rockerbob Offline
mopar
rockerbob  Offline
mopar
R

Raleigh, NC
Quote:

Quote:

My cars are insured with Haggerty. They don't cover "on track", but will cover you in the pits, return road, etc.
That reminds me I still need to get my hail dammage fixed

Is it covered while its being towed on a trailer, if its in an accident? Im asking because my dad was in an accident this week, and was towing two quads. They arent covered under his insurance.

You may want to double check on that. Years ago I was a Life/Health agent. Not the same as a Property/Casualty agent, but I knew several of those & I realize every state has different laws. However they told me that any proberty that has value is covered under your home owners insurance for up to 10% if damaged while on your property. Doeesn't even have to belong to you. Just parked/sitting or stored there. This would include race cars. Again up to 10% of the value. And the damage. Same with towing. If the tow vehicel is covered then the trailer and its contents are automatically covered up to 10%. You can purchase a rider for additional coverage if you want. Here in NC we have to have tags on the trailers & they are then covered under the tow vehicals policy. Thats my understanding under NC insurance laws. I will check this weekend with one of my buddies whos a retired agent. I know 10% is not much, but its something. And you can always buy a rider to attach to the policy. Hope this works for you guys.

2005 Dakota 4X4 3.7 2004 Rumble Bee 5.7 1978 Diplomat 318 1969 Satellite 318 "bracket racer" 1966 Barracuda (in progress ) 1964 Dodge 330 (future race project) 1962 Belvedere (HUM????)
Re: insurance for race car [Re: moparguy7074] #870498
12/04/10 09:11 AM
12/04/10 09:11 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Quote:

Quote:

My cars are insured with Haggerty. They don't cover "on track", but will cover you in the pits, return road, etc.

Is it covered while its being towed on a trailer, if its in an accident? Im asking because my dad was in an accident this week, and was towing two quads. They arent covered under his insurance.

The car is covered by it's own insurance when it's on a trailer. It's not covered by the truck/trailer's insurance, and neither would the quads be covered by the truck/trailer's insurance, unless the vehicle in question is being transported by a commercial hauler. A commercial policy for someone hauling vehicles for a fee would include coverage for the customer's vehicle while it was on the trailer. The trailer itself does not have to be insured to be covered by the truck's policy. The trailer itself would be covered under your dad's truck insurance, up to whatever limit was specified in the policy.

Quads have titles, VIN's, etc...and insurance is readily available for them. If they aren't covered, it's because he didn't insure them.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: insurance for race car [Re: not_a_charger] #870499
12/04/10 09:22 AM
12/04/10 09:22 AM
Orlando Florida
blown572dart Offline
master
blown572dart  Offline
master

Orlando Florida
Bills covers up to 100k on track off track in trailer in pits anywhere the car is. It also covers the guy in the other lane to 50k if you hit them. Not cheap by any means but wort it.

Re: insurance for race car [Re: not_a_charger] #870500
12/04/10 10:21 AM
12/04/10 10:21 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The car is covered by it's own insurance when it's on a trailer. It's not covered by the truck/trailer's insurance, and neither would the quads be covered by the truck/trailer's insurance, unless the vehicle in question is being transported by a commercial hauler. A commercial policy for someone hauling vehicles for a fee would include coverage for the customer's vehicle while it was on the trailer. The trailer itself does not have to be insured to be covered by the truck's policy. The trailer itself would be covered under your dad's truck insurance, up to whatever limit was specified in the policy.

Quads have titles, VIN's, etc...and insurance is readily available for them. If they aren't covered, it's because he didn't insure them.

so if somebody hits you while transporting wouldn't they liable if they were at fault?

Re: insurance for race car [Re: Quicktree] #870501
12/04/10 11:46 AM
12/04/10 11:46 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Yes. Let me clarify:

You have a car on your trailer. You're towing your trailer with your truck. You have an accident that is your fault, or that isn't your fault, but was caused by an unidentified vehicle (hit-skip, for example), or was a comp claim (impact with an animal, weather related incident, etc...). Your collision coverage will cover your truck and your trailer, but not the car/boat/motorcycle/front end loader/suitcase full of $100s that is on your trailer.

You have a car on your trailer. You're towing your trailer with your truck. You have an accident that is not your fault. Another person rear ends you. Their liability insurance will cover your truck, your trailer, and the contents of your trailer, up to their policy limit and/or the actual cash value of the damaged property, whichever is less.

DBAP
Re: insurance for race car [Re: rockerbob] #870502
12/04/10 12:49 PM
12/04/10 12:49 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Not sure if this is current, but in New York homeowners policy specifically used to exclude:
1. motor vehicles of any kind (lawn mower, parts, tools are OK)
2. furs
3. cash
4. jewelry
5. guns
6. art with value in excess of (used to be $1,000)
7. objects of sentimental value unless appraised

Boffin Emeritus
Re: insurance for race car [Re: rockerbob] #870503
12/04/10 02:35 PM
12/04/10 02:35 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Quote:

However they told me that any proberty that has value is covered under your home owners insurance for up to 10% if damaged while on your property. Doeesn't even have to belong to you. Just parked/sitting or stored there. This would include race cars. Again up to 10% of the value. And the damage. Same with towing. If the tow vehicel is covered then the trailer and its contents are automatically covered up to 10%. You can purchase a rider for additional coverage if you want. Here in NC we have to have tags on the trailers & they are then covered under the tow vehicals policy. Thats my understanding under NC insurance laws. I will check this weekend with one of my buddies whos a retired agent. I know 10% is not much, but its something. And you can always buy a rider to attach to the policy. Hope this works for you guys.

For the most part, motor vehicles are specifically excluded from coverage under your homeowners policy, and neither is stuff (cars or otherwise) owned by someone else but being stored on your property.

The usual exception to the motor vehicle exclusion are vehicles that are NOT subject to vehicle registration laws, are used solely to service the insured's property, or to assist the handicapped, or a golf cart to be used to/from/on a golf course, for folks who live in golf course communities. There are other difference from state to state, policy to policy, but generally speaking those are the big 3 exceptions to the exclusion.

DBAP
Re: insurance for race car [Re: polyspheric] #870504
12/04/10 02:38 PM
12/04/10 02:38 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Quote:

Not sure if this is current, but in New York homeowners policy specifically used to exclude:
1. motor vehicles of any kind (lawn mower, parts, tools are OK)
2. furs
3. cash
4. jewelry
5. guns
6. art with value in excess of (used to be $1,000)
7. objects of sentimental value unless appraised

With many policies, those items are covered, but up to a certain limit (usually $200 for cash, $1k for most jewelry, guns, furs, etc..., a little more for other things like silver/goldware, computers, and so on). Coverage can be increased by adding an endorsement to the policy.

Utility trailers and small watercraft are also usually covered, usually up to $1k.

DBAP
Page 2 of 2 1 2