04/18/10 03:19 PM
CO
I
ihv800 Offline OP
ihv800  Offline OP
I

CO
Hey guys,

I've got a '74 International Scout that has had a 440 swapped in. Few weeks ago I finished freshening up the motor and got everything back in. Got it started and it ran for a while, all seemed well until the main wire from the alternator burned up (like the alternator was trying to run at full capacity). For testing purposed I unhooked the voltage regulator so I could run the motor without the alternator trying to charge. It would run, but acted like it didn't quite have enough voltage to power the coil, engine would miss and sputter. Changed the coil and it seemed to help, but not quite fix it. Hooked up a battery charger and it would run correctly. The battery is a fully charged Optima Red Top. The amp gauge has never been working in the vehicle, but I've noticed the charging system has had a "surge" for quite some time (the you can see the headlights pulse) this was confirmed with an external amp gauge that showed a jumpy needle.

I replaced the voltage regulator and ran a heavier alternator wire, but it didn't seem to change much. I still have a jumpy amp reading and with no battery charger the motor starts and runs fine until the electric fan kicks on, the voltage draw causes it to miss and sputter.

Any ideas? I've done pretty much everything I can think of. What I can't figure out is I didn't mess with anything electrical when I had to motor out, and besides the "pulse" the charging system had everything was fine.

The Scout has been completely rewired and supports a standard Chrysler voltage regulator and Chrysler electronic ignition. The alternator is the great big 100amp one.

Thanks

Re: Odd voltage related electrical issues? [Re: ihv800] #673883
04/18/10 03:27 PM
04/18/10 03:27 PM
Spring Valley ,Ca.
moparsquid Offline
super stock
moparsquid  Offline
super stock

Spring Valley ,Ca.
first off i recomend replacing the oem amp guage and checking all grounds. and then check all wires for propper connection and routing .

Re: Odd voltage related electrical issues? [Re: ihv800] #673884
04/18/10 04:22 PM
04/18/10 04:22 PM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
Make sure you have good grounds. Body, motor all need to have good clean grounds. What voltage is alt putting out?

Re: Odd voltage related electrical issues? [Re: ihv800] #673885
04/18/10 05:14 PM
04/18/10 05:14 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'm wondering what made the alt main wire burn either a dead short to ground or a very heavy draw somewhere downstream from the alt. I'm assuming the Optima batt was added during the swap? Was it fully charged? Can you right now hook everything up & check voltages at every connection wo it frying anything?

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth