11/21/10 11:26 PM
11/21/10 11:26 PM
TN Hoosier
J
jb500 Offline
jb500  Offline
J

TN Hoosier
I think you would have better luck if you were to put the fittings in a vice and orient them horizontally. Then use two hands and your body weight to push the hose onto the barbs. You can clamp the tube portion of the fitting or the hex to get a good bite in the vise.

6313712-IMG_1290.JPG (303 downloads)
Re: Tips on assembling socketless hose? [Re: jb500] #858457
11/21/10 11:56 PM
11/21/10 11:56 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Quote:

Quote:

The water I used was just from the tap on the hottest setting. If you are having trouble perhaps try some WD40 or some other cheap lubricant. It does take lots of grunt on my part but they always go together. The only reason I did not use oil is because it is messy and slippery. I'd imagine that works just fine.

Slippery....that is the reason gear oil works just fine.

Heat, no heat, hot water, no water....whatever works for you is fine. Just saying that working in the hyd hose and fitting world since 99 and not once during mfg training or real world experience has a heat gun or hot water been advised or used for socketless(push-on fittings). We always had the correct tools (pushers and mandrels)to do the job and maybe that is where the differnece lays here.

The correct tools would be the way to go for certain. I think the main reason I tried the hot water was when we were working in a unheated area during the winter (~40 ambient temp prior to firing the heater system.) If I were to do more work of this sort I'd invest in the proper tools but for the five or six hoses I do a year it's not economical.

Thank you for your advice! It's always good to hear tips from a pro.

Re: Tips on assembling socketless hose? [Re: CHAPPER] #858458
11/22/10 06:31 PM
11/22/10 06:31 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

warm the hose up a little bit with a heat gun.

and I just spit on them for lube. lol

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Tips on assembling socketless hose? [Re: Jeremiah] #858459
11/23/10 12:47 AM
11/23/10 12:47 AM
TN Hoosier
J
jb500 Offline
jb500  Offline
J

TN Hoosier
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The water I used was just from the tap on the hottest setting. If you are having trouble perhaps try some WD40 or some other cheap lubricant. It does take lots of grunt on my part but they always go together. The only reason I did not use oil is because it is messy and slippery. I'd imagine that works just fine.

Slippery....that is the reason gear oil works just fine.

Heat, no heat, hot water, no water....whatever works for you is fine. Just saying that working in the hyd hose and fitting world since 99 and not once during mfg training or real world experience has a heat gun or hot water been advised or used for socketless(push-on fittings). We always had the correct tools (pushers and mandrels)to do the job and maybe that is where the differnece lays here.

The correct tools would be the way to go for certain. I think the main reason I tried the hot water was when we were working in a unheated area during the winter (~40 ambient temp prior to firing the heater system.) If I were to do more work of this sort I'd invest in the proper tools but for the five or six hoses I do a year it's not economical.

Thank you for your advice! It's always good to hear tips from a pro.

Thanks for the pat on the back. Pro...not so much, hack....maybe.

For what it is worth...I started out with Gates LOL-6 for a fuel line in 06 and that junk is now in the trash can. Got hard and brittle. Don't know if it was from the current gas chemistry or what, but I went to PTFE hose and will never have to worry about it again.

If anyone would like to make the change or needs a little advice....pm me and I will be glad to help.

I also posted a pic of what I put together for my carb feed line using industrial tube fittings.

6315563-carb3.JPG (72 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2