11/16/10 08:34 PM
11/16/10 08:34 PM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline OP
super stock
kilroy  Offline OP
super stock

Iowa State fan
'39 dodge truck flathead 6 cylinder, stock.

Put pertronix ignition to to replace point. what should intial timing be?
Any real trick to getting it timed?
Tricks and tips appreciated as this is my 1st flatty.

Thanks.

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: Flathead 6 timing [Re: kilroy] #855538
11/16/10 09:30 PM
11/16/10 09:30 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
This is from P15-D24, you should spend some time there!
http://www.merc583.addr.com/mopar/framesets/techtipframeset.html

Static Ignition Timing
The classic Catch-22. Your trying to get your flathead started. The engine is not running so you can't check the timing with a timing light. However you suspect the reason the engine won’t start is because the timing is set incorrectly. The solution is easy, static time the ignition.

You need a cheap neon indicator, the kind you use to check your household wall outlet. First turn the engine over by hand until the timing marks line up at top dead center (TDC). Pull the distributor cap and verify the rotor is pointing at the cylinder #1 plug tower on the distributor cap. Usually the rotor is pointing around 7:00 o’clock. If not, it means cylinder #6 is in firing position and you need to turn the engine one full revolution. One way to be sure of the firing position is to pull the front valve cover off and watch the lifters. If cylinder #1 is TDC, both valves will be closed. As you continue to turn the engine manually, the exhaust valve will open. Once TDC is set, pull the plug wire off plug #1 and hook up one lead of the neon tester to the plug connector. Connect the other neon lead to a solid ground, such as the coil bracket. I use short jumper wires with alligator clips to secure the connections.

Reinstall the distributor cap, and loosen the locking bolt on the distributor so it will rotate. Turn on the ignition. Rotate the distributor fully clockwise until you hit the stop. Then slow turn counter-clockwise until you see the neon tester flash. When the light flashes you are set for TDC. Tighten the distributor locking bolt. The advantage of starting with static timing is neither the vacuum or centrifugal advances are in use. By the way, this procedure is similar to one discussed in the Plymouth Service Manual in the Ignition System section. The service manual setup uses the ignition point circuit instead of the plug wires and a six volt bulb is used instead of a neon test light.

Road Timing
A reader recently shared a story from his grandfather about the red neck method of road timing a flathead. One guy drives in circles in an empty pasture while the other guy is holding on for dear life under the hood with screwdriver in hand. The reader had seen photos of this in a local diner, and indicated you don't really grasp the hilarity of the situation until you see it, complete with several barking dogs in pursuit of the vehicle in question !

Road timing, a common practice for flatheads, need not be a danger to life and limb. The procedure is discussed in the factory Service Manual in the Ignition System section. You "road time" when you advance the ignition timing up to 4 degrees BTDC. Usually this makes the car more responsive. You know you have advanced the timing too far when the engine starts to ping or knock under load (i.e. out on the road). Then you retard the timing a couple degrees. Best news is you don’t need a helper holding onto the hood !

Re: Flathead 6 timing [Re: RodStRace] #855539
11/17/10 12:42 AM
11/17/10 12:42 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Somewhere I have an FSM for my old 38 Plymouth and a 40 Chrysler. IIRC, you can set the timing with a pre marked brass rod. Essentially, there is a pipe plug you pull and then use the rod to measure the depth of the #1 piston from TDC, you set the points to just start to open and this sets the timing.

Mind you it's been about 10 years since I last read it, so YMMV. If I can find the manual I'll see if I can repost it here.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.