04/16/10 08:33 PM
04/16/10 08:33 PM
Georgia
W
wh23g3g Offline OP
wh23g3g  Offline OP
W

Georgia
I need to remove the steering shaft upper bearing housing on my 73 to change out the ignition switch that is bad. In the 73 service manual it calls it a steering shaft bearing remover and the original Chrysler number is C-4044. I can't find anything even equivalent to it even on EBAY. It looks basically like a socket with a washer that bolts to the bearing housing with a forcing screw through the middle that pulls the housing off the shaft. Wasn't there a company redoing Chrysler tools?

Re: Where can I purchase steering shaft bearing tool? [Re: wh23g3g] #671730
04/17/10 12:30 AM
04/17/10 12:30 AM
Orange Park, FL
MRHWS Offline
enthusiast
MRHWS  Offline
enthusiast

Orange Park, FL
Check your local parts stores and take the manual with you. They may have the tool to rent.

1973 Charger SE 1974 Charger Rallye 440 Aztec 2008 Charger SRT8
Re: Where can I purchase steering shaft bearing tool? [Re: wh23g3g] #671731
04/17/10 01:50 AM
04/17/10 01:50 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

I've taken hundreds apart, never needed the tool and never damaged anything.

After you have removed the snap ring and the screws holding the housings together bump the side and wiggle the upper housing off. If it doesn't come then place two screwdrivers on either side of the column and pry between the upper and middle housings.

Note: If you are working on the 73 and newer B-body columns they have a spring loaded shaft. when you go to reassemble it the shaft will have pulled itself down and you will need to draw it back out about 1/4 to 1/2" to install the snap ring. The tool you are looking for will not do that. You can probably use the standard GM Steering column depressor tool or what I do is put the nut back on the end of the shaft and pry against it to lift the shaft.

If you want to make that tool you are looking for just get a large washer a small section of pipe and a nut. Make sure the washer is big enough to go around the shaft and drill 3 holes in the washer so it can be screwed to the housing. Next weld teh pipe to the washer and then the nut to the other end of the pipe. Run a bolt in it and it will pull the housing off.

Re: Where can I purchase steering shaft bearing tool? [Re: IMGTX] #671732
04/17/10 08:07 AM
04/17/10 08:07 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I've taken hundreds apart, never needed the tool and never damaged anything.

After you have removed the snap ring and the screws holding the housings together bump the side and wiggle the upper housing off. If it doesn't come then place two screwdrivers on either side of the column and pry between the upper and middle housings.

Note: If you are working on the 73 and newer B-body columns they have a spring loaded shaft. when you go to reassemble it the shaft will have pulled itself down and you will need to draw it back out about 1/4 to 1/2" to install the snap ring. The tool you are looking for will not do that. You can probably use the standard GM Steering column depressor tool or what I do is put the nut back on the end of the shaft and pry against it to lift the shaft.

If you want to make that tool you are looking for just get a large washer a small section of pipe and a nut. Make sure the washer is big enough to go around the shaft and drill 3 holes in the washer so it can be screwed to the housing. Next weld teh pipe to the washer and then the nut to the other end of the pipe. Run a bolt in it and it will pull the housing off.

Re: Where can I purchase steering shaft bearing tool? [Re: Challenger 1] #671733
04/17/10 08:32 AM
04/17/10 08:32 AM
sweden
C
cuda-sweden Offline
mopar
cuda-sweden  Offline
mopar
C

sweden
there is a member selling them in the ,hm i think the raceparts/tools for sale section. miller is the company that made the tool,i got one on the bag.but i agree with the other members=easy to make tool.

Re: Where can I purchase steering shaft bearing tool? [Re: cuda-sweden] #671734
04/18/10 09:27 PM
04/18/10 09:27 PM
Georgia
W
wh23g3g Offline OP
wh23g3g  Offline OP
W

Georgia
I put the nut back on the shaft and ran it down flush and gently tapped it with a hammer. That's what all the veteran mechanics around here told me to do. It worked easily. I had to change the bearing anyway. I got a new bearing but no seal. The only one that has the outer seal is Collector's Auto Supply and it's not worth paying $79 for. The one I have can be reused. Do I need any tools to reinstall the housing? I've still got to install a new switch.

Re: Where can I purchase steering shaft bearing tool? [Re: wh23g3g] #671735
04/19/10 10:38 AM
04/19/10 10:38 AM
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

When it comes time to re-install the housing you will find the shaft has to be pulled back out.

I slide the housing on and screw the top housing to the middle housing.

I install the nut on the end of the shaft and get a long adjustable wrench. Adjust the wrench to fit the shaft under the nut and pry the shaft up until you can get the snap ring in the groove.

A towel between the housing and wrench handle will protect it from scratches.