04/18/10 04:34 PM
04/18/10 04:34 PM
Hilliard, Ohio
GKMOPAR Offline OP
mopar
GKMOPAR  Offline OP
mopar

Hilliard, Ohio
I am working on a 1970 Challenger with a rallye dash. My issue is that I am burning up instrument cluster voltage regulators. When I first hooked everything up the fuel, oil pressure and temp gauges did not work. I thought it was the instrument regulator. I found and purchased a new one and installed it with the same result. I then found another one and tested it first. I checked the input wire and I have 12 volts with the ignition on. I plugged the regulator in and tested voltage out and I got a pulsing reading of about 5 volts. I thought all is well so I connected the gauge wire. When I turned the key on I heard a click and the gauges still did not work. I took the regulator off and it rattled and had no output. Can a short in one of the gauges cause the regulator to blow? How can I test them to see if they are ok? What is the purpose of the condensor that plugs on the input terminal of the regulator? I am trying to figure out the next step.

Re: Challenger rallye dash issues [Re: GKMOPAR] #673896
04/18/10 10:04 PM
04/18/10 10:04 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

I am working on a 1970 Challenger with a rallye dash. My issue is that I am burning up instrument cluster voltage regulators. When I first hooked everything up the fuel, oil pressure and temp gauges did not work. I thought it was the instrument regulator. I found and purchased a new one and installed it with the same result. I then found another one and tested it first. I checked the input wire and I have 12 volts with the ignition on. I plugged the regulator in and tested voltage out and I got a pulsing reading of about 5 volts. I thought all is well so I connected the gauge wire. When I turned the key on I heard a click and the gauges still did not work. I took the regulator off and it rattled and had no output. Can a short in one of the gauges cause the regulator to blow? How can I test them to see if they are ok? What is the purpose of the condensor that plugs on the input terminal of the regulator? I am trying to figure out the next step.

Yes a shorted gauge can kill the regulator. There is a three way tentacle that connects with the gauges. Remove it and check the resistance to ground on each gauge. Use the lowest ohm scale. The gauges are pretty low resistance but you are looking for one that is zero ohms. Also check the condensor. It is there to reduce radio interference. It should read very high resistance. It may kick the needle to low when you first connect it. But it should go back up to high resistance as the condensor charges up.
When you figure out the resistance issue, you might investigate a solid state regulator from Dash Worx (a sponsor here). The OEM regulator is a bimetalic strip that heats up, breaks a contact, cools, makes contact again. The speed it does this lowers the voltage to a pulsating 5 volts. The condensor smooths out the voltage and keeps the noise from radiating through the wiring and to the radio. The technology is rather primitive.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado