G
Gary Robbins Offline
super stock
Gary Robbins  Offline
super stock
G

Idabel,Oklahoma
Quote:

This post was never ment to be a no brainer!,Seems nobody that has clout(mopar nationals,that car magazine(sorry i don,t read car comic books) are willing to support heads up racing for the mopar people....So don,t hate when i put that big chief headed motor in the bird..Cause i can go twice as fast and cheaper..I have nothing against brkt raceing,Cause i could put my snow blower motor in the bird and run the same numbers every pass...

Hell let's forget about a mopar series and have a annual grudge race to find out who the big dog is in the skinny tire mopar world...Keep it simple on the rules and i will sponsor $2500.00 to the winner(like at bowling green-beechbend)and there will still be excuses not to participate!

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: Gary Robbins] #858885
11/22/10 07:53 PM
11/22/10 07:53 PM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Quote:

Quote:

This post was never ment to be a no brainer!,Seems nobody that has clout(mopar nationals,that car magazine(sorry i don,t read car comic books) are willing to support heads up racing for the mopar people....So don,t hate when i put that big chief headed motor in the bird..Cause i can go twice as fast and cheaper..I have nothing against brkt raceing,Cause i could put my snow blower motor in the bird and run the same numbers every pass...

Hell let's forget about a mopar series and have a annual grudge race to find out who the big dog is in the skinny tire mopar world...Keep it simple on the rules and i will sponsor $2500.00 to the winner(like at bowling green-beechbend)and there will still be excuses not to participate!

ill be there mopar body, mopar motor and drag radial or tt5... those are could be the only rules

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: Gary Robbins] #858886
11/22/10 08:50 PM
11/22/10 08:50 PM
mi usa
O
old yeller Offline OP
super stock
old yeller  Offline OP
super stock
O

mi usa
Quote:

Quote:

I like your thinking!,and your right, ur still going to have your cry babys,its been proven thousands of times stock suspension cars hook just as good as a ladder bar car or a 4 link car..Have the cars weigh about the same and run the same size tires and let er rip...i,m in!!

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: old yeller] #858887
11/22/10 09:44 PM
11/22/10 09:44 PM
Mountain City, TN
J
JesseR Offline
mopar
JesseR  Offline
mopar
J

Mountain City, TN
I think there are several comments in this thread that are the reasons why there are very little headsup mopars out there.Mopar people are more of a resto, purist type compared to other brands and it is very expenisive to build and maintain a headsup car. This is why we index race, i love headsup racing, but at the same time have alot of respect for bracket racers, if a could afford it we would race headsup. Index racing in my eyes is a step between bracket and headsup racing, and an opportunity for someone that maybe can't quite afford to run the headsup classes in his area, to at least leave together on the tree.I think the small series that myself, leon and donald ran in was well represented by mopars throughout the season, mostly in the index classes, and donalds very unique combination showed people what mopars were capable of, just my

6315144-063.JPG (79 downloads)

82' dodge pickup with a 499 low deck
Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: JesseR] #858888
11/22/10 10:01 PM
11/22/10 10:01 PM
North Cackilacky
S
sdaurity Offline
pro stock
sdaurity  Offline
pro stock
S

North Cackilacky
I think most of it is Money is tight for everyone not that there aren't cars. When my Dad, Bill, Andy, Lenny, Leon, Mike R., Mike G., and I know I'm leaving alot of people out but people seemed to race then, even if they were off the fastest cars pace It wasn't outrageous to come race. Now I can't drive all over the country to race without having a chance of winning. I don't know about everybody else but me and My pops business is making less money now than in the late 90's. and how much more is fuel, motels, entry fees's, I'm not even gonna start on how much more you have to spend to have a competitive car nowadays as Leon said. I would almost say it cost double to travel and race to what it did 10-15 yrs ago and payouts are the same. I think thats why you see 3 or 4 huge races for heads up cars and tons of local series now. If someone wanted to put together a race at say the clay city Mopar race (I think that is pretty centralized for everyone) for everyone later next year I would be down. I know the one guy has tried it before with the KOS reunion and had semi success. I did spectate one year, and couldn't make it the 2nd one. I actually have been talking to some guys about trying to have one at a local Mopar race here in NC. Stephen Daurity

One day I will have something cool here.
Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: JesseR] #858889
11/22/10 10:16 PM
11/22/10 10:16 PM
mi usa
O
old yeller Offline OP
super stock
old yeller  Offline OP
super stock
O

mi usa
Whats the diffrience between brkt racing and index racing?....besides spoting the slower car the lead...Cause you guys still lose if you break out...right?

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: old yeller] #858890
11/22/10 11:05 PM
11/22/10 11:05 PM
Mountain City, TN
J
JesseR Offline
mopar
JesseR  Offline
mopar
J

Mountain City, TN
you are right, if you are quicker than the given index, you've lost the race. That's what i was saying it is a class between the two, both cars leave together but you've also got to run the number.Some people like, some don't, just like all other types of racing. For us, its what we can afford to do right now and be competitive, Jesse.

6315354-063.JPG (93 downloads)

82' dodge pickup with a 499 low deck
Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: Bill_LBSR] #858891
11/22/10 11:30 PM
11/22/10 11:30 PM
Baltimore,MD
lowbudget Offline
mopar addict
lowbudget  Offline
mopar addict

Baltimore,MD
"I should have my engine back soon for my Dart" thats just funny right there, I dont care who you are

6315399-DSCF1977.JPG (90 downloads)
Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: Gary Robbins] #858892
11/22/10 11:45 PM
11/22/10 11:45 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds great, Is there some kind of mopar even at those tracks? If not what about norwalk don't they have a mopar event we could get this in on?

I would love to bring my TT5 mopar powered mopar to this and bring a grand for the pot. just make it a couple of months out so people can get it on their schedule.

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: JesseR] #858893
11/22/10 11:53 PM
Idabel,Oklahoma
G
Gary Robbins Offline
super stock
Gary Robbins  Offline
super stock
G

Idabel,Oklahoma
Quote:

you are right, if you are quicker than the given index, you've lost the race. That's what i was saying it is a class between the two, both cars leave together but you've also got to run the number.Some people like, some don't, just like all other types of racing. For us, its what we can afford to do right now and be competitive, Jesse.

I actually ran a index race in n. texas a couple of weekends ago($2500. to win 5.30 index)and was #1 qualifier with a 5.31 @ 135 and won the event,would i do it again,yes if index is low enough,but would pass if heads-up race was on same night.Was sure strange lifting (2nd round-killed 4 mph and still ran a 5.35)before finish line and not being out of shape...Back on track,my offer is real on the grudge race with enough interest and tire size and weight being the main rules...Are there any real players...Gary

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: moparniac] #858894
sycamore,ohio
B
BobsProFab Offline
master
BobsProFab  Offline
master
B

sycamore,ohio
Quote:

mopar is too dang expensive anything.....

i hear the " I can build a chevy for half the price " B.S.
true if you buy the run of the mill parts.

it doesnt make a difference $$$ when you get to the caliber of motors that you need to compete whether its a mopar, ford , or chevy
just ask one of the GOOD high end engine builders.

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: BobsProFab] #858895
11/23/10 12:11 AM
11/23/10 12:11 AM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Dang..an annual Mopar heads-up race sounds awesome!! Easy rules, central location and have at it.

Enough cars could flip their combo's around to fit something like that..hope to see it pan out. Just beware of it becoming a drag radial TT Viper race....

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: SRT6776] #858896
11/23/10 12:13 AM
11/23/10 12:13 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
8th mile would take care of that

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: BobsProFab] #858897
11/23/10 12:22 AM
11/23/10 12:22 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Quote:

Quote:

mopar is too dang expensive anything.....

i hear the " I can build a chevy for half the price " B.S.
true if you buy the run of the mill parts.

it doesnt make a difference $$$ when you get to the caliber of motors that you need to compete whether its a mopar, ford , or chevy
just ask one of the GOOD high end engine builders.

Ain't that the truth Bob!

