Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: fastfish] #606008
02/08/10 08:33 PM
02/08/10 08:33 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
All the old guys always told me that the #1 cylinder on a 340 will "Crack and fall off" at the 600 HP mark. However, I know boost is much easier on the block and if you only need 750 then you can probably do it.

I'd atleast go with a resto block just for peace of mind though.

Last edited by Malicious®; 02/08/10 08:34 PM.
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: fastfish] #606009
02/08/10 08:48 PM
02/08/10 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

8's on a stock block....

Nice car by the way.

Thats what I was thinking...

why not dakuda????????
8.90's, low 9's...the car needs about 700HP to the rear wheels...approx 850 to the flywheel. will it be work? Yes. Is it impossible? no. we've been there done that....for 15 years now we've been building engines and cars with forced induction...we are not a fly by night, back-yard garage.
yet there's this aura of negativity and doubt in our abilities....why?

have some faith mopar peeps!
You guys are too negative! damn....

I don't necessarily think guys are being negative, it's just that a LOT of us have seen stock blocks break going mid 10's, and you're obviously shooting to go much quicker than that........ so it's surprising..... Usually, by the time the money is spent to make a stock block live behind some really good HP, you could've put another $500 or $1,000 with that money spent and have a new block......

I've got a good 230 casting 400 that's making about 590HP and I'm afraid to spray 150, even with a good tune-up......

Good luck with it......

Wayne

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: fastfish] #606010
02/08/10 09:59 PM
02/08/10 09:59 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
"So what HP level will we be at when the block splits? What are you willing to wager when we prove you wrong? Bill"

No need to wager, sounds like you know a lot more about it than I. I have no experience with forced induction, but my experience running high compression small blocks tracks with what Wayne says, when they can easily run 10.50s its just a matter of time before they split a cylinder wall.

Like I said good luck, I wish you well,
Bill

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: 340Cuda] #606011
02/08/10 10:07 PM
02/08/10 10:07 PM
south central pa
bdaz smblk Offline
mopar
bdaz smblk  Offline
mopar

south central pa
I love my small blocks.Have never ran anything but.But forced induction plus stock block mopar.Hope you have better luck than I have in the past with the 10 head bolts.Good luck and keep us posted Kenny

3120lb, small block, 10.5" tire, NA, through exhaust, full int, WITH 83/4 REAR, 9.0 at 150mph
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: fastfish] #606012
02/08/10 11:11 PM
02/08/10 11:11 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
You always have the coolest projects! And I didn't know you were a 'her' LOL. Did that white shirt get dirty?

Keep us posted!

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: ProSport] #606013
02/08/10 11:23 PM
02/08/10 11:23 PM
ohio
H
HEMIDARTS Offline
master
HEMIDARTS  Offline
master
H

ohio
Sounds like fun!! If you say you can do it, i believe you.

The best way to shut someone up, is throw it right in there face!!!

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: HEMIDARTS] #606014
02/09/10 06:12 AM
02/09/10 06:12 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
talk is just that - talk - till you can back it up!

well I was at the track with Scott & Wendy and thy talked the talk, and then proceeded to walk the walk!

brought a car, that was never on the track with its new engine, front suspension, and rear suspension....

sure the line lock was buggin out and the car was pushing through the converter, but they built it to run the 8.50 index class - guess what it ran - RIGHT OFF THE TRAILER?

8.50 - with a 3!

yeah - they brought the backup in the form of a qualifying timeslip. Luck? maybe, but I dont know many people who could do that right off the trailer!

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: DJVCuda] #606015
02/09/10 07:54 AM
02/09/10 07:54 AM
east coast
Otherlane Offline
super stock
Otherlane  Offline
super stock

east coast
I dont think that motor is waiting for anything that youre planning on doing or running.sell it to someone that restoring a 340 car and get you a race block than start from there.it will save you alot of money in the long run

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: SRT6776] #606016
02/09/10 10:25 AM
02/09/10 10:25 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

All the old guys always told me that the #1 cylinder on a 340 will "Crack and fall off" at the 600 HP mark. However, I know boost is much easier on the block and if you only need 750 then you can probably do it.

