M
mr_340 Offline
master
mr_340  Offline
master
M

DFW
Quote:

5th ave, do the springs in that kit fit an old style electronic dist? the crane kit in the chart I posted above is not available anymore.

I guess there are at least two of us with the old Mopar distributors. I bought one of the new timing kits from MP, but they are designed for the new designs (Mallory). I'm going to get one of the new distributors for the Pure Stock 340 I'm building. I like the advance curves they have in the kit. Anyone found a good setup for a strip SB?

Floyd Lippencott IV
Re: Recurving M.P. Electronic Ignition. [Re: mr_340] #679778
05/01/10 03:07 PM
05/01/10 03:07 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I guess there are at least two of us with the old Mopar distributors. I bought one of the new timing kits from MP, but they are designed for the new designs (Mallory).

Mr_340 are those springs not even close to the dimentions of the oe light spring? (As we know the thick one w the long loop gets tossed)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Recurving M.P. Electronic Ignition. [Re: RapidRobert] #679779
05/02/10 01:41 AM
05/02/10 01:41 AM
DFW
M
mr_340 Offline
master
mr_340  Offline
master
M

DFW
Quote:

Mr_340 are those springs not even close to the dimentions of the oe light spring? (As we know the thick one w the long loop gets tossed)

I didn't have much luck replacing the heavy spring in the old distributors. I tried that once in my Dart, replacing the heavy spring (with the long loop) with a light DC spring. I found it slowed down the advance since you have two springs (one OEM light spring (blue) and the light DC spring) acting against the couterweights. It was real doggy when I tried it. It seemed like the long loop allowed the advance weights to work on one spring early and then catch at higher RPM for a slow curve up top. This was in a mild 340 and 2.93 gears. My 340 Cuda had two light DC springs in the old Prestolite distributor and worked fine until I put the TQ on it in place of the AVS. Then it would mess with the idle as the advance was coming in and keeping the idle RPM up. My Cuda has 3.91 gears. I put a 340 electronic distributor in it with an MSD-6A and ran it like that for many years. For Pure Stock, I want to go with more initial advance and less mechanical advance. I have some DC race distributors and an MSD distributor (if legal for PS) to try on it. I stopped messing with the distributors 20 years ago. It looks like it's time to start again. I haven't even taken either car to the track in 10 years. They became garage queens. I still got a shed full of 340 engines that I bought for a Stocker that I sold many years ago. Time to drag them out and beat on them.

Floyd Lippencott IV
Re: Recurving M.P. Electronic Ignition. [Re: RapidRobert] #679780
05/03/10 04:19 AM
05/03/10 04:19 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Quote:

Quote:

I bought the Mallory kit a couple years ago for mine.

5th ave, do the springs in that kit fit an old style electronic dist? the crane kit in the chart I posted above is not available anymore.

I don't know. I opened up the package when I got it to see everything in it and that's as far as I went. If you want I can take a picture of what's in it. I'll see if I have have an older distributor apart to compare them with.

Re: Recurving M.P. Electronic Ignition. [Re: 5thAve] #679781
05/03/10 04:26 AM
05/03/10 04:26 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

If you want I can take a picture of what's in it. I'll see if I have have an older distributor apart to compare them with.

If you could wo alot of inconvenience or if the overall length and the size of the loops are pretty much identical to the OE light spring that would be enough and I'm assuming thicker wire for different rates.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Recurving M.P. Electronic Ignition. [Re: RapidRobert] #679782
05/03/10 08:22 AM
05/03/10 08:22 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Chrysler built distributors use different springs than the mallory built distributors.
Older p-part light springs are going to be for the chrysler built distributors. The only spring kits I am aware of DC/MP selling for those distributors were very very light springs.

Tach drive distributors were sold with a very light primary spring and a very heavy long loop spring.
Mallory YH kit works with Mallory built p-part distributors.
However the Mopar Performance kit comes with more springs and a more complete chart of spring rates.

At the moment I can't find the digital pics I took of the Crane and Chrysler springs.
Below is a pic of the springs for the YH style distributors. And this is a link
to some more pics of the two styles of MP-DC vacuum advance distributors.

Rates for the Chrysler style internals based on my measurements and calcs;
Primary Springs
Crane Blue: 24 lbs/in, .6 " loop to loop
Crane Silver: 13 lbs/in, .6 "
Crane Yellow: 11 lbs/in, .58"
A-1 brand Rebuild: 8 lbs/in, .72"
MP Vac Dist: 7.2 lbs/in, .72"
Tach Drive: 1.26 lbs/in, .72"
P 2932675: 0.68 lbs/in, .7"

So if you use two springs, double the rate. If you shorten the slots, the same spring will supply less force unless you change the over length by bending the loops. This is why a lower rate spring does not always quicken the advance in the rpm range you're looking for.

Secondary Springs
A-1 brand Rebuild: 45.8 lbs/in, .92"
MP Vac Dist: 113 lbs/in, 1.0"
Tach Drive: 174 lbs/in, 1.09"

As best I can tell, the concept behind the tach drive arrangment was for easy starting and stable advance starting from 800 or 1200 rpm up depending on which primary spring was used.

Just for comparison, the YH type primary springs range from .55 to .68" and have rates from 1.7 to 7.6 lbs/in (or 13 #/in depending on whose numbers you go by). So it looks like they might work on the chrysler made distributors with maybe a little tweaking of the loops. But the loops of the YH secondary springs are probably too narrow to work on the chrysler made distributors.

Last edited by Mattax; 05/03/10 09:41 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2