05/05/10 03:52 PM
05/05/10 03:52 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline OP
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline OP
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Is it ok to use the acid etching primer on blasted bare metal? I have never heard this, and dont understand the difference in blasted metal, or ground on metal?

Just asking to clear up my head.

Kasey

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Moparnut426] #689612
05/05/10 04:00 PM
05/05/10 04:00 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Online work
master
hotairballoonpilot  Online Work
master

South Dakota
NO!!!! Acid sits in the pores and then screws up the paint.

corey

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Moparnut426] #689613
05/05/10 04:36 PM
05/05/10 04:36 PM
Western New York
sixpackbee Offline
master
sixpackbee  Offline
master

Western New York
You DA it or hand sand it a bit to get the sand out of the metal that embeds itself there. After that a good cleaning with DA330 other type of wipe solvent then you are good to go.

1959 Bugeye Sprite
1967 Charger Black L code
1967 Coronet R/T Convert Green 440 auto bought from original owner
1968 Charger R/T Bronze 440 4 spd console AM/FM
1969 Super Bee WM21H B5 A40 D21 N96
1969 Barracuda Formula S 340 Convert pilot car
1969 Hemi Road Runner RM23J D32 Omaha orange 4.10 Dana N96 N85
1970 Super Bee WM23N FE5 V1X 3.91 axle package, N96
1970 Road Runner RM21N B3 V1X D13
1971 MG Midget
1971 Road Runner RM23H GW3, A57
1972 Road Runner RM23P FY1, D21
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: sixpackbee] #689614
05/05/10 06:09 PM
05/05/10 06:09 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline OP
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline OP
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
I have never heardthat before.

Learn something new every day...

Kasey

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Moparnut426] #689615
05/05/10 06:51 PM
05/05/10 06:51 PM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
Why etch? You won't gain anything. Always read the tech sheets.

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Moparnut426] #689616
05/05/10 08:55 PM
05/05/10 08:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Is it ok to use the acid etching primer on blasted bare metal? I have never heard this, and dont understand the difference in blasted metal, or ground on metal?

Kasey

wow, Yes it's ok to use etch primer first on bare metal, it's recomended.

First off I don't see any difference between blasted and sanded ground metal. it get's treated the same imo.

I have done lots of sand/media blasting and paint work over the years(25).

As soon as I'm done blasting when I have bare white metal before I even touch it, I paint it. The first coat of paint is etching primer. 1 light coat, it's translucent and provides a chemical advantage for top coats. Then within 1 hour or so the second and third coats are epoxy primer. Then at that point within 24 hours if I can, I apply the top coat without any scuffing or sanding. Like say the bottem of your car or inside the car. Wet on wet is best for best results.

Some people will say epoxy directly on bare blasted metal but using etch primer first is better.

Once your metal is blasted bare, you want to coat it fast and definety don't touch it or pre treat with anything, as it as clean as can be after blasting.

I've done entire cars and trucks with the above procedure and still own some of the trucks that I painted 15 years ago. I know what holds up.
Got lot's of pictures of my work.

My 71 has etch primer all over it.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 05/05/10 09:05 PM.
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Challenger 1] #689617
05/05/10 09:21 PM
05/05/10 09:21 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Kasey

First off I don't see any difference between blasted and sanded ground metal. it get's treated the same imo.

As soon as I'm done blasting when I have bare white metal before I even touch it, I paint it. The first coat of paint is etching primer. 1 light coat, it's translucent and provides a chemical advantage for top coats. Then within 1 hour or so the second and third coats are epoxy primer. Then at that point within 24 hours if I can, I apply the top coat without any scuffing or sanding. Like say the bottem of your car or inside the car. Wet on wet is best for best results.

Some people will say epoxy directly on bare blasted metal but using etch primer first is better.

Once your metal is blasted bare, you want to coat it fast and definety don't touch it or pre treat with anything, as it as clean as can be after blasting.

I've done entire cars and trucks with the above procedure and still own some of the trucks that I painted 15 years ago. I know what holds up.

I agree with every word to the letter .

It's funny when clueless people would give advice on something they have no experience with.

Etching primer is always recommended to be applied before any other primer for ultimate adhesion,after etching primer any primer system can be used,epoxy or 2k primer-surfacer or sealer.As always, read tech sheets before use.

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Challenger 1] #689618
05/05/10 09:23 PM
05/05/10 09:23 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
PPG certified painter here.
it's not recommended to acid etch prime sand blasted metal. because the acid flows into the blasted craters and will bleed into the top coats.

with that said i etch prime sand blasted metal all of the time. just remember not to top coat it with anything for a few days and you will be fine.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Mr T2U] #689619
05/05/10 09:46 PM
05/05/10 09:46 PM
BFE
vancamp Offline
super street
vancamp  Offline
super street

BFE
PPg's tech sheets says not to etch over blasted metal and do not use epoxy over etch primer. the attatchment is a tech sheet on their dpx etch primer

Last edited by vancamp; 05/05/10 09:47 PM.

VanCamp Dent Systems Paintless Dent Repair/ Mopar Restification
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Challenger 1] #689620
05/05/10 09:47 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline OP
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline OP
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again

Kasey

I honestly thought the exact same thing you wrote. what is the difference if there is bead pit versus 80 grit channels? I dont think any really, both gives tooth, thats about it. My cuda project, my demon, the 65HPP d100 we did, and the charger have all been etch/acid primed from bare metal, nothing lifting off yet. I do it the same way a very light translucent coat.

