glendora, ca.
D
Deepockets Offline OP
super stock
Deepockets  Offline OP
super stock
D

glendora, ca.
not quite clear on what's going to happen or the reasoning of this on the side seals. to me the mopar directions are unclear. do you soak the intire seals? or just put some on the block so it slides down easy. also i read on a post that oil puddles in the seal retainer. why would'nt you just put a small relief hole so the oil would drain back into the crankcase?

Re: deisel fuel or mineral spirits on rear side seal? [Re: Deepockets] #881139
12/15/10 11:33 PM
12/15/10 11:33 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I bought a can( 1 pint) of mineral spirits to use on the side seals, I use a 5 CC hyperdermintg(SP?) syringe(buy them at the local drugstore or animal feed stores) and needle to squirt the mineral spirits down the sides of the seals after there installed(with the motor upside down on a engine stand) I also use adhesive silicone RTV to seal the seal holder up to the rear of the block rear main seal sides totally on both sides after letting the mineral spirits soak in overnight As far as drilling or grinding a slot on the seal holder I don't see any need for that The seal is sealing against the crankshaft and the bottom of the rear seal holder and the lip on the seal holder is probally (I haven't measured it exactly ) .100 or more away from the crankshaft rear main seal surface so there shouldn't be a issue with the lip holding more oil against the seal than can drain out by gravity I do lube the seal lip and the crankshaft with high temp moly grease so it won't be torn up while degreeing the cam and other times rotating the crankshaft around before starting the motor up the first time Don't forget to prime the oil pump while turning the motor over before starting a new motor

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: deisel fuel or mineral spirits on rear side seal? [Re: Deepockets] #881140
12/16/10 04:21 AM
12/16/10 04:21 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
You dunk the seals in mineral spirits then install them very very quickly. Once the mineral spirits touches the seals, the seals begin to expand VERY quickly. That's why you give them a quick dunk and get them in. Wait around too long and the seals will expand so big that you can't get them in with the main seal cap.

Never thought to hit them with mineral spirits after the fact but I guess it should work. I think last time I used paint thinner instead of mineral spirits and it worked the same.