H
Hessu Offline
enthusiast
Hessu  Offline
enthusiast
H

Finland
This is from summit pages:
Summit® has teamed up with Goodridge to bring you these top-quality AN fittings and adapters at regular-guy prices. These well-engineered fittings are designed to last in the toughest of conditions, from street to NASCAR.

Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: Monte_Smith] #656465
04/02/10 08:07 AM
04/02/10 08:07 AM
Westbury, NY
C
cowbay Offline
enthusiast
cowbay  Offline
enthusiast
C

Westbury, NY
Quote:

Quote:

I know for a fact that the summit brand carb is made in China and has had some issues as seen in some posts on this board and YB. It goes back to the saying if it looks to godd to be true than it is not.

That is incorrect. Summit carbs and regulators are made by Holley and come down the same line as the Holley parts. The carb has the one piece main body, with removeable top that Holley offered years ago. Holley no longer makes that carb as a Holley brand and is a private label build for Summit only. As far as the fittings, depends on who the lowest bidder was for this quarter

Monte

I have to disagree with you on that. It is my understanding the carb is assembled in the USA with Chinese manufactured components.

"Alcohol is for drinking, gas is for cleaning parts, and nitro is for racing!" original author unknown, used by Gene Adams and Don Garlits among others
Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: cowbay] #656466
04/02/10 09:03 AM
04/02/10 09:03 AM
State of Corruption
camdog440 Offline
pro stock
camdog440  Offline
pro stock

State of Corruption
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know for a fact that the summit brand carb is made in China and has had some issues as seen in some posts on this board and YB. It goes back to the saying if it looks to godd to be true than it is not.

That is incorrect. Summit carbs and regulators are made by Holley and come down the same line as the Holley parts. The carb has the one piece main body, with removeable top that Holley offered years ago. Holley no longer makes that carb as a Holley brand and is a private label build for Summit only. As far as the fittings, depends on who the lowest bidder was for this quarter

Monte

I have to disagree with you on that. It is my understanding the carb is assembled in the USA with Chinese manufactured components.

So, because the parts were manufactured in China and assembled in the USA the carbs couldn't be Holley products? I think Monte has it right. Edelbrock imports components from China as well.

Court docs...

FACTS
Plaintiff Holley Performance Products, Inc. (“Holley”), is a manufacturer of specialized
automobile parts including high performance carburetors, superchargers, and throttle body fuel
injection systems, which are specifically designed for racing applications. According to Holley, every
race car in the NASCAR Nextel Cup and every race car driven by a NHRA Pro-Stock champion uses
a carburetor manufactured by Holley. (Plaintiff’s Complaint, ¶ 14).
In 2005, Holley began contractual negotiations with Defendant Smith-CNC China Networking
1 The Agreement also provided: “The respective rights and duties of the parties are to be determined, in
accordance with the law of the State of Kentucky, USA, exclusive of any provisions related to conflict of laws.
(Agreement, p.10, § Q).
Company (“Smith-CNC”). Holley wanted Smith-CNC to facilitate the manufacturing of certain types
of Holley component parts in China. Prior to the execution of a final agreement, Holley provided
Smith-CNC with the documentation it needed to make the “toolings”- or molds - that were necessary
to manufacture the component parts Holley planned to order. Subsequently, Smith-CNC arranged for
a Chinese manufacturer to fabricate the tooling at issue in this case which was to be used in the
manufacturing of component parts. In June 2005, Holley and Smith-CNC formally entered into a
contract which provided that Smith-CNC would sell and deliver to Holley certain types of component
parts that Smith-CNC would have manufactured in China. (Ex.A-2, Holley Performance Products
Agreement).The Agreement specifically states that “all tooling used in the production of the Products
(“Tooling”) is owned by and is the property of Holley.” (Agreement, p. 8, § L.).1 Pursuant to this
Agreement, Chinese manufacturers began to manufacture component parts for Holley.

Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: modified1090] #656467
04/02/10 09:32 AM
04/02/10 09:32 AM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

i am looking to buy some braided line and fittings to replace my fuel system. in my search for what i needed i was pricing aeroquip brand then came across the summit brand and it is considerably cheaper.

i was wondering who makes this stuff. is it aeroquip or earls just with the summit name on it?

I have used a bunch of the Summit branded braided hose and fittings. I have been happy with it.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: camdog440] #656468
04/02/10 01:03 PM
04/02/10 01:03 PM
Westbury, NY
C
cowbay Offline
enthusiast
cowbay  Offline
enthusiast
C

Westbury, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

So, because the parts were manufactured in China and assembled in the USA the carbs couldn't be Holley products? I think Monte has it right. Edelbrock imports components from China as well.

Court docs...

FACTS
Plaintiff Holley Performance Products, Inc. (“Holley”), is a manufacturer of specialized
automobile parts including high performance carburetors, superchargers, and throttle body fuel
injection systems, which are specifically designed for racing applications. According to Holley, every
race car in the NASCAR Nextel Cup and every race car driven by a NHRA Pro-Stock champion uses
a carburetor manufactured by Holley. (Plaintiff’s Complaint, ¶ 14).
In 2005, Holley began contractual negotiations with Defendant Smith-CNC China Networking
1 The Agreement also provided: “The respective rights and duties of the parties are to be determined, in
accordance with the law of the State of Kentucky, USA, exclusive of any provisions related to conflict of laws.
(Agreement, p.10, § Q).
Company (“Smith-CNC”). Holley wanted Smith-CNC to facilitate the manufacturing of certain types
of Holley component parts in China. Prior to the execution of a final agreement, Holley provided
Smith-CNC with the documentation it needed to make the “toolings”- or molds - that were necessary
to manufacture the component parts Holley planned to order. Subsequently, Smith-CNC arranged for
a Chinese manufacturer to fabricate the tooling at issue in this case which was to be used in the
manufacturing of component parts. In June 2005, Holley and Smith-CNC formally entered into a
contract which provided that Smith-CNC would sell and deliver to Holley certain types of component
parts that Smith-CNC would have manufactured in China. (Ex.A-2, Holley Performance Products
Agreement).The Agreement specifically states that “all tooling used in the production of the Products
(“Tooling”) is owned by and is the property of Holley.” (Agreement, p. 8, § L.).1 Pursuant to this
Agreement, Chinese manufacturers began to manufacture component parts for Holley.

I do not disagree with that point, but to me assembling in the USA is not manufacturing in the USA. It is all a matter of symantics tomato or tomater. I try to whenever possible try to use USA made products, but sometimes there is no choice because it is no longer made here on our shores. As for me I am using an origional modified Carter Carb form the 60's so I can say without a doubt it was made and assembled here.

"Alcohol is for drinking, gas is for cleaning parts, and nitro is for racing!" original author unknown, used by Gene Adams and Don Garlits among others
Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: cowbay] #656469
04/02/10 01:04 PM
04/02/10 01:04 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

You can disagree all you want, but you are wrong. Seeing as how I work for Holley, I think I know the deal. We (Holley) have the castings done by various companies, be it intakes, carbs, whatever, we do not cast our own parts. Holley stopped production on the carbs in question, because they were not popular. When Summit wanted their own private label carb, these parts were to again be made. But in an effort to keep the costs low (a Summit requirement) the castings were contracted to a Chinese company, because of lower costs. The raw, Chinese castings are 100% machined, assembled, tested, boxed and shipped, from the Holley plant, in Bowling Green Kentucky........By the way, I was there for 3 days this week, doing some dyno testing, if I had known this was a concern, I would have snapped you a pic of the carbs being machined and assembled.....

Monte

Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: Monte_Smith] #656470
04/02/10 01:41 PM
04/02/10 01:41 PM
Westbury, NY
C
cowbay Offline
enthusiast
cowbay  Offline
enthusiast
C

Westbury, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

You can disagree all you want, but you are wrong. Seeing as how I work for Holley, I think I know the deal. We (Holley) have the castings done by various companies, be it intakes, carbs, whatever, we do not cast our own parts. Holley stopped production on the carbs in question, because they were not popular. When Summit wanted their own private label carb, these parts were to again be made. But in an effort to keep the costs low (a Summit requirement) the castings were contracted to a Chinese company, because of lower costs. The raw, Chinese castings are 100% machined, assembled, tested, boxed and shipped, from the Holley plant, in Bowling Green Kentucky........By the way, I was there for 3 days this week, doing some dyno testing, if I had known this was a concern, I would have snapped you a pic of the carbs being machined and assembled.....

Monte

I Stand corrected. I will admit to my mistake

Re: who makes the summit brand stuff? [Re: cowbay] #656471
04/02/10 06:52 PM
04/02/10 06:52 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
It is not really a big deal and not trying to be an a$$ about it, but I did not want anyone to get the impression, that Holley sells any carbs that are manufactured in China, be it private label or not.

Monte

Page 2 of 2 1 2