Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
IMO the term "Bottle Haters" is Waaay to strong!

Where does that come from? I think your the second or third person to use it.

If anything this unfortunate incident should just raise or inspire more "Bottle Awareness" and its potential dangers and or safty issues.

For those who never knew or even realized it.

I think we can and should leave the phrase Bottle haters out of it.

Further I feel we should leave that whole discussion/debate

out of "Mike Walkers" unfortunate accident thread.

Save it for another mike

Last edited by Sport440; 04/27/10 10:14 PM.
Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: Sport440] #679056
04/27/10 11:39 PM
04/27/10 11:39 PM
Oak Harbor, WA
W
Wicked49670dart Offline
super stock
Wicked49670dart  Offline
super stock
W

Oak Harbor, WA
I for one will have much more respect for my Nitrous bottle, Argon/co2 and cutting torch bottles in the future. Sorry Mike Walker had too lose his life for us to be more careful in handling these bottles..GodSpeed to Mike Walker....Matt

Last edited by Wicked49670dart; 04/28/10 12:08 AM.

70 Dart 3400 496 New Best 6.15@110.37 660ft, 9.76@135 with a 1.34 60ft
Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: Wicked49670dart] #679057
04/27/10 11:59 PM
04/27/10 11:59 PM
Missouri
G
galen Offline
super stock
galen  Offline
super stock
G

Missouri
Mike Walker did a lot for racing, He was a sponser for our local Vamp Racing series in the kansas city area which was set up to get racing off the streets. This has grown into the most popular series in our area. I am set up to run in this series for the first time this year. I was told he would come out for test and tune and park in the grass so as not to take a local racers spot. I never met the man but know people who have and he will be missed. Galen

Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: Quicktree] #679058
04/28/10 12:06 AM
04/28/10 12:06 AM
Long Beach, CA
Mike Swann Offline
super stock
Mike Swann  Offline
super stock

Long Beach, CA
To get back on track, even if the valve is not the culprit, I have felt that the ball valves were dangerous since the day I saw them on a bottle.

In all reality, a standard NOS super pro valve will support a set of 42's and that can tear the diff out of a car in the tuneup is right.

8.30's @3400 lbs
Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: Mike Swann] #679059
04/28/10 07:19 AM
04/28/10 07:19 AM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
ask yourself this question...have you ever seen a ball valve used on any other pressurized cylinder. i doubt that would meet any safety standards. i don't care to get into the heated nitrous debate but imho using a ball valve on a high pressure cylinder is not acceptable regardless of what it contains.

Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: jamesc] #679060
04/28/10 08:41 AM
04/28/10 08:41 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Speaking as a mod this time....I let this run (maybe against better judgement) because we're dealing with the death of a fellow racer, and the topic of safety came up which I think goes hand in hand with being a responsible, professional racer. I don't mind a little heat in he debate but 'Da rulz" say no personal attacks. I had hoped we could keep the discussion friendly and on topic (Mike) but we're gone off in a ditch here...

This is the mods' 'warning shot across the bow' to keep the personal out of the thread.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: Leon441] #679061
04/28/10 09:32 AM
04/28/10 09:32 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

If you don't have anything productive to say just stay the hell out of this thread.

I know what you mean, Monte, talking about a kid carrying a C02 bottle but they are made where the valve is protected. But, I get your point and don't dispute it.

I know some freinds who saw a stud from a Top Fuel Car go through a fans head in the stands. Drag Racing and all motorsports have their danger. Get hit in the head with a baseball, this too can be deadly but people take their kids to games all the time.

When I ran nitrous I hated the way some people let their kids roam through my trailer full of fuel and nitrous. Some parents toating cigarettes around racing fuel. I kept a cap on my bottles just because I was too cheap to risk loosing precious nitrous and found they also protect the threads. I was offered some of those valves with the 1/4 turn ball valve and thought man that might be cool. Then saw one turn over and tip the valve blowing a charcoal grill over and making some excitement and decided it wasn't for me.

When you come to a dragstrip you are allowed a priviledge of entering the pits. Like all priviledges they require responsibilities. You bottle haters what happens when you are in the pits pedal tuning your junk. Wahhh Wahhh Wahhhhhhhhhhh and a belt, bolt, pully, harmonic balancer or valve gear comes flying into your neighbors pit. I have seen all of this happen. Maybe all those guys who can't tune their junk at home should be pitted together. Part of being a parent is teaching your kids and wives how to be safe at the dragstrip.

