07/04/08 03:56 AM
07/04/08 03:56 AM
Florida STAYcation
BeEtLeJuIcE ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
BeEtLeJuIcE !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Eddie should be ashamed of their customer service.

Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: Mopar_Rich] #71536
07/05/08 06:35 PM
07/05/08 06:35 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
I agree with DaytonaTurbo, these real world testing I was talking about really needs to be done by an unbiased source. Either that or each manufacture in the test should have a rep on hand for fairness. Having the results come from anyone who markets or sells a related similar product would call into question it's results. So for many there may be better than the Eddy set up, but from what I understand it may be the easier to install. All these factors need to be taken into acct. For instance, I am not sure if I could build and create a megasquirt system from what I read.
I remember and article from years ago where they drove a car several hundred miles to get fuel injection installed on some car. They noted the gas and oil it drank on the trip there. Went through the install, noted it's responsivenss and change in demeanor, then filled up and recalculated how much less fuel and oil it used on the way home. This is the kind of additional info I would be after. How people felt after the swap. I understand this will be a monumental undertaking, but I think if organized correctly this could take the hobby to a new level. I still really want FI, but I am not a rocket scientist. That's why I rely on my magazine subscriptions to provide me with info & detail about the products I am interested in buying or building.

Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: moparmojo] #71537
07/07/08 01:44 PM
07/07/08 01:44 PM
Escondido, CA
kick_the_reverb Offline
mopar
kick_the_reverb  Offline
mopar

Escondido, CA
Quote:

That's why I rely on my magazine subscriptions to provide me with info & detail about the products I am interested in buying or building.

Unfortunately, most of the info & detail in magazines these days is useless, and your best bet is to do a lot of internet research, and even then take everything with a grain of salt. Most magazines (not all), tend to not really report probelms (down playing them), or not provide thorough enough testing, or not expose customer service issues with the vendors (of course they can't, when the magazine calls the vendor is going to give them great customer service).
Ran

"Hey mister, something's wrong with your car, it idles roughly" - number one comment I got in Israel when daily driving a 70 Barracuda with a lopey cam.

Currently working on - 1966 Dodge A100 van 318/auto
Finally - disc brakes on the front.
In the plans - rear disc brakes, B&M 250 blower
Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: kick_the_reverb] #71538
07/07/08 02:59 PM
07/07/08 02:59 PM
SO. CAL.
70blackfish Offline
master
70blackfish  Offline
master

SO. CAL.
I think they should do a story on testing all the after market efi systems against a tried and true carb. be it a 750cfm or a 1050 dominator. and track testing to.
is it 2500.00 faster? or whatever it costs

Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: 70blackfish] #71539
07/07/08 03:22 PM
07/07/08 03:22 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
You won't really see difference in peak HP from EFI to a carb - IF they're both tuned right. The best A/F mixture for an engine isn't going to change, regardless of how the fuel gets in to the engine. Where I think you'll find an improvement is going to be in low-speed torque and engine response, and a lot of those functions are in spark control.

Where EFI shines is in driveability and emissions control. Those two items will help tame an engine with a big cam and low manifold vacuum, or help milder engines burn cleaner and get better mileage. A sufficiently sophisticated carb that was properly tuned might be able to pull off those same goals, but it would be tough.

The cost difference is tough. For a lot of folks, it won't be worth it, especially on a toy car that doesn't see the road much. However, if you really want to drive your race car on the street, or if you really want to hop in your small block A-body year round, rain or shine, EFI can help get that done. It might also be worth it if you just like tinkering with stuff and getting to know how your engine is really running. That's my excuse.

Clair

Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: Clair_Davis] #71540
07/19/08 10:58 AM
07/19/08 10:58 AM
Arizona
A
anmracing Offline OP
anmracing  Offline OP
A

Arizona
Well, I am planning on driving it a lot. It's not the primary car but it is a car that I plan to drive 2-3 times a week and of course on the weekend.

So I want to be able to jump in and start her up. None of this "pump the carb three times, wait two seconds, sit on the edge of the seat, put your right foot in and take your right foot out. Do the hokie pokie and turn the key real slow, pray you don't flood it" type of starting.......

I'm not working on it as much as I would like but it's comming along. I'm still learning the system. It's running pretty good, I just have to work on the transient fuel issue. It still runs a little lean when cruising.

Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: anmracing] #71541
07/19/08 11:29 AM
07/19/08 11:29 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
anmracing, I'm building a megasquirt efi setup for my sig car because I do daily drive it to work, the grocery store, post office, where ever else in town I need to go. So for me, with all these shorter trips and it's all stop and go driving, I think(hope) the work for EFI will be worth if. But I do have to say ever since I spent a little time tuning the stock choke on my thermoquad a couple years ago, it really does drive great when cold. Even on my tired mid 70's low compression 440, 3 pumps of the throttle, hit the key and it fires after maybe 2 complete revolutions of the motor. Starts faster than any fuel injected car I have ever known. Then let it run on the fast idle for 30 seconds, kick it and go. When the engine is already good and warm, all it takes is a quick blip of the starter, maybe one-half an engine revolution and it fires instantly. For most people with hobby mopars, IMO they would be lucky to have a carb that is as nice and driveable as this. If you're not going to use your mopar for all your daily running around(which I am in the maybe 5% of moparts users who do) I think it would be very very hard to justify the time and expense of an efi system over a well-tuned carb.

Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #71542
07/19/08 03:18 PM
07/19/08 03:18 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
But I do have to say ever since I spent a little time tuning the stock choke on my thermoquad a couple years ago, it really does drive great when cold..........Starts faster than any fuel injected car I have ever known....

To that I add my (short) video: Starting

This was first fire after sitting over night. If you look quick, you'll see the temp gauge is full left on cold.

Proper tune is the key. About 5 yrs ago ( ) I took the time to basically 'blueprint' the TQ I have now. I've run a lot of different TQ's over the years, but, this one has been the best by far. The only time it doesn't start this quick is when its been sitting for a week or more, but, even then, its just a matter of getting gas into the bowls and it starts right up.

I've thought about EFI because of heat issues. I've taken measures to eliminate vapor lock, but, it still gets a little funky once in awhile. If somebody could come up with a truely simple kit that ACTUALLY WORKS across ALL RPM's, is dead nuts reliable, and doesn't require me selling off a kidney to buy, I would probably take the plunge, but everytime a kit comes out, it falls short somewhere.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Edelbrock EFI [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #71543
08/08/08 05:10 PM
08/08/08 05:10 PM
Arizona
A
anmracing Offline OP
anmracing  Offline OP
A

Arizona
I have no problems with carbs... Our '71 LT-1 has a Holley 780 Vac sec and starts everytime. I was exagerating but yeah, two pumps of the throttle and vroom, vroom..... Even when sitting for weeks at a time. I just wanted something a little more reliable.....

We don't drive it as much as the MOPAR. And so far it starts without any help.... I turn the key and viola the car is on... WOW! I've had this car since the mid '80s and have never had it start that fast. Cold or warm..... Other than tweaking it here and there, I am really happy with what I got. Not so much with the customer service but the product itself is great.

Page 2 of 2 1 2