R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

the eagle cast cranks balance very easily because they leave out critical weight in important places

alright, it's going into a 406 build for a daily driver torque eng in a 65 dart as I just ain't gettin enough respect w the stock 318. I'll show em . thanks Dave for the heads up I will keep it mild (sort of) .

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Magnum heads on 360 LA [Re: HotRodDave] #682196
05/01/10 08:39 PM
05/01/10 08:39 PM
New Mexico
D
dmerc Offline
super stock
dmerc  Offline
super stock
D

New Mexico
Quote:

the eagle cast cranks balance very easily because they leave out critical weight in important places on the rod journal side of the crank, particularly the front journal overlap area, seen quite a few break in extremely mild engines

I noticed this very thing when I had my machinist balanced my crank. He didn't seem concerned though... But they are scary thin in spots. Hope mine doesnt grenade soon So far so good though I wonder what happens when a crank breaks like that. Maybe it's not as bad as a thrown rod

Re: Magnum heads on 360 LA [Re: dmerc] #682197
05/01/10 10:26 PM
05/01/10 10:26 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Quote:

the eagle cast cranks balance very easily because they leave out critical weight in important places on the rod journal side of the crank, particularly the front journal overlap area, seen quite a few break in extremely mild engines

I noticed this very thing when I had my machinist balanced my crank. He didn't seem concerned though... But they are scary thin in spots. Hope mine doesnt grenade soon So far so good though I wonder what happens when a crank breaks like that. Maybe it's not as bad as a thrown rod

Just depends on the RPM it is running when it breaks and if you got the pedal to the medal or letting off and how fast you shut it off, same goes for rod break or crank break

FWIW the last time I saw one of those cranks break it was in a 408 with untouched magnum heads 21cc dished pistons stock cam and manifolds and all, he just wanted more tq but the eagle cast crank broke right there by the front at low speed, a few bent valves a new SCAT cast crank and he tossed the eagle rods in favor of SCATs this time and all is good. His motor could not have made more than 400 hp MAX and was not even doing that when it broke. On top of the thin spot common to them all, it also had a bubble in the casting that I suppose weakened it but no way of knowing it was there before hand.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Page 2 of 2 1 2