06:55 PM
12/28/10 06:55 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
Although it was many years ago,I remember the days when people used to look under the hood of a Mopar,to see what made them go so fast. Nobody cared about tags and numbers. The only dollar amount that was discussed,was how much the wager was to race that 454 Chevelle,that just went by on the Ave. Sometimes I really miss those days.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: chargervert] #889242
12/28/10 07:19 PM
12/28/10 07:19 PM
Ramona, CA
NicksGarage Offline
master
NicksGarage  Offline
master

Ramona, CA
What the people giveth, the people can taketh away!

ECS quickly got a name for themselves by producing quality products and they did because they saw what others were selling and and knew they could do better and did. And where did this authority come from? From the people who wanted better products and were not going to put up with the "it's all you can get" vendors who pushed their poor quality stuff. If ECS was to loose that quality edge, the people would tear them down just as quickly.

Same for these "authorities". You hear a lot of bad mouthing of a particular one a lot and for good reason. The other, a few people have a problem with but for the most part he gets praised, again for good reason. I'm not saying what was done here was right or wrong, that's not my place because I wasn't there. Same with watching the TV and believing what is spewed out by pundits. Think for yourselves.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889243
12/28/10 07:32 PM
12/28/10 07:32 PM
Walton, Indiana
TimS Offline
top fuel
TimS  Offline
top fuel

Walton, Indiana
Hot Topic!! By the way, Galen has been working with a guy back East ( formally called AG Backeast) and charging a handsome price to make fender tags for years. Not sure if they are still in together or not. All you needed was a broadcast sheet. I checked on this about 20 years ago. AG would not do one unless Galen blessed it.

1968 Barracuda Fastback 318-2BBL 904 2.76 Frost Blue Survivor
1970 Roadrunner 440+6 BBL 727 AT 4.10 SG Dana Blue Fire Metallic
1971 Cuda 340-4 BBL 4spd 3.91 SG Curious Yellow
1972 Barracuda 318-2 BBL 904 AT 3.23 1 Legger Tor Red/White Vinyl Top
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi AT Patriot Blue
2011 Dodge Challenger RT 5.7 Hemi 6spd 392 SG Triple Black
2014 Dodge Charger RT Max AWD 5.7 Hemi AT 305 Billet Silver
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17