I have a freind that used to insist on bringing his wife and little seven year old girl to the starting line and would get pissed if I didn't get them arm bands. You just can't help stupid. No matter how many mufflers we saw get thrown by a spinning tire and almost hurt someone or the many chunks of rubber and rocks they kept doing it.

Here it is Simpleton. A nitrous bottle in the pit next to you is the least of your worries at a Drag Strip. This like any of the million things that can take humans out of this world happened. Like Monte said FREAK ACCIDENT. Where there some added risk why sure there are in any pit next to any car. DEAL WITH IT OR STAY HOME IN YOUR BOX.

LEON

Was that response directed at me?

Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: BobR] #679062
04/28/10 03:51 PM
04/28/10 03:51 PM
Long Beach, CA
Mike Swann Offline
super stock
Mike Swann  Offline
super stock

Long Beach, CA
Quote:

Quote:

If you don't have anything productive to say just stay the hell out of this thread.

I know what you mean, Monte, talking about a kid carrying a C02 bottle but they are made where the valve is protected. But, I get your point and don't dispute it.

I know some freinds who saw a stud from a Top Fuel Car go through a fans head in the stands. Drag Racing and all motorsports have their danger. Get hit in the head with a baseball, this too can be deadly but people take their kids to games all the time.

When I ran nitrous I hated the way some people let their kids roam through my trailer full of fuel and nitrous. Some parents toating cigarettes around racing fuel. I kept a cap on my bottles just because I was too cheap to risk loosing precious nitrous and found they also protect the threads. I was offered some of those valves with the 1/4 turn ball valve and thought man that might be cool. Then saw one turn over and tip the valve blowing a charcoal grill over and making some excitement and decided it wasn't for me.

When you come to a dragstrip you are allowed a priviledge of entering the pits. Like all priviledges they require responsibilities. You bottle haters what happens when you are in the pits pedal tuning your junk. Wahhh Wahhh Wahhhhhhhhhhh and a belt, bolt, pully, harmonic balancer or valve gear comes flying into your neighbors pit. I have seen all of this happen. Maybe all those guys who can't tune their junk at home should be pitted together. Part of being a parent is teaching your kids and wives how to be safe at the dragstrip.

I have a freind that used to insist on bringing his wife and little seven year old girl to the starting line and would get pissed if I didn't get them arm bands. You just can't help stupid. No matter how many mufflers we saw get thrown by a spinning tire and almost hurt someone or the many chunks of rubber and rocks they kept doing it.

Here it is Simpleton. A nitrous bottle in the pit next to you is the least of your worries at a Drag Strip. This like any of the million things that can take humans out of this world happened. Like Monte said FREAK ACCIDENT. Where there some added risk why sure there are in any pit next to any car. DEAL WITH IT OR STAY HOME IN YOUR BOX.

LEON

Was that response directed at me?

naw, he was hammering at someone else.

8.30's @3400 lbs
Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: Mike Swann] #679063
04/28/10 06:04 PM
04/28/10 06:04 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I have to admit that I have been lax when transporting extra bottles myself. That will change now.

However, getting hit by a stray bottle while at the track is the least of the things I would worry about. I am much more afraid of the idiots flying around on golf carts/scooters/etc., fools testing trans brakes on the ground, and the racers who feel it necessary to drive through the pits at 70 mph.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: slantzilla] #679064
04/28/10 06:06 PM
04/28/10 06:06 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

I have to admit that I have been lax when transporting extra bottles myself. That will change now.

However, getting hit by a stray bottle while at the track is the least of the things I would worry about. I am much more afraid of the idiots flying around on golf carts/scooters/etc., fools testing trans brakes on the ground, and the racers who feel it necessary to drive through the pits at 70 mph.

Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: camastomcat] #679065
04/28/10 08:41 PM
04/28/10 08:41 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South
Quote:

Quote:

Re: Mike Walker killed at SGMP [Re: DaKuda] #679066
04/28/10 08:47 PM
04/28/10 08:47 PM
Sidney Ohio
9SecRoadRunner Offline
super stock
9SecRoadRunner  Offline
super stock

Sidney Ohio
I'll stay out of the debate, but want to extend my deepest condolences to all of Mike Walkers family and friends...its a tragic loss and your all in my prayers

You Thinking It's So Doesn't Make It a Fact
Re: Mike Walker kiled at SGMP [Re: rickstershemi] #679067
04/28/10 10:43 PM
04/28/10 10:43 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Quote:

Saw that on the bullet this afternoon....very sad....RIP

Rick Blake

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4