I'd atleast go with a resto block just for peace of mind though.

All the "old guys" have been cycled into using what they had available to them and "making" it work instead of finding & fixing the real root of the problem.
There's nothing wrong with the block - it's poor fuel distribution....that's why we made a cast aluminum fuel injection intake manifold...it'll be ready for release hopefully this summer...we've got a few prototypes out there being run thru the ringer...

73 Challenger 8.518 @ 158MPH, 1970 turbo duster in the works...check us out at www.youtube.com/sdconcepts
and www.facebook.com/sdconcepts
We can also be seen in the December 2008 issue of Mopar Muscle magazine!
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: Otherlane] #606017
02/09/10 10:28 AM
02/09/10 10:28 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

I dont think that motor is waiting for anything that youre planning on doing or running.sell it to someone that restoring a 340 car and get you a race block than start from there.it will save you alot of money in the long run

Not sure what you mean by that....and I'm going to say it like it is...it sounds to me like you're implying that I'm "lying" and to be honest, that pisses me off a little! That is THE actual engine I will be using. I have nothing to gain by lying, my friend...just because everyone else blows smoke where the sun don't shine, doesn't mean we do....
For anyone interested, I do have another 340 engine in the same condition as shown in that picture for sale if you want it...came out running....$2500.00 and it's yours....

Last edited by fastfish; 02/09/10 11:19 AM.

73 Challenger 8.518 @ 158MPH, 1970 turbo duster in the works...check us out at www.youtube.com/sdconcepts
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: DJVCuda] #606018
02/09/10 10:36 AM
02/09/10 10:36 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

talk is just that - talk - till you can back it up!

well I was at the track with Scott & Wendy and thy talked the talk, and then proceeded to walk the walk!

brought a car, that was never on the track with its new engine, front suspension, and rear suspension....

sure the line lock was buggin out and the car was pushing through the converter, but they built it to run the 8.50 index class - guess what it ran - RIGHT OFF THE TRAILER?

8.50 - with a 3!

yeah - they brought the backup in the form of a qualifying timeslip. Luck? maybe, but I dont know many people who could do that right off the trailer!

thanks, djvcuda!!! I think it was a combination of a few things, Scott's talent, mike's golden horseshoe, luck, and I think the Depends had something to do with it! LOL!

Did you see that he ran an 8.36 at Shakedown? That was after Scott took some power away!! And Mike lifted!!!

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: HEMIDARTS] #606019
02/09/10 10:56 AM
02/09/10 10:56 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

Sounds like fun!! If you say you can do it, i believe you.

The best way to shut someone up, is throw it right in there face!!!

Thanks Hemidart...not trying to throw anything in anyone's face, sorry if it came across that way. I'm just sick of "trying to push the tide and ending up with a mouth full of salt water"!! LOL! We've been down this road before with the mopar crowd when we introduced the supercharger stuff back in the mid 90's...it's the same broken record all over again! We're not a fly-by-night back yard mechanic...we have many year's experience. If no one thinks outside the box, then everyone is stuck with the same end results as what has been happening and no new innovations would come out! We work with all makes and models...when you understand how an engine works, you don't care what the badge on the grill is...we take all the knowledge and experience we learn from ALL of them and apply it to how we build every engine and every car. (climbing off soapbox now!!!)
This car is being built how I want it. I want it to look stock. I want the stock 340 block. I want it to be fast! Do we recommend this type of build for everyone? NO! Will it work for what we need? YES! If Scott can build a 5100# daily driver/tow truck/sneak attack on unsuspecting Z06's 1989 GMC truck with a STOCK 350 block and his single turbo kit that runs 11.50's in the quarter, then he sure as hell can handle building a 340 that can run 8's/9's!! Here's some info on the truck...
Check this video out....
horsepower happens here! sd tow

I just noticed Scott is flipping me off in this picture!! LOL! Wonder if he was sick of me following him around with the camera??!! LOL!

Last edited by fastfish; 02/09/10 11:00 AM.

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: bigsbigelow] #606020
02/09/10 11:02 AM
02/09/10 11:02 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

Good lookin' Duster fastfish. Do you guys have any job openings, maybe need a CAD tech.? I really like your out of the box approach to things and would love to contribute to a company like yours.

Hi Ryan,

We're always looking for good help! But aren't we a bit of a commute from Michigan???

Do you have any solidworks experience? email me your resume.... sdconcepts@yahoo.com

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS #606021
02/09/10 11:14 AM
02/09/10 11:14 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

8's on a stock block....

Nice car by the way.

Thats what I was thinking...

why not dakuda????????
8.90's, low 9's...the car needs about 700HP to the rear wheels...approx 850 to the flywheel. will it be work? Yes. Is it impossible? no. we've been there done that....for 15 years now we've been building engines and cars with forced induction...we are not a fly by night, back-yard garage.
yet there's this aura of negativity and doubt in our abilities....why?

have some faith mopar peeps!
You guys are too negative! damn....

I don't necessarily think guys are being negative, it's just that a LOT of us have seen stock blocks break going mid 10's, and you're obviously shooting to go much quicker than that........ so it's surprising..... Usually, by the time the money is spent to make a stock block live behind some really good HP, you could've put another $500 or $1,000 with that money spent and have a new block......

I've got a good 230 casting 400 that's making about 590HP and I'm afraid to spray 150, even with a good tune-up......

Good luck with it......

Wayne

Thanks for sharing your Wayne.

First, we're not like ALOT of other guys...Second, I wanted the stock block. My Duster's first priority is to be a street car.
When we took all factors into consideration, no matter what block I use, aside from adding main caps, it will cost about the same for all machining ops and block prep. Buying an aftermarket block adds upwards of $1000 depending on what block we chose.
I have 3 complete 340 engines that I've had for over 13 years...I don't have a race block nor do I have the funds for a race block...another reason it made sense for me to stick with the stock block....not to mention, if Scott can make a stock chevy 350 cid live in an 800 PLUS 5100 lb truck running 11's (see my other post), then I have all the faith in the world that he can make my little stock 340 make 750 to the flywheel!

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: ProSport] #606022
02/09/10 11:28 AM
02/09/10 11:28 AM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

You always have the coolest projects! And I didn't know you were a 'her' LOL. Did that white shirt get dirty?

Keep us posted!

hahaha...prosport! Sorry, I'm a "her"!! Should I burp and fart, and scratch myself when replying to make ya feel better?!! LOL!
My sweatshirt didn't get dirty that time! LOL! I'm sure in the next few months, I'll be covered in crap from head to toe! I have every intention of doing as much as I can on this build with Scott. I'm really excited and can't wait to get into the build!
I've always been a die-hard mopar chick....my first car ever was a POS 73 Barracuda that I bought all by myself....my parents thought I was nuts and I'll never forget the looks on their faces when I brought it home! That was my favorite car ever, and still is to this day!

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: 340Cuda] #606023
02/09/10 12:07 PM
02/09/10 12:07 PM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

"Looks like its going to be a cool car, a cool car with some split cylinder walls, we have split cylinder walls on half grouted blocks making less power than what is being talked about here.
So what HP level will we be at when the block splits? What are you willing to wager when we prove you wrong? Bill"

No need to wager, sounds like you know a lot more about it than I. I have no experience with forced induction, but my experience running high compression small blocks tracks with what Wayne says, when they can easily run 10.50s its just a matter of time before they split a cylinder wall.

Like I said good luck, I wish you well,
Bill

Thanks for the well wishes Bill, but, let me ask you this if you don't mind.
Knowing very little about forced induction, why would your first statement in this thread state how it can't be done and we're going to split the block???

Again, I'm going to say it how I feel, and I mean no disrespect to anyone here....
Forced induction is like black magic voo-doo to the mopar crowd. you guys are so stuck in the "old school" mentality and as a whole, you're not open to any new innovations.
Which is cool but don't expect much more than what you already get...the same results you've been getting! Where would this world be if Edison didn't think outside the box and make a light bulb?
That's what we do...we think outside the box and make Mopars go fast as hell! On stock parts! Take it or leave it, we innovate HP's...
We're not Barton, we're not Indy...we don't build motors like they do.
We're SDCE! And we specialize in forced induction.
The "old school" guys told us all the same things you guys are saying word for word...and they were saying it for the same reasons you all say it. Because they know very little about it.
It's funny that about 10 years ago we had a conversation with Ray Barton and he laughed at us and told us there's no way we'd be able to do it....when we asked why not, he clammed up and walked away!!! Because he didn't know...
hm...it's funny how Barton sells supercharger stuff now though....
There's no reason why forced induction can't work for mopars old and new. The OEM puts superchargers and turbos on many factory cars. the chevy and ford aftermarket crowds have accepted it with open arms and have for MANY years now....
So get with the times you mopar guys! Old school and retro is cool and we certainly appreciate it. But if you're after something new, different, and faster, you need to think outside the box and consider forced induction....hang on for the ride and we'll show you how....like we've been trying to for the last 15 freakin' years! LOL!

Last edited by fastfish; 02/09/10 12:08 PM.

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: fastfish] #606024
02/09/10 12:26 PM
02/09/10 12:26 PM
PA
moparacer Offline
top fuel
moparacer  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

I seen some that split more then a cylinder wall lol.

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: fastfish] #606025
02/09/10 12:39 PM
02/09/10 12:39 PM
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
bigsbigelow Offline
pro stock
bigsbigelow  Offline
pro stock

St. Clair Shores, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Good lookin' Duster fastfish. Do you guys have any job openings, maybe need a CAD tech.? I really like your out of the box approach to things and would love to contribute to a company like yours.

Hi Ryan,

We're always looking for good help! But aren't we a bit of a commute from Michigan???

Do you have any solidworks experience? email me your resume.... sdconcepts@yahoo.com

Email sent

Thank you

Ryan "Bigs" '73 Duster (BLKDUST) - Black, 100% factory sheet metal, flat hood, 346 cid, J Heads, and a bench seat. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/bigsbigelow/ Best to date: 12.40 @ 109 mph
Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: moparacer] #606026
02/09/10 12:46 PM
02/09/10 12:46 PM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
I'm not trying to start a war but...

Why does it only take 850hp to get the duster to go high 8's, but it takes 1300hp Big Block to get the challenger to go mid-8's?

It's not THAT much lighter...

Like I said, no disrespect, but comments like that make us continue not to believe in the "voodoo black magic" of boost...

Re: My Duster's back from body shop for cage install! PICS [Re: dizuster] #606027
02/09/10 06:36 PM
02/09/10 06:36 PM
Northeast
F
fastfish Offline OP
enthusiast
fastfish  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Northeast
Quote:

I'm not trying to start a war but...

Why does it only take 850hp to get the duster to go high 8's, but it takes 1300hp Big Block to get the challenger to go mid-8's?

It's not THAT much lighter...

Like I said, no disrespect, but comments like that make us continue not to believe in the "voodoo black magic" of boost...

There are a few reasons that come into play...superchargers have parasitic loss. It takes horsepower to spin the supercharger. A turbo runs off exhaust so there is no parasitic loss.
To answer your question simply, it didn't take 1300FWHP to make the Chally go 8.50's...she made 1140. Right now as she sits, the Chally motor makes about 1300 to the flywheel. We haven't run it yet with the 1300. 275-325 HP of that HP is chewed up just to spin the D3M blower...

Here's a chart of flywheel HP verses rear wheel horsepower verses the quarter mile times for the Challenger to give some perspective of where the Duster will fall...this is real test data that was done on our engine dyno, then on our chassis dyno, then the real test - the track.

wheel HP quarter mile time flywheel HP
720 / 8.89's @ 149 mph / 890 (3500 lbs)
920 / 8.514 @ 158 mph / 1140(3500 lbs)
1004 / hasn't been run yet / 1290(3500 lbs)

Now here's the specs for Mike's Duster when it was Supercharged. He weighed 3380.

730 / 8.90 @ 152 / 990

Here's where my Duster will probably fall.

670 / 8.90's / 850

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3