I guess I just didnt go to college for body work so I couldnt say either way, It just didnt make any sence to me.

Kasey

Last edited by moparnut426; 05/05/10 09:48 PM.
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: elitecustombody] #689621
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Elitecustombody

I've rebuilt and maintain tank trucks. Which includes complete paint jobs. I've sprayed gallons of etch, epoxy and old fashsioned enamel with a paint pot, hose and spray gun.

etch primer, epoxy primer and 3 colors of enamel with hardner makes for 3 long days.Many rolls of tape, fine line and masking tape. But all the paint work get's done with no sanding or scuffing which is what adds to the labor bill. Helps to avoid it by recoating within the recoat window.

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Challenger 1] #689622
05/05/10 09:52 PM
05/05/10 09:52 PM
Indiana
MonGoo$e Offline
master
MonGoo$e  Offline
master

Indiana
I think the knowledgeable paint guys need to have treads like these saved in the tech section or something, I recall a year ago I put etch on my Duster after sanding it bare, put a 2k on it, and the majority told me to forget that stuff, sand it off and put epoxy on the bare. After my wondering why the etch even existed in the first place if no one was to use it, I just decided to hold off. I'll be painting car in a month or so and its say this whole time in etch/2k/sealer

This thread helped me. thanks.

My YouTube Channel, "Hoosier Garage"
https://www.youtube.com/HoosierGarage
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: vancamp] #689623
05/05/10 10:01 PM
05/05/10 10:01 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

PPg's tech sheets says not to etch over blasted metal and do not use epoxy over etch primer. the attatchment is a tech sheet on their dpx etch primer

That's not the etch primer paint I use, PPG I thinks it's DX1791 wash primer or something like that or I use Dupont Variprime which is the same thing, a little cheaper.

But your right, that etch primer advises against it, but wrong etch primer for blasted cars.

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: elitecustombody] #689624
05/05/10 10:19 PM
05/05/10 10:19 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kasey

I agree with every word to the letter .

It's funny when clueless people would give advice on something they have no experience with.

Etching primer is always recommended to be applied before any other primer for ultimate adhesion,after etching primer any primer system can be used,epoxy or 2k primer-surfacer or sealer.As always, read tech sheets before use.

...with you guys, I've been painting cars, bikes, trucks, speed boats for over 30 years now,...and I basically tried every manufacturers product or "system" over the decades,...I'm generally a consumer of Dupont products, I do prefere the high end componets,....but the base is always the same, blasted or sanded metal coated immediately with Dupont Vari-Prime, 1 flash coat followed by a good med 2nd coat, allow to dry 1-2 days, followed by a Dupont 2K primer surfacer coat, then blocked, reprimed, Euro-soft putty for small defects/shallow lows,...I generally have all the metal work, with bondo to an extreme minimum done before I apply the Etch primer,....I feel that after etching/2K priming the car should be in just the blocking stage, all major bodywork done prior to etch priming,...If you choose to use the DuPont line, AVOID the Dupont/NASON crap,...pure junk....Dupont Vari-Prime, 2K primer, and a BC/CC in Chroma Premier will result in a show quality finish that will last for years

Mike

5966398-mellon1234.jpg (380 downloads)
Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: Challenger 1] #689625
05/05/10 11:15 PM
05/05/10 11:15 PM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
DPX170 and 171 say not to spray over media blasted metal, and not to topcoat with epoxy. DX1791 is not to be used over media blasted metal, either, but may be topcoated with epoxy. Why would one want to spend the money on quality products, and go against the advisement of the manufacturer? They put the resources into testing their products, but you think you know better? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would think the manufacturer has good reasons for their recommendations, and I don't have the resources or knowledge to be able to disagree with them. Does anyone know why they recommend the opposite of what others here are doing? This is what PPG says about DP40 Epoxy Primer: Film build of 1.2–1.5 mils of DPLF is required or the surface must be treated with Metal Cleaner/Conditioner or coated with DX 1791/1792 [self etch/wash primer]. You can't do both, though. I don't have any recent experience with automotive coatings. Many here have experience, and apparently haven't had problems going against the recommendations of the manufacturers, but without knowing the reasons for their recommendations, and under what conditions you could have success deviating from them, I wouldn't.

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: 375inStroke] #689626
05/06/10 12:04 AM
05/06/10 12:04 AM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
there are other brands besides PPG and DuPont

Re: ETCHING PRIMER ON SAND BLASTED METAL?? [Re: elitecustombody] #689627
05/06/10 02:35 AM
05/06/10 02:35 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Heres another quandry.... All PPG and Sikkens literature state that you MUST use their catalyst and reducer. I am sure that they are trying to keep the money stream flowing in their direction. I am also sure that all other higher line products want you to use their complete line of products as well. My point is: I have mixed brands several times and have yet to have any adverse affects. I dont think that I have been lucky either. I have never used Lacquer, everything has been medium to high quality enamel or urethane. I have mixed small amounts of base coat in with single stage to extend out the mix, and I never had any problems. The paint supply guys I have spoken with play the same tune as the Tech sheets, but they must know that you can use Omni reducer with PPG paint or Nason clear with PPG catalyst... and so on. I use the matching products as recommended but always have stuff left over. I have tested the interspecies mixing on spare fenders, hoods and whole cars without any wrinkling or lifting of the paint. Anyone else?