IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Lots of good advice above. I'll just add that little acticity from the rear bowl when you bench bled suggests it didn't get bled - or there is a problem with the master.

I'd suggest bench bleeding again in the car with some short lengths of hose or line looped right back into the master. You should get a good visible flow of fluid through both lines after the bubbles are out. If you don't, its not bled or the MC is defective.

Then you can choose a method to bleed the rest. Hose in a jar or the two person method works best for me. I do have a vacuum pump and collection bottle but it doesn't always work well for me.

Re: Brake Bleeding Fruistration...any advice? [Re: Dodge Don] #732805
06/24/10 07:26 PM
06/24/10 07:26 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

I just got done doing a disc brake conversion and pulled a full quart of fluid through the system using my Mity-Vac (8 oz. per wheel) and still have air in the system. The Mighty-Vac has failed me the last few times I tried it. I think what is happening is the vacuum is pulling air in around the threads of the loosened bleeder screw.

Went and borrowed a pressure bleeder and all is well.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Brake Bleeding Fruistration...any advice? [Re: John_Kunkel] #732806
06/24/10 08:19 PM
06/24/10 08:19 PM
Conway, SC
T2R9 Offline
master
T2R9  Offline
master

Conway, SC
Quote:

I just got done doing a disc brake conversion and pulled a full quart of fluid through the system using my Mity-Vac (8 oz. per wheel) and still have air in the system. The Mighty-Vac has failed me the last few times I tried it. I think what is happening is the vacuum is pulling air in around the threads of the loosened bleeder screw.

Went and borrowed a pressure bleeder and all is well.

This is the reason I use a dab of silicone on the bleeder threads.

Re: Brake Bleeding Fruistration...any advice? [Re: Dodge Don] #732807
06/24/10 08:59 PM
06/24/10 08:59 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Quote:

Quote:

The vacuum method is just hooking a hand vacuum pump(mighty vac) to the open bleeder and start pumping until no more air comes out with the fluid. Just be sure to keep the master filled. When you stop pumping to refill the master close the bleeder.

Are you saying just connect the hand vacuum pump directly up to the bleeder without a jar in the middle? Wouldn't that ruin the pump when the fluid comes out?

How about this..would this be right...

- Fill MC and leave cap off
- Hook up vacuum pump hose to jar cap
- Hook up short hose bottom of jar cap into a couple of inches of fluid
- Hook up other hose from jar cap to bleeder
- open bleeder and start pumping until no more bubbles in fluid in jar and hose to bleeder is full of fluid
- close bleeder and move on to next wheel

Is that right?

Go to the parts store and look at a mighty vac and you will see how it works. It has a jar of it's own. You are making a much bigger job out of this then necessary. It's a simple procedure.

Re: Brake Bleeding Fruistration...any advice? [Re: stumpy] #732808
06/24/10 09:44 PM
06/24/10 09:44 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
You need a MC bench bleeding set and a one man brake bleeder.

That is it. The vac is a luxery for a guy doing maybe a brake job a year.

I've been bleeding brakes w/ the little bottle rig for years. No problems at all. No helper is needed but it does make things go faster.

I want my fair share
Re: Brake Bleeding Fruistration...any advice? [Re: Dodge Don] #732809
06/25/10 06:58 AM
06/25/10 06:58 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
I just went through bleeding the entire system in my Ram and my Wrangler a couple weeks ago. The only tools I used were a length of clear plastic hose, a box end wrench, and a liter soda bottle. I started with the farthest wheel first, ran the plastic line from the bleeder to the 1 liter soda bottle filled with enough fluid to have the end of the line under fluid at all times. Opened the bleeder, pumped the brakes slowly up and down until there were no more air bubbles in the plastic line, adding fresh fluid to the master cylinder as needed, closed the bleeder and moved to the next wheel. Took about about an hour per vehicle start to finish and I have had no problem with either vehicle's brakes since.

Re: Brake Bleeding Fruistration...any advice? [Re: Dodge Don] #732810
06/25/10 07:41 AM
06/25/10 07:41 AM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
Quote:

Quote:

ok guys, here's what i did with the restoration on my Challenger.

after i attached all the brake lines in my challenger. i filled the MC with brake fluid, yes, i didn't bench bleed it. slowly pumped the pedal about 3 or 4 times, refilled the MC and let it set for 3 days. went back, made sure the level was correct in the MC, then connected one of those hand vacuum pumps to the wheel cylinders starting at the RR, LR, RF, LF, just slowly pulling brake fluid into the reservoir. each time making sure the level was correct in the MC. then i left it for 3 more days. when i went back, the brakes were perfect. i have drums all the way around and it didn't even pull a little bit.

if you can, let it sit. the air bubbles will work themselves out.

On the hand held vacuum pump method (the one you squeeze to create vacuum and draw fluid). I'm assuming you used the jar. I have one but the directions suck.

I put one hose from hand pump to jar lid...one small hose from lid into jar...and one hose from other end of jar cap to bleeder valve. Now what?

Do I add fluid in the jar? Do I leave the bleeder open while I pump...or create vacuum then open bleeder then close and on and on? Is the MC lid on or off when vacuum bleeding?

yea, there are all kinds of different ways of doing it.

i had set it up just as you described. i put a little brake fluid into the jar. and just slowly pumped the vacuum pump. make sure when you stop pumping you close the bleeder screw. and check the level in the MC often. basically that's it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2