Washington Twp., Southern NJ
F
Fastfrankie Offline OP
top fuel
Fastfrankie  Offline OP
top fuel
F

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser that was involved in an accident. When it was towed to the bodyshop after the accident, they dismantled the front of the car (fenders, grille, bumper cover, front lights, horns, etc) and determined it was totalled.

I bought the car back from my insurance company for $400 since it was like new with only 48,000 miles.

I bought a junk 2001 PT for the front clip and swapped all the parts onto mine.

I noticed that the 2001 parts car had a plastic vacuum box/resevoir mounted with two screws on the passenger side frame next to the horns.

I am not sure if my 2002 had a vacuum box since I didn't take my PT apart - the bodyshop threw away just about all the plastic items and sheetmetal that they removed.

Upon looking in my 2002 PT service manual, it shows that the 2002 PT does have a vacuum box/resevoir.

However, I noticed on my 2002 PT that where the vacuum box mounts to my frame rail, the two holes in the frame for the screws that mount the plastic resevoir didn't look like a screw/bolt ever tapped the two holes.

Here's the problem - I cannot locate a vacuum hose/plastic tube that connects to the vacuum box.

I looked all over the passenger side of my PT to try to locate a vacuum source for that resevoir and cannot find one. I had it up on my lift for a half hour searching.

The PT runs good and I do not hear any vacuum leaks when it runs nor does it appear that any power items are lacking due to loss of vacuum.

Any ideas? The manual says that the source goes to the brake booster. When I follow that it goes to the upper intake manifold and there is another small plastic tube that goes into the firewall below and to the side of the brake booster.

I'm stumped...

Re: 02 PT Cruiser Vacuum Resevoir - Questions/Techs [Re: Fastfrankie] #685313
05/01/10 01:21 PM
05/01/10 01:21 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
If everything works then you probably didn't have the vacuum can to begin with. These guys are the masters when it comes to PTs. www.ptcrew.com You could ask there.

Re: 02 PT Cruiser Vacuum Resevoir - Questions/Techs [Re: stumpy] #685314
05/01/10 05:53 PM
05/01/10 05:53 PM
F
Fastfrankie Offline OP
top fuel
Fastfrankie  Offline OP
top fuel
F

I think the vacuum resevior comes only with PT's that have cruise control.

My PT didn't have cruise but the parts PT Cruiser had it.

I think that is why mine may not have come with the resevoir!