Alan Jones
Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: bigtimeauto] #858898
11/23/10 12:35 AM
Idabel,Oklahoma
G
Gary Robbins Offline
super stock
Gary Robbins  Offline
super stock
G

Idabel,Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds great, Is there some kind of mopar even at those tracks? If not what about norwalk don't they have a mopar event we could get this in on?

I would love to bring my TT5 mopar powered mopar to this and bring a grand for the pot. just make it a couple of months out so people can get it on their schedule.

That's great, another grand added to the pot,soon we could make it interesting.The reason i suggested bowling green was it seemed like (10 hours for us) a reasonable drive for a lot of racers in a big circle.If theres a track in that area that has a mopar race already i would consider it.I know this would not be easy and you can't please everyone,but with rules kept simple,the aid of the internet and folks like Bob at bigtme willing to help the cause it could be done...Gary

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: LA360] #858899
Oklahoma
silverfish Offline
super stock
silverfish  Offline
super stock

Oklahoma
These "small tire mopar heads up" threads are always very interesting to say the least! I think there are probably more serious mopar players out there than we all realize....its just that they don't speak up much in this forum because of all the haters in here about heads up racing. Plus most of the threads are about 12 second combos and crap like that. There's a pretty interesting dicussion about heads up mopars on the bullet right now also. Quite a few nice mopars on that thread too.

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: silverfish] #858900
11/23/10 12:41 AM
11/23/10 12:41 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Quote:

There's a pretty interesting dicussion about heads up mopars on the bullet right now also. Quite a few nice mopars on that thread too.

it that the stock suspension thread?

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: bigtimeauto] #858901
11/23/10 12:56 AM
11/23/10 12:56 AM
Oklahoma
silverfish Offline
super stock
silverfish  Offline
super stock

Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

There's a pretty interesting dicussion about heads up mopars on the bullet right now also. Quite a few nice mopars on that thread too.

it that the stock suspension thread?

Here's the thread....

Yellow Bullet thread

It originally started as a small block mopar heads up thread but it turned into an all combo mopar heads up thread.

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: silverfish] #858902
11/23/10 01:28 AM
11/23/10 01:28 AM
Alberta Canada
StrokerAspen Offline
top fuel
StrokerAspen  Offline
top fuel

Alberta Canada
I made an attempt to make a head up series here in Southern Alberta, Canada. It was TOUGH. We are in a bracket racing community. PERIOD. haha.

I would say for the first season, we made a bit of success. We tried to run two classes, however we never had enough cars to run both classes.

one class was the 8.5 class. 8.5" x 26" tall tire or a 235/60R15. (quite similar to 8.5 outlaw)

The other class was the 10.5 class. 10.5 non "W" X 30" tall max. (basically cars you would see in TT5)

Our home town is Lethbridge. The closest track we can run at is Medicine Hat, which is a 2 hour tow. In lethbridge, we have some fast street cars, that usually settle things out on a cold dark county road.

The track guys in Med Hat always wondered why Lethbridge guys only came out once or twice a year to the track. Plain and simple, most guys around Lethbridge just want to heads up race! Running this series this year brought out more cars to the track, and less "late night street action". It seems the Med Hat bracket guys seen our heads up series as a failure, however I was happy with how it worked out. We had anywhere from 8-22 cars I believe. I went out in the first round due to a broke throttle cable on the starting line the one time I did make it out with the car, but it was some of the most enjoyable racing for me.

The heads up movement still has yet to hit Western Canada hard I would say. Or maybe it is just our area, but it is coming around. Not sure what we will do this up coming year, I think it may go the way of index racing to get more involvement from the local racers.

Here is a little video of some of the people that came out to support the heads up effort!

http://www.youtube.com/user/StrokerAspen#p/u/14/-bqRULFmQug

Re: Is heads up racing dead in the mopar world? [Re: StrokerAspen] #858903
11/23/10 11:21 AM
11/23/10 11:21 AM
mi usa
O
old yeller Offline OP
super stock
old yeller  Offline OP
super stock
O

mi usa