11/12/10 11:11 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:

I've found that if you pull the straps really tight before you ratchet you don't get enough strap rolled around the ratchet center bar they will back off easily, better to have a roll of strap on the roller, they hold better, mine used to loosen and I finally figured out I just wasn't getting enough strap rapped around the roller, think it was causing the strap to slip just a little.

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: The Shadow] #848495
11/13/10 12:27 AM
11/13/10 12:27 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IMO Never cross your straps, keep em on each corner.

That way if one strap breaks the other one isn't trying to pull your car off the trailer.

If you don't cross at least one pair of straps, the car can move side-to-side while strapped down. Yes, I have seen it happen, enough to move the vinyl floor tiles out of position.

Scott

It's the law here to have your straps crossed when towing
I would imagine some states would also have the same laws

I'd like you to post where that law is written.

Being in the transport business since 1984 and owning 14 hazmat transport trucks and being very familiar with trucking, I've never heard of that. How come I've never been stopped in the 30 or so states that I've been in because my straps aren't crossed? Ain't like they don't notice me...

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: Challenger 1] #848496
11/13/10 01:16 AM
11/13/10 01:16 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That way if one strap breaks the other one isn't trying to pull your car off the trailer.

If you don't cross at least one pair of straps, the car can move side-to-side while strapped down. Yes, I have seen it happen, enough to move the vinyl floor tiles out of position.

Scott

Being in the transport business since 1984 and owning 14 hazmat transport trucks and being very familiar with trucking, I've never heard of that. How come I've never been stopped in the 30 or so states that I've been in because my straps aren't crossed? Ain't like they don't notice me...

Must not be in Louisiana, I've seen guy's towing their car held down with close line But also have seen a number of guy's in Michigan using a single 1" strap front and back and one guy had his 55 gal. fuel drum just setting on the front of the trailer going down the road.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: 'splain to me why [Re: rowin4] #848497
11/13/10 01:28 AM
11/13/10 01:28 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

and one guy had his 55 gal. fuel drum just setting on the front of the trailer going down the road.

lol got do what you gotta do and hope no one says anything, I guess.

Found a picture of my straps after 5000 miles and about 8 unloadings, looks like I'm getting a good wrap on em. Customed made for my car, no extra straps to tie up.

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: Challenger 1] #848498
11/13/10 01:57 AM
11/13/10 01:57 AM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
When I tow the Tucker Snocat into California their laws require the rear straps to be crossed. The reason for this is to keep the equipment from falling off if it gets bounced around on the trailer deck. To make sure it would not get pulled off in case of one strap failing I welded hand crank winches back on at better angles. I think the best way to get the car to not move around is to put something between the equipment and the trailer decking. If the load is strapped and cannot move it sill stay static. Or no?

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: Jeremiah] #848499
11/13/10 09:23 AM
11/13/10 09:23 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Right now Tulsa is a mess of construction and HORRIBLE roads in some parts of town. When I was dragging my car around town a few weeks ago I found it would move off to the passenger side until the tire set against the trailer rail. To resolve this I had to cross the rear straps.

When I went to the track last weekend I chained it down and it stayed put, but I didn't go through the bad construction areas.

since we are posting pictures......

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: 'splain to me why [Re: Challenger 1] #848500
11/13/10 09:58 AM
11/13/10 09:58 AM
Duloc
T
The Shadow Offline
top fuel
The Shadow  Offline
top fuel
T

Duloc
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Here is some good reading
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm
& sect;393.128 What are the rules for securing automobiles, light trucks and vans?
Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.

1. Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent
lateral,
forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
"Lateral" cant be controlled by straight forward strapping.
Just because you haven't been ticketed doesn't mean they won't
If they want to get sticky they will give you a ticket. (at least around here)
Also make sure your tongue chains are crossed

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: The Shadow] #848501
11/13/10 11:21 AM
11/13/10 11:21 AM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
We tow a 3200lb mud racer on a tall goose neck flat bed... having rather large tires 38 in+, I found that a combo of chains up front and crossed straps in the rear work well... always remember to inflate tires to a stiff side wall pressure to cut down on axle movement... I use the straps to pull weight on the chains in neutral then put it in park.... Had problems once in 7 years when we broke a rear tire bead wile racing and the tire went flat on the trip home slacking the straps

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: The Shadow] #848502
11/13/10 11:27 AM
11/13/10 11:27 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Here is some good reading
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm
& sect;393.128 What are the rules for securing automobiles, light trucks and vans?
Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.

1. Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent
lateral,
forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
"Lateral" cant be controlled by straight forward strapping.
Just because you haven't been ticketed doesn't mean they won't
If they want to get sticky they will give you a ticket. (at least around here)
Also make sure your tongue chains are crossed

Hey good reading and good info, learn something everyday. Thanks

Re: 'splain to me why [Re: Challenger 1] #848503
11/13/10 06:40 PM
11/13/10 06:40 PM
Duloc
T
The Shadow Offline
top fuel
The Shadow  Offline
top fuel
T