09/21/10 11:18 AM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Wow...

Do not use a grinder and do not sand blast the car at 140 PSI !!!! Even experienced blasters have warped panels...

Some guys swear by dipping and others have seen issues... I would only dip a car if they wash the car very very thouroughly and have e-coat on site... there's nobody near me who does it properly so it isn't even a consideration for our cars...

I don't reccomend soda unles you plan to completely wash the car with a good power washer and a scotchbrite and dish soap afterwards as I've seen many soda blasted cars where the paint simply flakes off after a year or two from not being cleaned properly afterwards...

When we do our cars we sandblast all of the under body, edges, nooks and crannies, frames etc... everything that is solid only, no large unsupported panels. Then we either strip the rest with aircraft stripper and a razor and/or a DA sander with no more than a 120 grit disc... you can use an 80 to get through tough spots but don't brake all the way through to the metal with those coarse grits. This process is extremely easy when all you have left to do are the big flat surfaces..

I've been told plastic media is good and won't warp the larger panels but I haven't used it yet simply becuase I recycle my sand/glass grit over and over again and don't want get it mixed in with that media... attached is a picture from the old shop, the way we used to do it... a $300 blaster and a tarp is all you need if you have a good compressor and a little bit of property...

Last edited by smac77; 09/21/10 11:41 AM.

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Best and Safest Way to Remove Paint for Resto [Re: RestoreCuda] #807906
09/21/10 01:08 PM
09/21/10 01:08 PM
Texas
Texican Offline
mopar
Texican  Offline
mopar

Texas
Media blast is the best - period...
Second to that (from my repeated experience) is the following: Chemical strip.

Buy the following items from your local auto parts store...lowes...home depot:

1. A few cans of aircraft stripper
2. (Thick) Rubber Gloves
3. Respirator - or industrial breathing mask
4. Safety glasses
5. Several CHEAP paint brushes
6. Several cans of high quality self-etching priner.
7. Cheap plastic trash can
8. a few CHEAP metal putty knives for scraping of different widths.

--->
Paint/Apply the aircraft stripper on your car (in one direction as the instruction say) and let it work for several minutes....after a while the paint will start to lift and bubble.

Once it has lifted all it's going to (10-15 minutes) scrape the old paint into the cheap plastic trash can.

Only remove the paint that you will have time to througoughly CLEAN with WATER...DRY...and prime before going into the house.

I personally like to work an area about the size of a hood....or fender and door...etc..

Once the paint has been removed (or most of it), I take a water hose and wash and rinse very very good with soap and water. Then I dry it with a clean towel (after its dry, I wait a few minutes) then applu the (SEM brand self-etching primer) very thick. Any metal that you miss will be rusted in the morning.

You just really need to make sure you wash the metal really good before priming.

If you take your time and just work a few square feet each day (30 minutes at a time) you will have the whole car done in a few days.

NOTE: Be sure to remove any waterproof watch you are wearing before working around the aircraft stripper...I have ruined (2) nice water proof watches doing this. The TOXIC vapors coming from the Aircraft Stripper somehow destroys the little rubber seals in my watch that make it waterproof.
CRAP ! I didnt notice they were damaged until they starting fogging up when I was in the shower, and I didn't really know what caused it until the 2nd one was ruined...

I still prefer blasting, but it also has it's drawbacks.

Good luck

Re: Best and Safest Way to Remove Paint for Resto [Re: Texican] #807907
09/21/10 09:50 PM
09/21/10 09:50 PM
SE Michigan
TS3303 Offline
top fuel
TS3303  Offline
top fuel

SE Michigan
not to hijack the original question but what is the next step after blasting? Vacuum and blow off any remaining media? Metal prep with zinc phosphate solution? For floors and under carriage would POR 15 be a suitable coating before paint (not a concourse restoration)?

Re: Best and Safest Way to Remove Paint for Resto [Re: HEMICUDA] #807908
09/21/10 10:34 PM
09/21/10 10:34 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

Best way. Chemical dunk then e coat dunk. Very expansive though. Next best. Chemical by hand. Then very little blasting on needed areas, hard to reach areas and corrosion. Next for me is soda. While plastic does a good job it will be falling out of the body for years. You can not get it all out of the blind spots. At least plastic does not absorb moisture in tight places like sand does.

I agree.

I third that.

Re: Best and Safest Way to Remove Paint for Resto [Re: TS3303] #807909
09/21/10 11:52 PM
09/21/10 11:52 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

not to hijack the original question but what is the next step after blasting? Vacuum and blow off any remaining media? Metal prep with zinc phosphate solution? For floors and under carriage would POR 15 be a suitable coating before paint (not a concourse restoration)?

vacuum and blow it out good, then epoxy prime with something like dp 40 or 90 or a more affordable solution is southern polyeurethanes epoxy... it's a twist on the ppg formula and we've had good results with it... it's more plastic like and actually sands well enough to block out... a couple of coats of that with some polyester to fill any deep pitting and you're basically ready to block and spray your underbody, trunk engine and interior for a nice better than driver finish.... why por 15 it when an extra 5-10 hours and some body colour paint will get you a more show quality appearance under there... or use resto ricks grey dip primer formula for that councourse, or as I like to call it "factory lazy" appearance !

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Best and Safest Way to Remove Paint for Resto [Re: smac77] #807910
09/21/10 11:55 PM
09/21/10 11:55 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

Quote:

vacuum and blow it out good, then epoxy prime with something like dp 40 or 90 or a more affordable solution is southern polyeurethanes epoxy... it's a twist on the ppg formula and we've had good results with it... it's more plastic like and actually sands well enough to block out... a couple of coats of that with some polyester to fill any deep pitting and you're basically ready to block and spray your underbody, trunk engine and interior for a nice better than driver finish.... why por 15 it when an extra 5-10 hours and some body colour paint will get you a more show quality appearance under there... or use resto ricks grey dip primer formula for that councourse, or as I like to call it "factory lazy" appearance !

oh, and don't forget the seam sealer ! do it on top of the epoxy

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2