07/03/08 10:36 AM
07/03/08 10:36 AM
Sacramento, Ca
Darius Offline OP
master
Darius  Offline OP
master

Sacramento, Ca
I am installing a 5.7 in a 1970 GTX with an Alterktion fron suspension. Has anyone else done this and if so which oil pan did you use. How was the fit?
Thanks
Darius

Driving modern convenience in classic beauty
Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: Darius] #83424
07/03/08 12:48 PM
07/03/08 12:48 PM
Portland,OR
R
rjsjea Offline
rjsjea  Offline
R

Portland,OR
Weldtech ...for a nice custom aluminum pan

The rear sump truck pan also works

Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: rjsjea] #83425
07/03/08 02:42 PM
07/03/08 02:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Had an engine customer in Norway say the Milodon 30930 would not work--what the ? I called Alterktion and they had fabbed it with a c body pan in 1 car and just could not understand what the problem was--buyer beware!

Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: ] #83426
07/03/08 04:24 PM
07/03/08 04:24 PM
White Haven, PA
B
Bill_Reilly Offline
Bill_Reilly  Offline
B

White Haven, PA
5.7 pans that work - the weldtech I'm told, haven't seen one though. The Charlie's pan fits, rear sump steel truck pan fits, there's also a rear sump finned alum pan that Bouchillon sells, I think it's a mopar export pan, similar to the SRT Cherokee pans - hangs a little low though.
The Milodon 5.7 pan clears the manual rack, but a power steering system hits by 1/16". Request offset rack bushings to drop it 1/4" to provide 3/16" clearance.

...The milodon 30930 pan on a bigblock clears power racks by an easy 1/2" or better, unless a thick stud girdle drops the pan that distance, in which case 1/4" offset motor mount bushings should be used to bring the engine up a hair. These bushings are also aluminum, which is better to use - if a bigblock is making enough power to need a girdle, it's pushing the limits of using motor mounts anyway. The 30930 pan is built from the 971 pan stamping - 971 and Mil30930 are the same exact pans, although we have nearly all the pans ever made on the shelf here for testing. The original suspension back in '99 was designed around the 971 pan, which is the base pan design for Milodon and Moroso pans because it clears the K frames in all cars, including the trucks and early B bodies. The 971 stamping has since been discontinued, so Moroso now uses the street hemi stamping and moves the sump back further on the pan to clear the early B's. The Milodon pans still have the same 971 shape, so I have to assume they stamp their own. I don't deal directly with Milodon, so I'm not sure. Personally, on bigblocks, I like Milodon's road race oil pan - wider, baffled sump, and only 5.5" deep - loads of ground clearance.

More on the subject though, on a 5.7, I'd prefer to use the steel truck pan, which isn't quite as deep, providing more ground clearance, and it clears the rack by a mile.
Charlie's does a long, drag style pan for us for the bigblocks that I'd like to see for all engines for lots of oil without hitting the ground. Perhaps the WeldTech pans are similar?

Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: Bill_Reilly] #83427
07/03/08 06:30 PM
07/03/08 06:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have never seen one on a car just reporting what my customer said--he had an E body BUT...when I called those guys it was laughable how little they seemed to know--could have had the janitor on the phone for all I know--not aiming to start any trouble here ....

Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: ] #83428
07/03/08 10:54 PM
07/03/08 10:54 PM
Portland,OR
R
rjsjea Offline
rjsjea  Offline
R

Portland,OR
Quote:

I have never seen one on a car just reporting what my customer said--he had an E body BUT...when I called those guys it was laughable how little they seemed to know--could have had the janitor on the phone for all I know--not aiming to start any trouble here ....

Who are you talking about here??

Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: rjsjea] #83429
07/03/08 10:57 PM
07/03/08 10:57 PM
Tampa FL
H
hemibeep Offline
mopar
hemibeep  Offline
mopar
H

Tampa FL
Does anyone know what the part number is for the alum cast rear sump pan? It is the one on Bouchillons website.

Re: 5.7 in Alterktion-which oil pan? [Re: Bill_Reilly] #83430
07/04/08 11:11 AM
07/04/08 11:11 AM
Sacramento, Ca
Darius Offline OP
master
Darius  Offline OP
master

Sacramento, Ca
Quote:

5.7 pans that work - the weldtech I'm told, haven't seen one though. The Charlie's pan fits, rear sump steel truck pan fits, there's also a rear sump finned alum pan that Bouchillon sells, I think it's a mopar export pan, similar to the SRT Cherokee pans - hangs a little low though.
The Milodon 5.7 pan clears the manual rack, but a power steering system hits by 1/16". Request offset rack bushings to drop it 1/4" to provide 3/16" clearance.

...The milodon 30930 pan on a bigblock clears power racks by an easy 1/2" or better, unless a thick stud girdle drops the pan that distance, in which case 1/4" offset motor mount bushings should be used to bring the engine up a hair. These bushings are also aluminum, which is better to use - if a bigblock is making enough power to need a girdle, it's pushing the limits of using motor mounts anyway. The 30930 pan is built from the 971 pan stamping - 971 and Mil30930 are the same exact pans, although we have nearly all the pans ever made on the shelf here for testing. The original suspension back in '99 was designed around the 971 pan, which is the base pan design for Milodon and Moroso pans because it clears the K frames in all cars, including the trucks and early B bodies. The 971 stamping has since been discontinued, so Moroso now uses the street hemi stamping and moves the sump back further on the pan to clear the early B's. The Milodon pans still have the same 971 shape, so I have to assume they stamp their own. I don't deal directly with Milodon, so I'm not sure. Personally, on bigblocks, I like Milodon's road race oil pan - wider, baffled sump, and only 5.5" deep - loads of ground clearance.

More on the subject though, on a 5.7, I'd prefer to use the steel truck pan, which isn't quite as deep, providing more ground clearance, and it clears the rack by a mile.
Charlie's does a long, drag style pan for us for the bigblocks that I'd like to see for all engines for lots of oil without hitting the ground. Perhaps the WeldTech pans are similar?

Thank You Bill
I will post the results when we make the decision on which one to use.
D

Driving modern convenience in classic beauty