05/02/10 12:40 PM
05/02/10 12:40 PM
Cochise County Arizona
SPWC Offline OP
master
SPWC  Offline OP
master

Cochise County Arizona
Looking at pulling a Tranny out of a 1980 Truck.

History:

The Truck is a D100 Longbed with a ventilated Slant 6(no good) Owner says the tranny was still good though.

The truck has spent I dont know how many years up completely on its drivers side(yep...picture that) as the owner someday had plans to cut off the bed and frame under the bed to make a trailer out of them. I personally think that would have been pretty dangerous to do that way,with the truck in that position,but to each his own and that a subject for a different day.

So with the truck being up on its side for an unknown amount of time,what could have happened to the tranny?

Would it be safe,now that the truck is back down on all fours, to pull the tranny and use it in one of my vehicles? Or could the truck sitting on its side have done "something" adverse to the tranny to render it useless unless its rebuilt?

Im thinking something may have shifted(no pun intended) due to gravitational strain,and knocked something out of place or out of whack/adjustment.

OR is it a situation where I wont know if the truck sitting on its side did something adverse to the tranny until I reinstall the tranny in my vehicle and try it out?

Re: Used Transmission question [Re: SPWC] #686498
05/02/10 02:12 PM
05/02/10 02:12 PM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
It will be fine won't fit anything but a slant six but all the internals and tail shaft will go on another case.

Re: Used Transmission question [Re: SPWC] #686499
05/02/10 04:34 PM
05/02/10 04:34 PM
D
dulcich Offline
super stock
dulcich  Offline
super stock
D

As a rule of thumb, a tranny out of a sideways car or truck is going to be good, so that's a go. I knew a guy out in the woods that would store all his cars that way; said it took up less space, and he swears he never had a problem with any of the transmissions. Now, upside down in a river or wash, I'd say the rule of thumb is keep looking.
-dulcich